SASS Wire Forum

Depriming problem

You want to see some pretty 38 brass?  I was cleaning up from the Hell on the Border, Arkansas State championship and put my brass in my tumbler with walnut media.This would have been on the 19th of March.  I tumble in an isolated area away from hearing.  I remembered them on the  26th.  Really pretty!

I've gone away from wet tumbling and back to walnut.

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362
1 hour ago, Noz said:

You want to see some pretty 38 brass?  I was cleaning up from the Hell on the Border, Arkansas State championship and put my brass in my tumbler with walnut media.This would have been on the 19th of March.  I tumble in an isolated area away from hearing.  I remembered them on the  26th.  Really pretty!

YUP! wet tumbling is over rated. IMHO :FlagAm:

2 hours ago, Noz said:

And on the 7th day Noz created new brass.  :lol:  Sorry when I saw how many days I couldn't resist, no insult intended.

On 3/27/2019 at 7:13 AM, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

I dry tumble, but I would think that wet tumbling would be best suited to de-primed brass. Specifically to clean the primer pocket.

Thoughts?

Is anybody familiar with any good evaluation of primer pocket enlargement or tapering resulting from wet tumbling with steel rods? 

It sure seems like the steel-to-brass contact has to erode or peen the brass in some way.  

6 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Is anybody familiar with any good evaluation of primer pocket enlargement or tapering resulting from wet tumbling with steel rods? 

It sure seems like the steel-to-brass contact has to erode or peen the brass in some way.  

It don't unless you tumble for days.........:lol:

Pins or ceramic media do a great job, just as long as you use a SLO turning tumbler.

OLG

22 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

But if it "attacked" the primer pocket, wouldn't it erode the rest of the brass as well? Like OLG said, if you tumbled for days maybe, but then wouldn't any abrasive media?

16 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

But if it "attacked" the primer pocket, wouldn't it erode the rest of the brass as well? Like OLG said, if you tumbled for days maybe, but then wouldn't any abrasive media?

I don't see how peening, work hardening and abrasion can be avoided in any ss-to-brass kinetic contact.   You know there is scour, if the deposits are being removed.  And we know that dishwashong products are quite abrasive. 

I've never thought to mic the case thickness after several cleanings. And I doubt it would mean very much.   Case lip thickness is likely to be much more altered by cartridge firing than by cleaning. 

But primer pocket geometry is a different question.  There is normally very little pocket deformation from firing, depending on annealing practices.  And a half-thousandth difference in geometry could make a pronounced difference in seating tightness.  That is why I brought up the question.  

8 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I don't see how peening, work hardening and abrasion can be avoided in any ss-to-brass kinetic contact.   You know there is scour, if the deposits are being removed.  And we know that dishwashong products are quite abrasive. 

I've never thought to mic the case thickness after several cleanings. And I doubt it would mean very much.   Case lip thickness is likely to be much more altered by cartridge firing than by cleaning. 

But primer pocket geometry is a different question.  There is normally very little pocket deformation from firing, depending on annealing practices.  And a half-thousandth difference in geometry could make a pronounced difference in seating tightness.  That why I brought up the question.  

Obviously, you do not wet tumble your 'brass'.

I have been doing so for 15+ years(ceramic)and have never had any case damage issue.

This is what I use-The tumbler is the low-speed version.

https://shilohrifle.com/cleaning-supplies/thumler-tumbler-model-b/

My brass comes out looking like polished gold, inside and out including the primer pockets.

I tumble for 1 1/2 hrs(timer).

I also know of many folks the use 'pins' with the same tumbler I use. No case damage.

Remember-The media is in a soapy water solution.......

OLG

10 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Obviously, you do not wet tumble your 'brass'.

Don't be jumping to such hasty conclusions, pard.  Actually I do wet tumble the brass, which is why I have these case damage questions.  After you tumble for three or Four hours for the fifth time, without ever annealing the brass, that is exactly the same thing as tumbling all day long, and why I was asking.   

My original question was if anyone is aware of any factual evaluations that have been done, (as opposed to anecdotal info).  Hearing none, I guess I am about where I began. 

But it does sound like a lot of us are wet tumbling without apparent case damage.  So I guess l will quit being concerned.  

Thanks everyone.  

9 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Don't be jumping to such hasty conclusions, pard.  Actually I do wet tumble the brass, which is why I have these case damage questions.  After you tumble for three or Four hours for the fifth time, without ever annealing the brass, that is exactly the same thing as tumbling all day long, and why I was asking.   

My original question was if anyone is aware of any factual evaluations that have been done, (as opposed to anecdotal info).  Hearing none, I guess I am about where I began. 

But it does sound like a lot of us are wet tumbling without apparent case damage.  So I guess l will quit being concerned.  

Thanks everyone.  

My response, is based on many years of wet-tumbling.

My rifle brass(from 5.56 to .50BMG, this includes some BP calibers also)is annealed(I do it).

I use ceramic and a couple of my buddies use 'pins'.

We all use the same brand tumbler. As long as you don't overload media or cases, you won't have any damage.

Our cases are shiny as new after about 1 1/2hr.

Carry on-

OLG

Archived