SASS Wire Forum

Beloved F-150

Lawdog Dago Dom

Proud owner of a 1994 F-150. Straight 6 cylinder. Got it from a municipal auction about ten years ago with 64K on it. Now has around 116K. I've been using conventional motor oil, and change every 5K.

I have had no mechanical problems other than routine maintenance. Not burning oil. Truck does no towing or plowing. Just light errands.

Was told I should consider running a synthetic blend or full synthetic oil because of the age of the engine.

Was also told keep going with regular motor oil.

Ideas?

Thank you.

LDD

I am old school. If the engine is happy with it's current oil why change. I still change my oil every 3K just because it makes me feel better. I have read that almost all oil contains some synthetic anyway. I have a case  of non-detergent oil that I used in my Model A Ford. May buy another A sometime.

I would just keep running conventional.

I owned a 93 F150 short bed 5 speed with the 300 straight six. Gawd I kick myself for selling it. It was my favorite truck. Easy to work on and tough as nails.

MY F250 has about 175,000 on it now. I use Pennzoil High Mileage

The semi synthetic "High Mileage" oils have additives that condition the seals to keep them soft and pliable to help slow down oil loss/consumption. I use it in my 97 Dakota, my 05 Magnum RT,my wifes 96 300c and my Moms 05 Saturn Vue. It's good stuff and will help the engine last longer and run better. I found out about it when I was running a Valvoline Oil change shop, I had customers that used it with over 300,000 miles on their engines and no mechanical problems.

Ol' Green is a '97 Chevy 3500 HD Dually with a few miles short of 385,000.  I used Kendal 20W50 in the winter and 60W in the summer until Kendal sold out.  Their new oil isn't anything like the original.  I now use Valvoline 20W 50 in the winter and their racing 60W in the summer.  Considering that I've abused the HELL out of this old truck, I'm satisfied with the results.

I used Kendal 70W in my old Harley because it uses roller bearings throughout the reciprocating assembly.  I now use Pencraft 70W racing oil.  It is what used to be Brad Penn and before that it was the Kendal racing formula.  It's damned expensive and hard to find around here, so Ol' Green gets the Valvoline and the Harley gets what it needs!!

My rat rod is powered by an old 153 inch Nova four banger!  It has the original hydraulic flat tappet camshaft and lifters.  I use a zinc enriched oil in it because the new synthetic motor oils do NOT have zinc and don't protect these older, non roller cam assemblies.  That old truck will need a dose of some zinc additive to enjoy a longer, more harmonious existence!!  You can buy the additive at most parts houses and I'd say, give it a dose every other oil change.

Don't switch.

I ain't a mechanic but I will share a PERSONAL story from 3 previous vehicles:  2 cars, 1 truck.

For the first 50+K miles, I used convention 10w30 and 10w40  HD Pennzoil.   NO PROBLEMS.

On all 3 vehicles, I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic and within the next 10K miles, I was burning oil.

Nothing major, but I was having to check my oil every couple 'K' and add about a pint of oil (a quart every 5K).

My 276K Toyota Tacoma only gets conventional, and I have NO issues with it.

My new 2017 Tacoma came from the factory with synthetic and recommends synthetic oil only..... so thats

what it will get.

..........Widder

I don't blame you for bragging about getting 116k miles on a ford.:ph34r:

A guy explained it to me this way. Those gaskets and seals get "used" to the oil you run. If you change over to synthetic, it will inevitably find a way through or around those gaskets. That makes sense.

The why of it could be a couple things. Conventional oil is made from crude. Synthetic oil is made from an oil biproduct and contains esters(alchohol). Those are hard on gaskets and seals in older vehicles. On older vehicles, the gaskets arent as tight as well. Synthetic oil is really good at cleaning out sludge and grime and stuff. That sludge and grime and stuff can be acting as a sealant for the gaskets. When it's cleaned out, hello leaks.

Keep using what you are.

Stay with the one brand name because different refiners use different 'chem-packs' and that will affect your seals.

Might want to step up a grade weight because of mileage on the engine.

What weight oil are you using?

OLG

15 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Keep using what you are.

Stay with the one brand name because different refiners use different 'chem-packs' and that will affect your seals.

Might want to step up a grade weight because of mileage on the engine.

What weight oil are you using?

OLG

30 weight by Mobil

No need to convert at this point - stay with the regular oil you have been using. I use full synthetic (factory came with semi-synthetic) in my V10, but started around the 20k mark. 165k and the engine's happy. I reckon yours is too on it's diet. :)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

On 3/26/2019 at 8:16 PM, Major E A Sterner #12916 said:

The semi synthetic "High Mileage" oils have additives that condition the seals to keep them soft and pliable to help slow down oil loss/consumption. I use it in my 97 Dakota, my 05 Magnum RT,my wifes 96 300c and my Moms 05 Saturn Vue. It's good stuff and will help the engine last longer and run better. I found out about it when I was running a Valvoline Oil change shop, I had customers that used it with over 300,000 miles on their engines and no mechanical problems.

Exactly what my mechanic says!;)

Speaking of Fords..... A friend of mine recently turned 80.   He has always been a big Ford man.

So, I bought him a nice 'Ford' pocket knife.   Its a beautiful bluish, small folding knife with 'FORD' on it.

Anyhow, when I went to buy it, the salesman ask me if I wanted an 'Extended Warranty' on it

in case he keeps it longer than a year.......... :lol::lol::lol:

..........Widder

47 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Speaking of Fords..... A friend of mine recently turned 80.   He has always been a big Ford man.

So, I bought him a nice 'Ford' pocket knife.   Its a beautiful bluish, small folding knife with 'FORD' on it.

Anyhow, when I went to buy it, the salesman ask me if I wanted an 'Extended Warranty' on it

in case he keeps it longer than a year.......... :lol::lol::lol:

..........Widder

That's funny right there but quit picking on people younger than you. 

Archived