SASS Wire Forum

CAS is SOOOO Expensive ...

Juiceharp Jen

Yeah, If I need to shoot something a few hundred yards away I will just drive over and shoot it with my cheap guns up close and personal. :D

yes competitive long range shooting is spendy. I have over 6K in my F Class rifle that I shoot MAYBE 6 times a year..... BUT I enjoy the heck out of it!

2 hours ago, Juiceharp Jen said:

... until you get into competitive long range shooting.  I’ve never spent so much money on something in all my life unless it was a house or a car.

You obviously are NOT a man and have never had a 'high maintenance' girl friend..... :D

..........Widder

Wild harvested meat, either shot or caught, is the most expensive food on the planet.

2 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

You obviously are NOT a man and have never had a 'high maintenance' girl friend..... :D

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Juiceharp Jen said:

Your high maintenance girlfriend studied at the knee of Wildcard Bill.  Guaranteed!

Translation: She has a "high maintenance" boy friend. :D

I thought our CAS guns tender to be expensive until I started looking at some USPSA and 2 gun “race” guns. Holy Cow$$$!!!  3 to $5,000 for a semi auto. $1,900 and more for a pistol caliber carbine? And the list goes on. I bought a BB gun instead!!!!!!

2 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

How so?

Gas, guns, clothes, licenses, butcher fees, freezer, time off work, daughter shoots bigger bucks and never stops rubbing it in.... need I go on?

Just now, Michigan Slim said:

Gas, guns, clothes, licenses, butcher fees, freezer, time off work, daughter shoots bigger bucks and never stops rubbing it in.... need I go on?

Fair enough. 

The last few I've harvested have been on my farm. No license, short drive, guns and clothes I don't count. We usually cut them up ourselves and freeze most of it so no butcher either.

Howdy,

You can get a small fortune racing cars.

Just have to start with a large fortune.

And you can sell used colts rugers Winchesters or whatever.

Try selling used race tires, engines or transmissions.

However I once did make a little money selling a stack of suspension

parts to a fella I regularly beat..... I was changing classes so didn't care.

Best

CR

12 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I dont understand how that makes harvesting a wild animal expensive?

We ran our home based business for 25 years.   It got to where the only thing I hunted were deer on our on property.   I'd set in the woods and get to thinking about the money I could be making at my work only a few hundred yards away.  I'd see a customer pull in so go tend to that.  They'd ask, "Why ain't you out deer hunting?"  Well, I was until you showed up.  They were deer hunting but got bored and thought they would drive around to get warmed up.   

I got to where I slipped out to the building with my rifle.  A couple of seasons I potted a deer while walking out. Crap! Now I have to deal with it.  Figured each deer cost me $300 in lost income from having to take time to get it in the freezer. 

14 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Wild harvested meat, either shot or caught, is the most expensive food on the planet.

13 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

How so?

Have you priced the cost of a deer lease in Texas. Filet mignon is a bargain in comparison.

2 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Have you priced the cost of a deer lease in Texas. Filet mignon is a bargain in comparison.

My taxes just tripled on my land in Michigan. Costs me about $500.00 a visit if you average it out through the year.

Lets see, deer hunting. I'm retired so it don't cost me anything for that, they actually pay me not to show up for work anymore. Tag cost me $21 for a doe and buck tag. Don't need any gas money, just walk 1/4 to 1/2 mile from the house and deep into the corps land. Fill the tags and processing is $70 each. (done it myself, too much work anymore) So, $161 for around 200# of prime meat. Seems like a good deal to me. Have my own freezer out here in the kountry for storage. Works for me. I also spend another $7 for extra doe tags and get the meat for other folks. They pay the processing and usually get around 5-7 deer each season and the price for climbing a tree, setting out in God's world, priceless. 

13 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

Shot my first Turkey last season. Scared the heck out of everybody else at the grocery store.

I understand they were also in shock because you finally hit one.   They got tired of you blasting holes

in the freezer unit..... :lol:

(that was so funny I had to laugh meowndangself)

..........Widder

17 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I understand they were also in shock because you finally hit one.   They got tired of you blasting holes

in the freezer unit..... :lol:

(that was so funny I had to laugh meowndangself)

..........Widder

I talked to people afterwards. Everyone was pretty much in agreement that it was a good changeover from you P'ing all over everything with that automatic '97 you usually take in there:P.

Sure, some people can take deer in their backyard, process it themselves at virtually no cost. Others travel out of state, out of state licence and go on top of the line guided hunts on private property. Big dollars for their meat. Neither example is the norm.

For those who include the cost of their time for anything they do, that $100 dollar grocery trip you made really cost you $400.  

3 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I had a secretary about 20 years ago whose husband liked to hunt. At that time, she calculated that deer meat cost about $75 a pound.

I weigh about 190.     That would make me worth about .........    WOW!

..........Widder

On 3/26/2019 at 6:28 PM, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Nope.  Gotta be tomatoes.  I don't think I've ever grown one that wasn't worth about 8 bucks.

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 1:27 PM, Juiceharp Jen said:

... until you get into competitive long range shooting.  I’ve never spent so much money on something in all my life unless it was a house or a car.

When I bought my Shiloh Sharps #3 Sporting Rifle, I realized that I had just spent more money on one rifle than I had on 2x "Original" Vaqueros, a Marlin M1894S & a Winchester M97.

Kaya and I looked at the guns we brought to shoot a monthly, side matches before and long range after. I said "Good God that's almost 20 grand right there....."

If your reading this hon, I was mistaken. Only about $1000.00.    HONEST!

23 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

Kaya and I looked at the guns we brought to shoot a monthly, side matches before and long range after. I said "Good God that's almost 20 grand right there....."

If your reading this hon, I was mistaken. Only about $1000.00.    HONEST!

I've been shooting CAS club matches since '97, for a lot of that time I was single (read as it was MY paycheck alone). Then I met my better half, so I had to buy her a complete set of match & backup guns. I haven't priced all my Cowboy guns replacement value completely but I have 5 pair of Ruger Vaqueros that come in at just over $ 10,000 (Canadian) and 4 Uberti/Winchester M73's that come in at $1,750.00 each (Canadian) plus about 7-8 other long range rifles and shotguns. Since my wife also competes she knows the price of everything. Not hard to get above that $20 grand mark these days if you have been shooting for a while. 

Archived