SASS Wire Forum

Rattlesnakes

Just read & saw the story re 45 Rattlers under someones home in Texas...further the catchers said 88 were taken from another property...can you really be unaware that there is that many snakes under ya' house?

What would they be eating & surely they wouldn't stayput all the time...this question is from someone who  has no idea but I do know I would crap myself if I knew they were there !!

Yep, can happen. I look in my crawl space maybe once a year. 

They only rattle to issue a warning. Quiet all other times. And it being winter they group up in good warmer spots. I've seen blue racers and garter snakes in the dozens in spring warmups.

And yes, I'd crap too!

What Slim said. Snakes are pretty much a live and let live species. If you ain’t bothering them, they won’t bother you. They’ll go out of their way way to avoid you and you won’t know they’re there (queue the complaints about the English language) unless you startle them. 

That at being said, the Southeast has a species of water snake that is marked eerily close to a copperhead. I came upon a ball of them one spring in the Smokies and nearly defecated myself trying to “unass the AO” if you know what I mean. 

5 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

Here is a little 74"er from my front yard. Fyi, they are getting to where they dont rattle at all. Let those black snakes be. They eat Rattlers.

FB_IMG_1498779755740.jpg

WOW..If that's how big & fat they get then 45 of em could lift a house off it's stumps..how long can they get ?

And you lot say we have some dangerous critters down under !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Rattlers don’t always rattle, especially during mating season...which is probably now, in some places.

Rattlers aren’t real aggressive either. Except for Mojave Greens. Those things are aggressive. 

When I was a kid in 6th grade we lived in Carlsbad, New Mexico. There was an abandoned radio station (or at least I think that’s what it was) on the edge of town. That place and the surrounding area was loaded with hundreds of rattlesnakes. Fascinating place for me. I never got bit but came close. My old man found out I was playing around up there and beat my rear so hard I couldn’t sit down right for a week. It didn’t help that the police brought me home and told him about the fines that go along with all those pesky “Keep Out” and “No Trespassing by Order of the Police” signs. :D

Friend of mine told me lived in Montana on a piece of property located on Rattle Snake Butte.  Found out why they called it that.   Moved!       GW

4 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

WOW..If that's how big & fat they get then 45 of em could lift a house off it's stumps..how long can they get ?

And you lot say we have some dangerous critters down under !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

3 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I suspect that many of them were smaller.  Nobody ever gets his picture taken with the runt.

I usually find 3-5 per year in the summer. Most you will "see" are 4ft long or so. A big one is 5ft. This one was over 6ft. He wasnt the biggest one Ive seen here. It was closer to 7ft! The one in the picture had a head that was as wide as 3 knuckles across the back of my fist.

9 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

For everyones benefit..... the one hanging vertical without the 'Volunteers'  T-shirt is the rattlesnake..... 

..........Widder

If you look close in the background, you'll see Widder hiding up in a tree. He stayed up there for an hour after I dealt with the snake. He didn't come down until I told him snakes can climb trees, and this ones' daddy was last seen in the tree he was in. You think Widder is fast with a 97? You need to watch him come out of a tree!

4 hours ago, Grass Range said:

You can kill one without getting off your horse by swinging the tail end of your lariat and snapping it when it is by the snakes head

Send us the video.

In the southeast, only two types of snakes worry me, cottonmouths, and defense lawyers

7 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I know for a fact that Mojave Greens love to hitch rides on motorcycles.

Now, see, I didn't need to know about that...Well, I guess I do. Never mind. :P

Thank you Dave....Now I have one more thing to check out when riding.

52 minutes ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Also if you just shoot in the general vicinity of the head, the rattlesnake will strike at the bullet leading to its own death.

Uh...Yeah, sure...You don't have to downplay that you're good shot. Haha :D

Mojave Greens and Water Moccasins are the only snakes that I have ever had come after me. Quite disenchanting. A couple of them got disenchanted too. But, one  Mojave Green I shot with a 12 gauge never flinched after he was hit. He kept right on coming. I missed on the second shot and did the best SxS reload of my life. The 3rd shot took his head off.

Moccasins are just freakin'  evil. Me no likey one bit. 

44 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Mojave Greens and Water Moccasins are the only snakes that I have ever had come after me. Quite disenchanting. A couple of them got disenchanted too. But, one  Mojave Green I shot with a 12 gauge never flinched after he was hit. He kept right on coming. I missed on the second shot and did the best SxS reload of my life. The 3rd shot took his head off.

Moccasins are just freakin'  evil. Me no likey one bit. 

Nothing will make you reload faster than having just the right kind of inspiration!

1 hour ago, Texas jack Black SASS#9362 said:

And I thought all the snakes were living in Washington DC. ;) :FlagAm:

No, they thrive in other places...like Sacramento, Albany, Boston, Denver, Hartford. :P

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Now, see, I didn't need to know about that...Well, I guess I do. Never mind. :P

Thank you Dave....Now I have one more thing to check out when riding.

Your Welcome.

KC was my mentor when I first started riding Harleys. He saved me a lot of money with some very sage advice. He rode a beautiful Yellow and Blue Fatboy.

BTW  Had that happened to me I would have hopped off and let the snake have the bike. And no I wouldn't have bothered to stop first.:D

This is what I used to do when I lived in Chino Valley. I caught many of them myself and also traded folks; If someone gave me a rattlesnake they got one belt buckle made from it. The rest of the items I made were traded in various shops around northern AZ for Navajo rugs, Hopi katsinas, pottery, baskets, etc... Oh to have them days back.

IMG_1112 (1).JPG

To quote Indiana Jones:

"Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes?"

and

"I hate snakes."

To quote myself:

"I prefer large bears to snakes of any size."

11 hours ago, Grass Range said:

You can kill one without getting off your horse by swinging the tail end of your lariat and snapping it when it is by the snakes head

6 hours ago, Grass Range said:

I had a lot of practice growing up as we had lots of rattlers. If you believe me or not is your problem

It ain't that I believe you or not, but how did you get the horse to stand still long enough to allow you to take aim with the lariat?

And believing you or not ain't my problem..... its the snakes problem.  ;)

..........Widder

12 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

If you look close in the background, you'll see Widder hiding up in a tree. He stayed up there for an hour after I dealt with the snake. He didn't come down until I told him snakes can climb trees, and this ones' daddy was last seen in the tree he was in. You think Widder is fast with a 97? You need to watch him come out of a tree!

I went up that tree with dry britches.

I come down outta that tree with wet britches..... :lol:

..........Widder

This has got to be the most p.o'.d snake I've ever had! This guy is wanting to kill me ALL. THE. TIME! 

We found him in the basement about 3 months ago. It was too cold and snowy to evict him and expect him to live. I'm going to be releasing him back where he belongs at the end of April when it warms up.

28 minutes ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

This has got to be the most p.o'.d snake I've ever had! This guy is wanting to kill me ALL. THE. TIME! 

We found him in the basement about 3 months ago. It was too cold and snowy to evict him and expect him to live. I'm going to be releasing him back where he belongs at the end of April when it warms up.

That looks like a copperhead. I can’t really tell in the light of that video.

Archived