SASS Wire Forum

Potential new member using cimaron atillary?

Loosechange

Greetings everyone,

I am hoping that this is in the right area to ask a question concerning a specific pistol that I’m looking to purchase.

So I understand to be a member that you need to have what’s called a brace.

So I went online looking up cowboy brace etc. I ended up purchasing braces... I’m did not understand at that time it means a pair of pistols not cowboy cuffs

( yes I have cowboy cuffs now)

I have enough money for two pistols out of Longhunters shop they are made by Uberti  call led Taylor’s smoke wagon ..

However being that I have never shot competition wise with six shooters should I spend almost $1500 on a good set of pistols? Or… Should I buy my friends 2011 Cimmaron artillery For $400 until I figure out if I’m good enough with a normal pistol to buy the better pistols.

So my concern is the Cimmaron artillery has the dull finish not the blue and finish the nickel plated...

I do not believe that it has any work done to it but I do know it has a lot of rounds put through it and he said it’s very accurate 

any ideas to show me on on my way? Wouldn’t mind trying out some and see if I can buy from a member used ones they don’t need or want anymore

however this is about the Cimarron artillary? Yes  or no

thank you 

I believe if you want to be in this game you need guns. Now you could just but any guns or you could try to buy guns used by the real enthusiasts. or both over time....

Don't buy anything till you go to a match or two.  CAS shooters are the friendliest people you will meet. Introduce yourself and people will be glad to answer your questions.

If you post your general location we can help you find a match near you.

Read this thread

Also let us know where you're located. Probably someone nearby that can show you the ropes.

And by the way you still don't have braces, which is another term for suspenders ;)

I live in central Phoenix abut if a drive to both Rio Salado range and Ben Avery but do-able.

unfortunately as any hobby/ sport there is an investment... at  this time I do not reload but it’s something I might grow into later on.If not maybe just reenactments might be in my future then if not maybe just reenactments might be in my future then CAS or SASS for now

Thanks for the input my friends

for now I do have some decent year appropriate clothing. I live by Wild West mechantile and I’ve tried doing a bit of research from history of ax and Texas even to the heritage of its settlers etc.. I’m trying not to be to anachronistic but you can know right

i don’t have a drop loop I have a cartridge  belt and two Mexican loop holsters...one is xdraw I have a doc holiday shoulder rig as well but sold my a .31cal  side hammer colt root and a 30 short sharps derringer for the money for two ubertis

Hi Loosechange,

One of the best things to do if you are new and want to get in the game is to read all the Shooter's Handbooks.

They are on SASS Home page -- just click on them.  

They cover almost everything!

It will give you an idea of what this is all about.  

Learn to reload your own ammo or you'll go broke for sure!  :lol:

All the best and Welcome!

Slow Mo Dern

1 hour ago, Loosechange said:

Yup got suspenders... wool

have the pocket watch and fob. Etc I’m trying 

now? Just need the proper pistol set. Then the rifle and shotgun

thank you again .. I’ll look into getting together at a meet Near my area.

Ok.

Just so you know you don't have to have anything you've mentioned unless you plan to shoot Classic Cowboy. 

All you really need is some kind of boots, jeans, and a long sleeve shirt. A hat is a good idea. 

Here's a suggestion.  Take YOUR FRIEND with the revolver you are interested in, and both of you visit the next cowboy match with a box or two of lead bullet ammunition.   Talk with folks at the match.  Have them help you look over the revolver.  Then they will, knowing most cowboys and girls, shove another revolver, a rifle and a shotgun in your hands and insist you shoot a stage!     Then you can talk more with them about what you liked and didn't like, what felt funny, what you enjoyed, what you don't yet understand about SASS, etc.   And you will have just taken the first step toward knowing what you really need to move forward. 

It's possible that Cimarron hogleg is just fine for you.   And possibly not.  So, why not try it out first?  

In general, without seeing that Cimarron SAA, I'd opine that $400 for a well used matte blue (.45 Colt?) revolver would be a little pricey.  Just my opinion.  

Good luck, GJ

3 hours ago, Loosechange said:

...So my concern is the Cimmaron artillery has the dull finish not the blue and finish the nickel plated...

The Artillery models come in 4 finishes: standard blue/case color, charcoal blue/case color, nickle, and antique finish (Cimarron calls it "original finish").  Since you called it dull I am assuming it is the antique finish.  That finish, while not to everyone's tastes, costs about $50 extra, and the military markings which make it an Artillery model also add about $50 to the cost of a standard Model P.  So, the price is really not bad if the gun is in good shape.  But everything said above is quite valid.

Also, that Artillery is in 45 Colt.  Nothing wrong with that caliber, and it is the second most popular caliber in CAS.  But if you are not reloading yet, buying .45 ammo will cost more than .38.  

The Cimarron Artillery is set up to replicate the Army Issue Colts as they would have been configured in the Spanish American War era.   5.5" barrel, .45 Colt.   I don't yet have one, but would like to own one to go with my Cimarron "Cavalry" model, which is set up to replicate the Colts as they would have been originally issued to the Army between 1873 and roughly 1892.

Cimarrons like many other importers, are all made by Uberti.   The "difference" is the way they configure them.   In my experience, Cimarron makes a good pistol, and they go out of their way to give them a kind of "historical flavor" as opposed to a "generic" replica.  Is that worth the extra money, especially when new?  Only you can say.  As far as the specific pistol for $400 goes, I'd say grab it.   That's a good price for an interesting piece.  Of course, I am from Massachusetts, where even used clones cost a premium do to their limited supply here.  I don't know what they go for in other parts of the country.  As a shooter, it will never let you down.  And this game leads to a hobby.  You will find that you one day have a lot more guns than you do now.  Nothing wrong with the .45 either.    There's just something enjoyable about shooting the big guns that I find much more interesting than .38's   Of course, .32-20 is nice too, but that's another story.

Good luck and happy shooting.

I will not repeat the try things out first bit.  I will say read the categories, go see various people shooting.  Yes you might want a nice Classic cowpoke look.  Maybe suddenly the bling and flash of B Western, maybe a Gunfighter with two guns blazing away.    The boom and smoke of blackpowder gets your blood going.  Some of those categories have certain firearm requirements along with clothing.  Talk to others, talk some more. 

Para will most likely help you out and by the way welcome!!!

I kinda drifted into B Western, then started shooting Gunfighter style and moving that direction.  Might be getting interested in black powder.  Along the stumbled into Wild Bunch and BAMM.  Got interested in pocket pistol.

It is an addiction.

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

??????????????????????????????????????????????????? What????????????????????????? Artillery model to Suspenders to a watch to ?????  Stop,  go to a match , watch, and meet the shooters  ask questions and most of all enjoy.

Stop. If Emily will be a problem, take her along. She might grab onto the costuming aspect and her opposition will vanish. Try before you buy is a good idea. And welcome. now go get yourself a good hat. See you down the trail.

Imis

Howdy Loosechange, this hasn't got anything to do with the gun's and the guy's have already covered that pretty good.  You have mentioned some costuming ideas also. ya might want to take the same advice as you've been given about gun's here too.  Something's that look really cowboy you may find out hinder you or are uncomfortable for you to move and shoot in.  I would worry about gun's first, ask me how i know.

Buy what you can afford and get out and shoot! You'll probably wind up replacing those guns anyway! Don't just go and watch.... how boring!! Just get what you can and go shoot! That's what I did and I never regretted it for a minute. BTW I do not have the guns I started with!!

Enjoy!;)

Lots of good advice above.

I'll just add that there are lots of options between the two you listed.

As you know with this game, you need two single action pistols, a rifle, and a shotgun.  In my opinion, the rifle is the one that most benefits from some work by a reputable gunsmith.  The shotgun would be second in line.   I've shot box stock Ruger New Vaqueros for years and been happy with them.  Shoot them a lot, clean them a little and they just work.  Just getting started without wanting to break the bank, or marital harmony, I'd get a slicked up rifle from one of the gifted CAS gunsmiths,   The pistols I'd go stock, and shotgun is a toss up depending on budget.

When buying used, if at all possible, try them before you buy.  It's easy to get excited and just start buying, but as others have noted, most times taking your time will yield better results and leave you with something you'll be happy with longer.  

As others have said, visiting matches is the best way to get a better idea about what you want to buy.  Most cowfolks will be happy to let you handle their irons to see how they feel in their hands.  Be friendly, let folks know you're just getting started, and ask lots of questions.  Hey, what model is that....I've been looking at those but don't know how they'd fit my hands or balance for me...what do you like about that model rifle....etc etc.  Just remember opinions vary, gather your information and make your own decision, you'll be the one who has to live with it.  Visiting matches is also a good place to find folks who have used irons to sell.

Have fun and enjoy the ride!

Grizz

6 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Stop. If Emily will be a problem, take her along. She might grab onto the costuming aspect and her opposition will vanish. Try before you buy is a good idea. And welcome. now go get yourself a good hat. See you down the trail.

Imis

Got a great hat too had my 1980 black gold completely refurbished with pencil curl  a Gus crease and a wider tan silk band... really happy with it but then again a have about 11 hats :-)

1 hour ago, Loosechange said:

Got a great hat too had my 1980 black gold completely refurbished with pencil curl  a Gus crease and a wider tan silk band... really happy with it but then again a have about 11 hats :-)

11 hats huh?  That's a good starter collection!  :D

You can never have too many hats.

11 hats  and no guns ? I see a problem here. You have one head , buy your guns.:D :FlagAm:

I guess I went beyond the b western stuff and tried the appropriate wear if 1890’s or there about even going the territorial way and what was used then.. I’m trying 

i will aee whats up at some meets we have we have a few different groups here in Phoenix 

I do have a few revolvers but none for this

( Ruger Alaskan 454 and Sw 629 3”) not something allowed to use in sass cas 

I’ll keep y’all up to date

i gots a well and good alias I want use as well we’ll see!

Got to talk to Bob James today at legendary guns here in Phoenix. He reworked a few 2nd gen colts for my friend mike and they are smooth glass with tight lockup and the trigger pull... well if you cough on it, it may go off. But anyway I was told two things

which put together seemed to contradict each other....

“...buy what I like... and talk to people lots of people And try out other pistols.”

I handled the Uberti smokewagon and wow the grip was so small? I couldn’t even wrap my pinky onto it... I don’t have “large hands” I have basically “pig paws” short fingers wide a big big fist and palm.

heard the grizzled May work for me

illet you all know whats up end of april

45 minutes ago, Loosechange said:

Got to talk to Bob James today at legendary guns here in Phoenix. He reworked a few 2nd gen colts for my friend mike and they are smooth glass with tight lockup and the trigger pull... well if you cough on it, it may go off. But anyway I was told two things

which put together seemed to contradict each other....

“...buy what I like... and talk to people lots of people And try out other pistols.”

I handled the Uberti smokewagon and wow the grip was so small? I couldn’t even wrap my pinky onto it... I don’t have “large hands” I have basically “pig paws” short fingers wide a big big fist and palm.

heard the grizzled May work for me

illet you all know whats up end of april

Bob is  suggesting you go and get a feel for the game hold some pistols check the grips etc.  then after all that, buy what you like .The money is yours to spend as you see fit.

Stay safe and enjoy. :FlagAm:

On 3/27/2019 at 5:23 PM, Loosechange said:

I handled the Uberti smokewagon and wow the grip was so small....

heard the grizzled Bisley may work for me

The standard SAA grip is shot by many pards with the pinky finger wrapped under the bottom of the grip.   Once you can do that, it's comfortable. Try it for yourself.

Bisley grips are longer, but have a more vertical grip angle than the standard hogleg grip.  Some folks like that, some hate it.  Try it for yourself.

Alchimista model of Pietta guns uses a larger grip frame (same as what was on the 1860 Colt cap and ball revolver, AKA Army grip). Try it for yourself.

If you REALLY want a big grip frame, try to find an original model Ruger Vaquero.  Both a big grip and a big strong heavy frame! Try it for yourself.

There are lots of choices.   Bob James is indeed telling you exactly that.   And that you have to get comfortable with the guns before you make your choice to buy, so you don't lose both time and money test-buying things that are not as shiny as the next blingy thing you see.  So there is no contradiction at all in his advice.

Good luck, GJ

My first BP was a CVA army I bought as a kit at target in 1984/85

my other were BP 2- .36 and 2- walkers... my hero was Clint Eastwood and I liked the outlaw Josie wales

however each time I shot the walkers the ram rod would partially drop 

yes I love the cloud of smoke and the whoooosh of the burnin powder

On 3/25/2019 at 8:09 PM, Tyrel Cody said:

Also let us know where you're located. Probably someone nearby that can show you the ropes.

And by the way you still don't have braces, which is another term for suspenders ;)

Yup. He'll also have a brace of pistols if he buys two. :)

Archived