SASS Wire Forum

New Derringer

Hillbilly Drifter

Bought a Bonds Arms Texas defender in 38/357 Saturday. Ordered 44-40 bbls for it today. Plan to shoot it some tomorrow. Neat little gun. Primarily bought it for side match use.

IMG_0439.jpeg

IMG_0464.jpeg

I believe to be legal for SASS side matches...the trigger guard has to be removed. Just one screw and it is off. My trigger guard has been in the box since I got mine.

55 minutes ago, Old Man Graybeard said:

I believe to be legal for SASS side matches...the trigger guard has to be removed.

Not in any major match derringer side match I've been to.   You can shoot that derringer just like it is, or you can remove trigger guard - your choice.

Practice loading your derringer without bringing muzzles back past the 170.   That disqualifies a lot of shooters if there is a reload.

Good luck, GJ

Great tip on the 170 Joe, and thanks for the clarification on the trigger guard. I had checked the rule book and saw no mention of it. Took it to the range and ran 50 rounds through it. Pretty fun! Cleaned it and took the trigger guard off for now. Will shoot it again that way and see how I like it.

IMG_0473.jpeg

IMG_0472.jpeg

Nice gun Hillbilly Drifter.  I have purchased two of these nice Texas Defenders and lover shootin' them.  My smallest barrel is the 327 Federal Magnum where I will shoot 32 H&R and 32 Longs.  The biggest barrel is the 45LC, but I do have to admit I would also like the 44-40 barrel.   Currently I have a friend that is making me a red oak display case with one gun at each end and in between six additional cut outs for my other barrels; all in a soft green felt.   At least when I kick off this earth, my daughter and son will end up with them.

Archived