SASS Wire Forum

Where's the best Huevo Rancheros?

Cholla

We will be vacationing in Prescott, Arizona this Memorial Day and traveling along I-40 from OK to AZ and then back via Monument Valley, Chama, and Dodge City. Where can I find the best Huevos Rancheros on that route??? The Village Inn in Prescott had the best in that area but they went bye-bye after I left in 1994.

FYI, I like mine with hash browns and green salsa.

I can’t give you much information but I drove through Monument Valley a few years ago and as you come out of the Colorado River and climb there is a little restaurant and motel there and the Huevos Rancheros were outstanding. The place was run by a Navajo family but I believe their morning chef was a Mexican. Very scenic location. When ever my wife and I are in the Sedona area  there is a little restaurant in Oak Creek Village (part of Sedona) that has excellent Huevos Rancheros also. They are on the south side just as you come into town, Miley’s Cafe is what they are called, I believe. 

If your going to Chama NM, you need to eat at Finas diner! Its what northern New Mexico food is supposed to be.

You can thank me later :lol: 

6 hours ago, Captain Clark said:

If your going to Chama NM, you need to eat at Finas diner! Its what northern New Mexico food is supposed to be.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g46978-d4725226-Reviews-Fina_s_Diner-Chama_New_Mexico.html

LL

19 hours ago, Captain Clark said:

This sounds like the perfect way to start a day before we go on the Cumbres Toltec RR. Thanks!

19 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Let me take you to Casa Perez, about two blocks from my house some seven miles from Prescott (in Prescott valley), but you'll have to let me know when you'll be in town.  There are several others here, too.

We may just do that. There used to be a restaurant in PV (We lived there in 1987 before moving to Chino Valley) that had a Hawaiian Delight waffle we loved. Last time we were through there everything had changed so I have no idea if the place exists anymore.

8 hours ago, Choctaw Jack said:

Cholla ,

Roadside Restauarant in Bloomfield NM.On your way between Monument Valley and Chama

Choctaw Jack

I will have to see how the day is progressing but that sounds like a good lunch spot.

3 minutes ago, Cholla said:

This sounds like the perfect way to start a day before we go on the Cumbres Toltec RR. Thanks!

C&TS ....almost as good as CAS :)

Will this be your 1st time to ride?

2 minutes ago, Captain Clark said:

On the C&TS, yes. We have ridden the D&S several times, the Royal Gorge RR once, and last Christmas we rode the BNSF from Chicago to Flagstaff and back. We hope to do that again this Christmas.

9 minutes ago, Captain Clark said:

Of the two sections, which would be the best to see? I assumed from Chama to Osier.

5 minutes ago, largo casey #19191 said:

If you go thru Cuba NM stop at the Cuban Cafe.Theyre Great..

As pretty as Cuba is, we will be headed towards Dodge City from Chama.

5 minutes ago, Cholla said:

Of the two sections, which would be the best to see? I assumed from Chama to Osier.

Chama to Osier is fantastic high country scenery and mountain railroading at its extreme. The down side is that you don't get to pass thru the Garfield tunnel and over Phantom curve, which are to the east of Osier back to Antonito. If you did choose to ride the complete length, we have found its nice to take the motor coach from Chama over to Antonito in the morning. Board at Antonito and ride back to Chama. Lots of nice lodging in and around Chama. Antonito is weak on accommodations IMO.

2 hours ago, Cholla said:

We may just do that. There used to be a restaurant in PV (We lived there in 1987 before moving to Chino Valley) that had a Hawaiian Delight waffle we loved. Last time we were through there everything had changed so I have no idea if the place exists anymore.

We'll see if we can find it if you want.  Let me know.

3 hours ago, largo casey #19191 said:

If you go thru Cuba NM stop at the Cuban Cafe.Theyre Great..

Best huevos rancheros I ever had!

I-40 runs through ABQ so you could eat there.  I quit eating at the Village Inns because they replaced the grated cheddar on their eggs with American process cheese.  I like the Range Cafe.  There is one on Menaul Blvd near the intersection of I-40 and I-25.  Give them a try.

In Albuquerque there are many, like Monroe's at 6051 Osuna rd. N.E. and a newer location at 1520 Lomas Blvd N.W.

Historic Old Town by the square has La Placita and La Hacienda.

From the interstate these are easy to get to

I grew up there and went to school there, I left in 1988 Have fun, besure to lock your vehicle, Pecos River Bob

Monroe's has a good rep.  ABQ does not regarding auto thefts: https://www.koat.com/article/abq-has-highest-auto-theft-rate-in-u-s/22135418.

3 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Monroe's has a good rep.  ABQ does not regarding auto thefts: https://www.koat.com/article/abq-has-highest-auto-theft-rate-in-u-s/22135418.

And meth labs. Seems like every time I’m down there, somebody’s house blows up. 

We are driving an RV with a dingy, so they will need to be after we get set up in an RV park or something that caters to truckers.

Archived