SASS Wire Forum

Sharps Rifles.

Hoss

28 minutes ago, Clyde Henry 7046 said:

Browning BPCR high wall 

Make the a Browning BPCR high wall 45-90 Creedmore...Got lucky and found one few years back...Nice...

Texas Lizard

Someone habit forming...2 45-70, 3 45-90, and last a 45-120...All hight wall...Had to slow down was running out of room...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Howdy

You did not mention whether you are shooting Black Powder or Smokeless.

If Smokeless, there is no point to any of the cartridges that are longer than the 45 -70. You can stuff all the powder you need into the 45-70.

Besides, components and loading data for 45-70 are much more easily available than any of the longer rounds.

If Black Powder, yes you can stuff more powder into the longer cartridges. And be prepared for more recoil.

When I went Sharps shopping a bunch of years ago I checked out the fancy Quigley versions and all the other fancy ones. Frankly, I was disappointed in the execution of the fancy details on most of them. Less than perfect checkering, and the fore end caps were held on by a pin, rather than being cast in place.

So I opted for a plain jane Pedersoli from Dixie Gunworks.

Nothing fancy, just a simple walnut stock with a pistol grip, no checkering. It does have double set triggers.

And most important, a shotgun style butt plate. A traditional crescent style butt plate on one of these can really hurt when the recoil drives the points into your flesh.

sharps_zpsf8079f5e.jpg

I paid $800 for mine a bunch of years ago. I see the price has gone up a bit.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/8340/category_id/314/product_name/CR0415+PEDERSOLI+SHARPS+M1874+SILHOUETTE+RIFLE%2C+.45-70

Shilo and Sharps arent really an option here in Aust (second hand maybe if your lucky) so it was Pedersoli for me and I am very happy with my Boss 1874 Sharps  https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/scheda-prodotto.asp/l_en/idpr_202/rifles-1874-sharps-rifle-1874-sharps-boss.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPrhYZnuz9Y

I ended up with a Pedersoli model 1877 sold as Lyman 1878 in 45-70.  works good enough for me. 

The one thing is to spend perhaps a tad less on the rifle depending on budget and make sure you spend on sights.  A great rifle with so SO sights is not going to get you anywhere.

I have two Pedersoli 1874 sharps in 45-70, I use one for smokeless and one for black powder. and could not be happier, Don't scrimp on sights, cheap sights are an insult to an accurate rifle.  SCJ

https://shilohrifle.com/gun-inventory-room/     Just an FYI, Shiloh has an inventory posting of rifles available for immediate sale.   Check often, it is continuously updated as inventory cycles thru.

As another option, the C. Sharps 1875 is excellent.  My son has one and I'm very impressed with it.  An historical footnote in Sharps history,  it is easier to manufacture, (The recievers start as contract castings by Ruger) and does not command the premium of the 1874.

http://csharpsarms.com/catalog-category/9/1875-Sharps-Rifles.html?page=0

I bought a Pedersoli 1874 in .45-70 and never regretted it.

I mounted a Vernier tang sight and a Hadley Eyepiece.

I went with the .45-70 because of the relative ease of obtaining brass.

I found the only downside, for me, was the weight of it for standing, unsupported shots!:D

Well, there is one other downside and it has to do with the calibre: 

These dang .45-70's will breed in your safe.

1874 Sharps (Pedersoli) close-up side view 013 (3).JPG

1874 Sharps (Pedersoli) with vernier sight and Hadley eyepiece 013 (2).JPG

Should I go with 74 or 77 model?  Any particular makers to avoid? 

Hoss: Go with a Pedersoli 74 Sharps with a 30" barrel with a single or double set trigger.  You don't need a 34" barrel unless you plan on shooting 1000yds. Best investment, dollar for dollar

Pedersoli's have match grade barrels and produce excellent groups depending on one's trigger pull & quality of the vernier.

Put a MVA - Baldwin or Shaver wind-age vernier and a foresight that has a bubble level on the rifle.  A Hadley Cup ocular is also a good add for the rifle

I have the Pedersoli Quigley & Competition models and with a proper 535gr BP reload will produce MOA groups (have pictures that say so) ... 100 to 1000yds

PS: With any 74 Sharps to preclude breaking the main spring - put the hammer on half cock before dropping the finger lever

Make to avoid - The IAB ,,, "It's Always Broken" and poor availability of parts

thanks for all the comments guys.  I'm leaning towards a Pedersoli in 45-70.  if is doesn't have good sights on it i'll likely put Kelley sights on.  

2 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I bought a Pedersoli 1874 in .45-70 and never regretted it.

I mounted a Vernier tang sight and a Hadley Eyepiece.

I went with the .45-70 because of the relative ease of obtaining brass.

I found the only downside, for me, was the weight of it for standing, unsupported shots!:D

Well, there is one other downside and it has to do with the calibre: 

These dang .45-70's will breed in your safe.

1874 Sharps (Pedersoli) close-up side view 013 (3).JPG

1874 Sharps (Pedersoli) with vernier sight and Hadley eyepiece 013 (2).JPG

Ifn you have too many, and need room in your safe, send me one, I'll take good care of it for you!!!!

I much prefer the PG stock over the straight.

The PG really helps in controlling the torque-twist of recoil.

Hoss-Will you be loading real BP or 'white'? :huh:

'White'-go with the .45-70.

Real BP-hard to beat the .45-90, and brass is easy to get from Starline.

OLG

1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG

Lumpy, I'm 99% Im going with a 45-70..  I may "dabble" on the dark side a little, but probably initially be shooting that heathen new-fangled stuff.  

If somebody just made me a deal I could not resist on a 45-9- I would certainly have to look at it. 

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG

And I'm the exact opposite. I love the straight grip and just can't a comfortable feel with a pistol grip rifle. I do the vast majority of my long range shooting off hand, though, so that could be the reason

15 minutes ago, Redwood Kid said:

And I'm the exact opposite. I love the straight grip and just can't a comfortable feel with a pistol grip rifle. I do the vast majority of my long range shooting off hand, though, so that could be the reason

I have both styles, and shoot the PG version the most.

Also-Some Shiloh model straight stocks have more 'drop' than others.

OLG

Just now, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I have both styles, and shoot the PG version the most.

Also-Some Shiloh model straight stocks have more 'drop' than others.

OLG

Maybe that's it. I have not compared the drop, I just know what feels more comfortable for me. And I only shoot black powder out of mine. As it should be, yeah?

3 hours ago, Hoss said:

Ifn you have too many, and need room in your safe, send me one, I'll take good care of it for you!!!!

What a pal! 

Thanks Hoss.

cannot go wrong with a sharps for long range - you will enjoy it forever and even when your not shootin the side match , its just a fantastic bit of history that is a delight to hold and shoot , 

The 38-55 from Uberti or Pedersoli is usually made with an 18:1 twist. This limits the weight of the bullet to be stabilized. My C Sharps has a 14:1 twist and does well with a 335 Postel bullet. Accurate Molds has a 360 gr tapered bullet for breech seating that is screaming at me. 

I have a Shiloh business rifle in 45-90 and a Shiloh Hartford rifle in 50-70.  I love the bigger calibers and like to shoot bp.

Having said that, the Pedersoli is a very nice, accurate gun and 45-70 is the easiest of the big sharps calibers to get components for.  If you are going to shoot smokeless, there is no need to go with a longer case.  The fit and finish of the Shiloh is a nicer than the Pedersoli but the Pedersolis are nice, cheaper, you can buy them off the shelf, and they shoot well. Hard to argue with that combination.

2 hours ago, Doc Coles SASS 1188 said:

45-70 is the easiest of the big sharps calibers to get components for. 

The only difference in the .45 cal is the case length.

They use the same primer and bullet dia from .45-70 to .45-110.

OLG

Can't go wrong with the Uberti/Pedersoli.  Would love to have a Shilo but this rifle is a fine shooter at 300 yards with smokeless or black and 405 gr bullet. Shot 600 yards once but did not get a lot of time. I now use APP exclusively and it shoots great. Tough offhand as it is heavy but off sticks it is just fine. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I have a Shiloh Sharps 45-70 Montana Roughrider, with Soule sights added, for sale.

Bought it new, about 10 years ago, and never fired it--it has been, and still is, a safe queen.

I suppose that I should figure out how much; he said with a smile.

Anyone interested in it, just let me know.

Is a C Sharp Arms really that affordable?  It seems from a quick glance at their website, they seem to be in the same price range as the Shiloh?   Where would I start looking for used rifles to start the game?

6 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

The only difference in the .45 cal is the case length.

They use the same primer and bullet dia from .45-70 to .45-110.

OLG

That is true, the real difference is in the brass.  You can buy 45-70 brass everywhere.  The longer brass is harder to find and more expensive.  I load 45-70 for a couple of 1886s and trapdoors and 45-90 for one of my Sharps.  I load different bullets in the 45-70 and 45-90, which changes the cost but that is personal choice.  

1 hour ago, Doc Coles SASS 1188 said:

That is true, the real difference is in the brass.  You can buy 45-70 brass everywhere.  The longer brass is harder to find and more expensive.  I load 45-70 for a couple of 1886s and trapdoors and 45-90 for one of my Sharps.  I load different bullets in the 45-70 and 45-90, which changes the cost but that is personal choice.  

You can get the cases here.

https://www.starlinebrass.com/

They do a .45-110 run once a yr.

OLG

Keep in mind that if you ever wanted to shoot Black Powder rifle Silhouette the weight limit with sights is 12 lbs and 2 oz.

I used a PAST recoil pad on my shoulder when I was competing.  And I was shooting 40-65 high wall.  When shooting 60 shots for 2 days recoil becomes a distraction.

Never left a ram standing even if hit on the lower leg.

If you want a good smooth trigger pull do NOT get a Sharps like I own.  The Sharps Cavalry Carbine has a heavy 20+ lb trigger pull!  I've been told the originals were like that as well...no need for a hair trigger when you're trying to shoot from horseback.

6 hours ago, Dusty Feller said:

I have a Shiloh Sharps 45-70 Montana Roughrider, with Soule sights added, for sale.

Bought it new, about 10 years ago, and never fired it--it has been, and still is, a safe queen.

I suppose that I should figure out how much; he said with a smile.

Anyone interested in it, just let me know.

PM sent

Used to be a well known Pedersolli shooter over on one of the other boards that was said to be a top notch national??  shooter riding for the brand.  I got the impression from him at one time that he was even using his company brand sights to take home the trophies BUT have been told by many that it would not be possible to shoot in his league using his companies sights????  I can not remember his name any longer but he used to post here on occasion, back when.

10 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You can get the cases here.

https://www.starlinebrass.com/

They do a .45-110 run once a yr.

OLG

Thanks for the tip.  I have 1,000 plus of 45-70 cases,  about 500 45-90 cases, and no need for 45-110.  But the fact that Starline makes it just once a year kind of demonstrates my point that 45-70 is a bit easier to get components for.  

Archived