SASS Wire Forum

4 Click Bisley Clone?

Deanimator

I haven't even had the chance to shoot my new Cimarron Frontier and I'm so happy with it that I'm already looking at my next purchase.

Is there a Bisley clone with the same 4 click Colt type action as my Cimarron Frontier?  I ESPECIALLY don't want a transfer bar gun.

I don't think anybody still makes a flat top clone, but I'd like to have a 7 1/2" Bisley clone in .44 Special in either flat top or regular frame.

None of the Uberti Bisley's have a transfer bar.   Forum member Cholla just bought a new one and mentioned it on a post a few days ago.  He didn't mention the hammer / firing pin safety.  You might PM him and ask.

32 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

None of the Uberti Bisley's have a transfer bar.   Forum member Cholla just bought a new one and mentioned it on a post a few days ago.  He didn't mention the hammer / firing pin safety.  You might PM him and ask.

I sent him a PM.

Thanks.

The Cimarron/Uberti Bisley has a fixed firing pin. I only hear three clicks, unless I already broke something... I like it and plan on getting another one when funds allow.

On 3/25/2019 at 3:48 PM, Cholla said:

The Cimarron/Uberti Bisley has a fixed firing pin. I only hear three clicks, unless I already broke something... I like it and plan on getting another one when funds allow.

I replaced the two position cylinder axis pin in my Cimarron Frontier with a single position Uberti pin.

Is it possible to replace the 3 click Uberti lockwork with 4 click Pietta lockwork?

1 hour ago, Deanimator said:

Is it possible to replace the 3 click Uberti lockwork with 4 click Pietta lockwork?

Not without a ton of custom work to hammer and trigger and other internals.  "Lockwork" on Single Action Army clones and the clicks they sound off with is due to the notches in the hammer and the timing with which the cylinder lock bolt snaps into place.  (It's not a module that snaps into a motherboard, after all)   It MIGHT be possible to put an extra notch into the Uberti hammer to give you one more click, if there is enough room on the circumference of the hammer boss.

But, didn't Josie Wales say something like "Are you going to shoot that smokewagon, or just listen to it?"    :lol:

Good luck, GJ

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Not without a ton of custom work to hammer and trigger and other internals.  "Lockwork" on Single Action Army clones and the clicks they sound off with is due to the notches in the hammer and the timing with which the cylinder lock bolt snaps into place.  (It's not a module that snaps into a motherboard, after all)   It MIGHT be possible to put an extra notch into the Uberti hammer to give you one more click, if there is enough room on the circumference of the hammer boss.

But, didn't Josie Wales say something like "Are you going to shoot that smokewagon, or just listen to it?"    :lol:

Good luck, GJ

I was hoping that it would be possible to swap in Pietta parts the way I swapped an Uberti single position cylinder pin for the dual position pin in my Cimarron (Pietta) Frontier.  

3 hours ago, Deanimator said:

I replaced the two position cylinder axis pin in my Cimarron Frontier with a single position Uberti pin.

You can order from vti (if you hurry before they are no longer available) a pre safety hammer and trigger. You need both and they should drop in. Mine did. Here are some pics of what the three click hammer system looks like

6D7A708C-8D83-4B05-A689-9C25249236AE.thumb.jpeg.0b55c1e364131cd7b69834edaf927d6d.jpegCE92B827-ABCB-471D-821C-CCD06B29E3D2.thumb.jpeg.13bb50fcbeaa12d56af462b116360ac6.jpeg08A71680-0D7B-4BBF-9F3C-24DE5E0D6B42.thumb.jpeg.512988e0465099c7c505b1c6a2ee5fff.jpeg

The OP wants to do this on a Bisley revolver that he wants to buy.   That ramps up the difficulty if he wants to keep the same Bisley hammer spur, if I'm not mistaken.

Good luck, GJ

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

The OP wants to do this on a Bisley revolver that he wants to buy.   That ramps up the difficulty if he wants to keep the same Bisley hammer spur, if I'm not mistaken.

Good luck, GJ

Good point.

I have an EMF Bisley (for sale) that has the four clicks. If you did some searching you might be able to find one in .44 or have one converted.

dakbis.jpg

20 hours ago, Cholla said:

I have an EMF Bisley (for sale) that has the four clicks. If you did some searching you might be able to find one in .44 or have one converted.

dakbis.jpg

Thanks for the advice.

Do you have the Reader's Digest condensed version of what a conversion would entail, and whether you know if anybody's doing it?

I might be able to swallow hard and get a 3 click gun with the fixed firing pin, but the retractable firing pin is a stone cold deal breaker, on the level of a Winchester 92 with a pushbutton manual safety.

Again, thanks for the valuable information.

Deanimator, have you tried Dixie Gun Works? Their 2018 catalog lists Uberti Bisley .44 Special in all three barrel lengths, 4 3/4", 5 1/2" and 7 1/2". If I remember correctly their 2017 catalog had them as well. I would not be surprised if they have some left with the 4-click action. If you call them they can probably have their gunsmith check. A 4-clicker may still have a hammer block safety or it might just have a long base pin safety.

2 hours ago, LonesomePigeon said:

Deanimator, have you tried Dixie Gun Works? Their 2018 catalog lists Uberti Bisley .44 Special in all three barrel lengths, 4 3/4", 5 1/2" and 7 1/2". If I remember correctly their 2017 catalog had them as well. I would not be surprised if they have some left with the 4-click action. If you call them they can probably have their gunsmith check. A 4-clicker may still have a hammer block safety or it might just have a long base pin safety.

That's definitely an option, although I can't buy anything right away given that I just bought the Frontier and haven't even shot it yet... and may be looking at [more] expensive car repairs that just resurfaced yesterday.

The two position base pin is no problem at all, since I replaced the two position Pietta pin on the Frontier with a single position Uberti pin.  It dropped right in.

Thanks for the help.

Archived