SASS Wire Forum

Ruger NMV grip frame question

Buckshot Dobbs

Hey the fire,

So when I started SASS about 7 years ago, I wanted to shoot one handed, and agonized over what revolvers I wanted, and everyone told me I should get Bisely Vaqueros. Well, my wife went out and bought me a set of Bisely Vaqueros.  Long story short, after several years of trying to make myself love them, and shooting other folks regular NMV's I want to change the grip frames from Bisely to regular NMV. My question is, I helped a friend change the springs on his brand new NMV and the end of the mainspring strut was very different from mine, had some square, funny looking thing attached on the end of it. So my question is,  if I go to trade grip frames with someone will these newest ones still fit mine? or do I have to specify when mine were made to be able to get standard grip frames to fit it....hopefully this makes sense lol.

thanks,

BD

I would consider selling your Bisleys and buying what you want.

My New Vaqueros (purchased in 2010) have a built-in lock at the bottom of the hammer struts.  Ruger later eliminated the lock and those revolvers have different innards.  I don’t know whether the grip frame itself is different between the “lock” version and the “no lock” revolver.

It is possible to install xr3 grip frames. There are work arounds to the lock or lack of a lock that amount to 5 minutes work and a few dollars in parts. Having fit steel grip frames to Blackhawks with aluminum grip frames as well as bisley grip frames to custom revolvers I will say that it's not worth the time and money if what you're after is a factory offering. You will have $150 per gun in the grip frames/ grips and that's not counting getting rid of the bisley trigger if you haven't already. It's not overly complicated to fit them up and it can be done well using no more than a file and some Emory paper but if it's your first go expect to have 6 or more hours per gun.

I betcha there's a cowboy or cowgirl on here right now that would give you a fair price for what you have and then you can buy what you really want.... For now.... Then again if my wife bought me revolvers I'ld be stuck with them for life. Lucky for me she's only bought me one and I still kinda like it.

Considering that bisley are more expensive anyways, you might as well sell them and buy a pair of nmv.

I looked in to swapping frames on my NMV to birds head and it was 300 bucks or so on Brownells. Besides the actual frames, the trigger and the hammer are different on a bisley as well as the hammer strut etc.

10 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

With the NMV you will want to have the Super Blackhawk or Montado Hammers. 

Best if they're short stroked though.

SB Hammers without a short stroke mak s you change your grip to avoid the hammer hitting your hand.

Archived