SASS Wire Forum

Enough is enough

I know we all detest robo calls and blind messages, but they hit my "it's time to put and end to this crap point" this morning.  I had two calls before 6:00 am.  Now I'm usually up by then or shortly after anyway, but I don't want my day to start off with a jarring jangle from my phone.

I never answer them, but my answering machine picks them up.

How do we stop this and how can we get the locals to take up pitchforks and torches and burn their castle down?

Wish I could send a lightening bolt thru the phone line to zap "em but afraid it won:t happen.  IMHO, phone company do NOT care because they are selling them their service the same as us.    My .02               GW

I have NEVER received a robocall or even a live telephone solicitation that in any way tempted me to buy or utilize the product or service offered. 

I consider them to be at best a nuisance, and at worst an intrusion on my privacy.

Any vendor who uses these mechanisms is immediately on my "do not use" list.

What I cannot figure out is why they persist; the same caller will call my home 6, 8 or 20 times; telling them that we are on the "do not call list" is largely useless; they seem totally unconcerned, and often try to argue with me about the the scope of that provision.  Or they are clearly calling from outside the US, and sense some form of immunity from consequences.

Time to place an air horn next to the phone, for quick access.

LL

Unfortunately, I believe the phone company squelches the volume of an air horn. It's also a good thing you can't just reach through the phone and grab a scrawny neck! :ph34r:

My sister uses a different strategy.  She keeps talking to them, tying up the line so they can’t make other calls, engaging them in conversation, usually about religion or politics, until they give up and break the connection.  

She doesn’t get many repeated calls.

I have a Panasonic 5 remote phone system on my land line that I got at COSTCO for $99. It has a built in (selectable)  call interceptor that blocks robocalls. If the calling number is not in my phonebook, it states: "Please press 1 if you want to connect this call." If 1 is not pressed, it disconnects without ringing. I usually find 3 or 4 calls a day that get logged into my call directory. Is especially useful at election time. It also allows you to block calls such as those from the weekly NRA panic de jour. 

Church Key

My wife and I ditched the landline (finally) after all the political calls ( which aren’t covered by the Do Not Call list) a few years ago.

We recently discussed installing a land line in our new home in case of emergency. In a loss of power situation theoretically you should still have a working phone line. Then we realized that modern phones are cordless and need a plug for the charger and then my wife reminded me of all the political calls we got and we just decided to skip it. Too much of a hassle.

Our a%#holes are rerouting thru the local National Guard,  Blue Cross and my hospital number.      Blue Cross was telling me my car warranty has going to expire.     Hang "um high and often         GW

Usually, telemarketing systems will automatically hang up if an answering machine picks up.  There's not much you can do to stop them.  With cell phones, it's easier to block a number and, after a while, most calls stop, at least until your number, including a lot of others, is sold to another telemarketer.

6 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

I have NEVER received a robocall or even a live telephone solicitation that in any way tempted me to buy or utilize the product or service offered. 

I consider them to be at best a nuisance, and at worst an intrusion on my privacy.

Any vendor who uses these mechanisms is immediately on my "do not use" list.

What I cannot figure out is why they persist; the same caller will call my home 6, 8 or 20 times; telling them that we are on the "do not call list" is largely useless; they seem totally unconcerned, and often try to argue with me about the the scope of that provision.  Or they are clearly calling from outside the US, and sense some form of immunity from consequences.

Time to place an air horn next to the phone, for quick access.

LL

I figured out very early on that the the Do Not Call list is about as useful as a barb wire jock strap.

As I understand it, Arizona does not have a "Do Not Call List".

I never answer my phone either.

There are days where I receive up to 15 calls a day, All robots, Caller ID shows names and numbers Local and nationwide.

Almost all of them leave the same message....Thank You Federal Marketplace. :angry:

For some time I would use the block number feature on my smart dumb phone.  This seemed to reduce the number of calls. Then I hit the limit of 100 numbers you can put in the block numbers list.  I taking with Samsung support and ATT guys. Nope. 100 numbers is all you are allowed.  What kind of lunacy it that?  A phone with 64gb of memory and it'll only store 100 numbers?  Said it won't stop the calls.  Said they just make up new fake numbers. 

I'm a member of both the federal and provincial conservative political parties and I keep getting phone calls asking for political donations all year long.  Now, when I renew my memberships, I misspell my email address and change one digit of my phone number.  I stopped getting email and phone calls asking for donations.  As for other calls, if its not our area code I don't answer, if it is important, they will leave a message.  

The income tax scam always leaves a message.  It will be Sgt Bill Smith from the RCMP stating that they have a warrant for my arrest because I owe Revenue Canada $2,347. In back taxes.  I Can avoid prosecution if I send in the amount owing by using gift cards to an address given.  The funny part is, Sgt Bill Johnson has an East Indian accent.

Archived