SASS Wire Forum

32 Cal Revolvers

Col Del Rio

Greetings All,

Who shoots 32 cal pistols? What are the most common makes/models?

Is the Ruger Single Seven legal?

Thanks,

Colonel Del Rio

You just said .32, but I expect you are asking about .32 H&R Mag.  Seems most .32 shooters I've seen are shooting Rugers.  But Cimarron does carry the Model P Jr. and Lightning revolvers with dual cylinders, .32 H&R and 32-20.

I've got a pair of full-size 5 1/2" Uberti Cattleman .32-20's I take out once in awhile. (Looking for another one, if anybody has one)

A pair of Ruger .32 H&R mag/.32-20 Vaquero convertibles would be very nice, but they don't come up often, and tend to be in the $1200+ range when they do. Only 273 made with 4 5/8" barrels and 283 with 5 1/2" barrels.

There are some convertible Ruger 32s right now on GB.

I shoot single sixes 32 H&R Gunfighter.  They are light enough for the weight my degrading wrists can handle.

Lots of parts.  Mine are consecutive birdshead ones that have had power custom Baisley hammers and half cock triggers put in along with 17lb main springs.  Love them.

Single sevens wish they were legal but are not.

A couple of custom places will convert 32 Rivers to 38 special but very expensive.

As mentioned there are Cimmarron/Ubertis convertible model p or lightnigs in 32H&R/32-20.  The later is a great BP round.

5 minutes ago, LostVaquero said:

There are some convertible Ruger 32s right now on GB.

Well I'll be dawged... consecutively numbered even... currently $1680 w/shipping and three days to go...

... I'll be watching them. ;)

10 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

I've got a pair of full-size 5 1/2" Uberti Cattleman .32-20's I take out once in awhile. (Looking for another one, if anybody has one)

A pair of Ruger .32 H&R mag/.32-20 Vaquero convertibles would be very nice, but they don't come up often, and tend to be in the $1200+ range when they do. Only 273 made with 4 5/8" barrels and 283 with 5 1/2" barrels.

J bar tried sending you a message but your box is full. The local toy store has a couple uberti 32-20s in stock 

22 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

J bar tried sending you a message but your box is full. The local toy store has a couple uberti 32-20s in stock 

I made some room. ;)

20 minutes ago, Arcadia Outlaw SASS#71385 said:

Ruger single sixes in 32 H&R are great guns !, they are really fun to shoot and super easy to manipulate fast with the smaller frame

AO

Yep, as soon as my son said no to his stainless pair my wife appropriated them to replace her blued/CCH pair.  I may send her old set off to Jimmy Spurs to work his magic and adopt them as my main match guns.

In .32-20 I shoot a 1st Gen Colt made in 1880 something that started life as a .44-40 and got rebarrelled and recylindered to the smaller caliber, apparently sometime in the 1920's   7.5" barrel, nickel finish.  The other pistol is a 3rd Gen Colt 5.5, blued.   For rifles I have a Winchester 73, 24" octagon, a Winchester 92, 20" round and a Colt Lightning, 24" octagon.

Fun caliber so shoot!

On 3/25/2019 at 5:54 PM, Captain Bill Burt said:

Yep, as soon as my son said no to his stainless pair my wife appropriated them to replace her blued/CCH pair.  I may send her old set off to Jimmy Spurs to work his magic and adopt them as my main match guns.

Bill, I think you should move to 44-40's & black powder. You'll probably be even faster!!!!!

due to our theory of allowing the "Maximum Fun for Everyone!"  we allow the Ruger Single Sevens but as always:  Just for our club shoots.  

reasoning is the old single sixes are like hen's teeth, GOLD hen's teeth and Fun is the name of the game--not in same boat as using a S&W Model 29 in competition.

we do make a point of reminding shooters this is a club waver and not to go forth and try it anywhere else.

The only .32, 7 shot revolver allowed is the Model 1895 Russian Nagant.  The original round is called 7.62×38mmR and is rather weird.  There are conversion cylinders for it chambered for .32 ACP, but experience says they don't fit quite right.   On the other hand, you can take .32-20 brass and make a "short" version of the original round that doesn't seal the chambers, but does work just fine.   It hasn't caught on, but I call this round ".32 Nagant Short."   I wish others would pick up the habit. 

Yes, I have 2 of them.

3 hours ago, Slowhand Bob, 24229 said:

Funny that it is legal to shoot smokeless BB guns but then disallow the .32 Colt and Remington c&b revolvers or is there an honest difference in the miked diameter (.31 vs .32) of the ball vs the bullet???? 

I think sir, it is because 32 Colt and Remington C&Bs are considered pocket pistols by SASS rules.  The rule book states something about pocket pistols may not be used as main match revolvers. 

I am guessing that Cimmarron's new 1862 pocket navy in 380acp even with a 6" barrel is not a legal main match pistol.  I am not looking at the rule book but something about pocket pistols may not be converted to main match revolvers. 

I am sure someone will correct me on this if wrong.

I believe the pocket/police navy in original chambering is a .36 cal five shooter BUT can supposedly be loaded with the full five with the hammer latched between chambers????  I remember some controversy concerning the frame size and reckon that would be the only reason it (or the 1849) could be outlawed as they share the same frame.  Shame a .22 can be modified to get in when a real deal modeled after one that WAS THERE can not be accepted as a black powder Frontiersman/FC firearm.  

Was not the .36 Police Navy Police version ever legalized as a Main Match legal cap and ball pistol for Frontiersman?  I seem to remember some controversy back when BUT darn memory just does not work well enough to recall???   

I have to envy you USA pards and your ability to own mostly what you want.

Here in Canada, .32 caliber are among the prohibited to own unless you are "Grandfathered"

Be thankful you have the NRA fighting for you.

1 hour ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I have to envy you USA pards and your ability to own mostly what you want.

Here in Canada, .32 caliber are among the prohibited to own unless you are "Grandfathered"

Be thankful you have the NRA fighting for you.

No, be thankful for the Constitution and the second amendment.

Even with your Constitution, Bill of Rights and  2A, I see attempts every day, to do away with it.

That's sad.

596a19d3b7415_CimarronLightningJuly2017.jpg.6974515bedefee8d20ec18c91f5fb7b9.jpg596f6d0f8c86f_HolsterbootJuly2017.jpg.8e55e82474c9af69663aa229d23a1e7b.jpg

I traided into this pair of Cimarron Lightning 32 H&R and 32-20WCF.   I thought they'd be fun to shoot.  Loaded up 500 rounds of 32S&W. Made inserts for my holsters so I could use them in matches.  I didn't find them as easy to shoot well as full-size Cattleman.  Recoil was sharper than expected.  I shot them in one match and didn't do well. 

Archived