SASS Wire Forum

TRAILHEAD 2019

Trailhead 2019 was one of the best shoots that I have been to in a long time.  The targets are closer that I have ever seen them and I have been going to this shoot for 20+ years.  The targets are also made of A500 steel that rings like a bell.  The overall theme of the match was Lonesome Dove, which everyone loves.  The scenarios were simple with the pistol sequences being easy and the rifle instructions the same as the pistol.  Easy shotgun targets, not like the chickens we all know are coming later this year.(just kidding T-Bone).   Trailhead is a must shoot next year!!!!!  Keep up the great work.  This club also has the Sharpshooter and Cody/Dixon categories, which are a bunch of fun.  I also enjoyed watching the long range match, which is held at a real black powder silhouette range.  Also, they let me, Texas Mac, Crazy Ed and E.T. shoot the Outlaw category!!!  Hope I did not leave anyone out of our category.

Cowboys and Cowgirls, please consider going to one of the oldest shoots in Texas next year!  You will not regret it!

2 hours ago, Red River Rudy, SASS #8490 LIFE said:

Trailhead 2019 was one of the best shoots that I have been to in a long time.  The targets are closer that I have ever seen them and I have been going to this shoot for 20+ years.  The targets are also made of A500 steel that rings like a bell.  The overall theme of the match was Lonesome Dove, which everyone loves.  The scenarios were simple with the pistol sequences being easy and the rifle instructions the same as the pistol.  Easy shotgun targets, not like the chickens we all know are coming later this year.(just kidding T-Bone).   Trailhead is a must shoot next year!!!!!  Keep up the great work.  This club also has the Sharpshooter and Cody/Dixon categories, which are a bunch of fun.  I also enjoyed watching the long range match, which is held at a real black powder silhouette range.  Also, they let me, Texas Mac, Crazy Ed and E.T. shoot the Outlaw category!!!  Hope I did not leave anyone out of our category.

Cowboys and Cowgirls, please consider going to one of the oldest shoots in Texas next year!  You will not regret it!

Can you move with a pistol in hand??? More than one person loading at a time?

Hope so...glad things are getting better at THSS. I remember 10 years ago they had about 165 shooters and 168 "P's".

Phantom

Sass rules applied!  Loading tables were full!  Phantom, I am not sure what you are talking about with moving with a pistol in hand.  All of the SASS rules applied as far as I know.  All things change, sometimes for the better!!!!!!!  Posse 4 had no P's that I know of.  Did not hear anyone  complaining, except for the couple of people complaining about themselves missing a "stand and deliver" stage shooting at a target the size of a Volkswagen at five paces.  LOL, the pistol targets were close enough for me to hit shooting outlaw, and I am not a "T-Bone Dooley" shooter!   Lets remember that when we post our personal opinions, sometime we influence people when we later find out we were somewhat wrong in our opinion and we have already caused harm.  If someone does not have something good to say, maybe our silence will give our opinion.  I am not speaking about anyone in particular.  I just do not like negative comments, about anything.  I guess that is the way I was taught growing up in the country.  Just my 2 cents.

This post is not directed toward anyone!  I respect Phantom and his input and I am making general statements, so nobody should think that I am making statements about Phantom.

5 minutes ago, Red River Rudy, SASS #8490 LIFE said:

Sass rules applied!  Loading tables were full!  Phantom, I am not sure what you are talking about with moving with a pistol in hand.  All of the SASS rules applied as far as I know.  All things change, sometimes for the better!!!!!!!  Posse 4 had no P's that I know of.  Did not hear anyone  complaining, except for the couple of people complaining about themselves missing a "stand and deliver" stage shooting at a target the size of a Volkswagen at five paces.  LOL, the pistol targets were close enough for me to hit shooting outlaw, and I am not a "T-Bone Dooley" shooter!   Lets remember that when we post our personal opinions, sometime we influence people when we later find out we were somewhat wrong in our opinion and we have already caused harm.  If someone does not have something good to say, maybe our silence will give our opinion.  I am not speaking about anyone in particular.  I just do not like negative comments, about anything.  I guess that is the way I was taught growing up in the country.  Just my 2 cents.

This post is not directed toward anyone!  I respect Phantom and his input and I am making general statements, so nobody should think that I am making statements about Phantom.

First of, THSS didn't allow one to pull their pistol(s) and move. This was last year. So if they have changed this, good on them!

My comment on "P's" was meant to illustrate how much THSS has changed for the better...

My statements were not opinions. They were facts that existed not long ago. This allows for further dialog regarding how much things have change for the better in regards to THSS. Notice I didn't mention anything about misses for targets that were set waaaaaay out there. Why? Because THSS started moving their targets in a couple of years ago. So for me to comment on target distance would have be nothing but mean spirited. 

If all one does is advertise positive aspects of ANYTHING, then they are being deceitful. Nothing is perfect. Silence as a statement of opinion is silly. That would assume that the silent one's actually read the thread.

OPEN and HONEST discussion and debate is the ONLY way to make things better...and EVERYTHING can be made better...even the best can be made better. Or we can stick our heads in the sand and pretend that all is perfect...silence is golden...

Phantom

Phantom, You have your ways and I have mine, as my grandfather used to say!  I guess what I was saying is that some people do not have a way of having open and honest discussion as their opinion is fact. I went out of my way to say I was talking in generalities and you took it personal.  I was not talking to you!  I do not know you and probably never will.  You have stated your opinions on Trailhead in the past that were not favorable.  It is your opinion that it was bad that THSS did not allow you to move with a drawn pistol.  That is an opinion!  Now you are expressing your opinion about the targets that were waaaaay out there and that was bad.  Your very thread is an opinion.  Everyone has an opinion and sometimes it is negative in a way that is not taken as it should be.  My post was a positive post and it is turning negative due to someone having a difference of opinion with me.   I know you have been doing this a long time and I have been a member of SASS since 1994 and a life member since 1997 when I gave a fellow at the sass booth at Mule Camp my life membership money.  That fellow was the Judge.   LOL  Red River Rudy signing off!!!

12 minutes ago, Red River Rudy, SASS #8490 LIFE said:

Phantom, You have your ways and I have mine, as my grandfather used to say!  I guess what I was saying is that some people do not have a way of having open and honest discussion as their opinion is fact. I went out of my way to say I was talking in generalities and you took it personal.  I was not talking to you!  I do not know you and probably never will.  You have stated your opinions on Trailhead in the past that were not favorable.  It is your opinion that it was bad that THSS did not allow you to move with a drawn pistol.  That is an opinion!  Now you are expressing your opinion about the targets that were waaaaay out there and that was bad.  Your very thread is an opinion.  Everyone has an opinion and sometimes it is negative in a way that is not taken as it should be.  My post was a positive post and it is turning negative due to someone having a difference of opinion with me.   I know you have been doing this a long time and I have been a member of SASS since 1994 and a life member since 1997 when I gave a fellow at the sass booth at Mule Camp my life membership money.  That fellow was the Judge.   LOL  Red River Rudy signing off!!!

First, I didn't take anything personally...

Why bring up discussions of Trailhead that I probably made YEARS ago?????

I'm not saying it's "Bad" for THSS to not allow moving with a drawn pistol. It's just that moving with a drawn pistol is per SASS RULES. No opinion there pard.

If you think that THSS targets (again, in the past...please read my comments again), were not waaaay out there, you are being disingenuous.

And your post was a "Positive" post...my post was an inquiring post that YOU or anyone else could have looked at in a positive way. To address issues that were/are issues that have keep folks away from THSS. But instead you chose take it negatively and attack. 

What does SASS numbers have to do with anything??? What does having the Judge take your Life Membership money have to do with anything?

Wow...I bring up two issues that were recent issues at THSS where SASS Rules/Conventions were not followed. YOU chose to not simply address them and therefore let folks know that THSS is doing thing right and that if you haven't shot THSS in a while, perhaps you should....NOOOOOOO...can't do that...

Phantom

Back to OP, Trailhead 2019 was a blast. Good stages, very hittable targetes ( I did manage 4  misses<_<) great side matches, (long range at arguably the best long range setup at a CAS club anywhere) lots of shooter prizes, good food at both meals. THSS officers & club members very welcoming and gracious hosts. 

And then the Sunday fun matches. Master gunfighter, couples shoot, team shoot. Everybody there had a great time. If you haven’t made a Sunday at Trailhead you are missing out! 

I’ll be back back  year. 

And I heard a little Birdy say that Trailhead 2021 was going to be really special. 

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

Back to OP, Trailhead 2019 was a blast. Good stages, very hittable targetes ( I did manage 4  misses<_<) great side matches, (long range at arguably the best long range setup at a CAS club anywhere) lots of shooter prizes, good food at both meals. THSS officers & club members very welcoming and gracious hosts. 

And then the Sunday fun matches. Master gunfighter, couples shoot, team shoot. Everybody there had a great time. If you haven’t made a Sunday at Trailhead you are missing out! 

I’ll be back back  year. 

And I heard a little Birdy say that Trailhead 2021 was going to be really special. 

That they are trying to get the State match?

;)

Phantom, I did not attack you!  You have an attitude.  I was making a joke about the judge and you did not get it and maybe I did not say it right.  I forgot to put in there about the fact that I did not know it was the judge at the time and told Taco Bill I just gave some guy smoking a cigar $400.00 for a life membership in SASS and did not get a receipt.  

As for the numbers on the badges, it was to illustrate that I have been doing this longer than you have and have seen most of the changes and most of the buiishit.

If you ask anyone that knows me, they will tell you I am a positive person.  Maybe you should look back at your posts over time and see how negative someone might view your opinions.  Why are you trying to denigrate me or anything or anyone else.  Get a grip!  I have been to all but three Trailheads since 1997 and have won my category a time or two.  

19 minutes ago, Red River Rudy, SASS #8490 LIFE said:

Phantom, I did not attack you!  You have an attitude.  I was making a joke about the judge and you did not get it and maybe I did not say it right.  I forgot to put in there about the fact that I did not know it was the judge at the time and told Taco Bill I just gave some guy smoking a cigar $400.00 for a life membership in SASS and did not get a receipt.  

As for the numbers on the badges, it was to illustrate that I have been doing this longer than you have and have seen most of the changes and most of the buiishit.

If you ask anyone that knows me, they will tell you I am a positive person.  Maybe you should look back at your posts over time and see how negative someone might view your opinions.  Why are you trying to denigrate me or anything or anyone else.  Get a grip!  I have been to all but three Trailheads since 1997 and have won my category a time or two.  

Yeah...that adds to the story...

The relevance of the rest of your post escapes me.

I asked two simple questions...two. 

Do they now allow moving with a revolver in hand?

Do they now allow more than one person loading at a time?

Wow...two simple questions!

And you want me to go back YEARS to look at my post regarding THSS?????? Hell, I've shot THSS in the lasts couple of years...so what?

Two simple questions and this is where we go. You telling me to "get a grip". Ah yes, the Cowboy Way!  :lol:

Phantom

You already have the answers from prior posts!  I think we have had enough of the back and forth.  Put the credit on the folks that put on trailhead!!!!!!!!   They did a great job, worked their tails off and pulled off a great match!

Phantom, I respect your posts!  "Keep your powder dry and your humor dryer, for if you need your powder, you will damn sure need your humor", as my dad would tell one of his best friends.

I was a first timer at Trailhead and will be coming back every year from now on.  Trailhead was a fantastic shoot!  My compliments go out to the THSS for going out of their way to make this one of the best, if not THE best big shoot I’ve been to.  Targets were big and close, scenarios had no P traps at all, and everything about the shoot was enjoyable.  Great folks, these THSS people!

Rudy, it was great shooting with you too!  And yes, posse 4 rocked!!!!

Glad y’all enjoyed it! The main match results are now posted at our website www.thss.org. I’ll post the side match results later this week after I get today's side match results in.

I was sorry to miss today's matches. I love the team and couples shoots. Our little one started coming down with a cold last night so we didn’t get much sleep after getting in from the banquet.

We have missed going to THSS last couple yrs as I've had serious rotator cuff problems.  If the good Lord is willing and the Creek Indians don't rise we plan to be there 2020.  Whatever you have to say about shooting match you have to say this

1)  it's a fun shoot

2) it's has some of the friendliest folks to be around AND

3) they always have a nice banquet and give away lots of guns.....

...crosscut hardy ..........  these are reasons I enjoy CAS

To answer one of Phantom's questions - only one person was supposed to be loading at a time. I dont remember seeing anything about not moving with a pistol, but might have missed it. I shot Trailhead this year after passing on it for several years and I had a great time - targets were good, stage instructions good, beautiful range with bluebonnets blooming, good food on the range and at the banquet, lots of prizes and guns for raffle, rodeo on Friday and  Saturday night right in front of the range and was alot of fun for anyone wanting something to do in the evening. All in all THSS is doing a great job and I will be back next year. If you have never been, I would recommend it and if you have been but  not for a few years I would go back!

2 hours ago, Frio Kid, SASS #31915 said:

To answer one of Phantom's questions - only one person was supposed to be loading at a time. I dont remember seeing anything about not moving with a pistol, but might have missed it. I shot Trailhead this year after passing on it for several years and I had a great time - targets were good, stage instructions good, beautiful range with bluebonnets blooming, good food on the range and at the banquet, lots of prizes and guns for raffle, rodeo on Friday and  Saturday night right in front of the range and was alot of fun for anyone wanting something to do in the evening. All in all THSS is doing a great job and I will be back next year. If you have never been, I would recommend it and if you have been but  not for a few years I would go back!

Thanks for the info. Maybe someone will offer some info on the moving with a pistol in hand.

I think only having one person load at a time is weird..and silly. 

Now for all those...pards...that want to attack me for thinking this: I'm super happy that THSS has improved over the last few years. I'm super ecstatic that they are putting on a good shoot...I'm real crazily overjoyed with the job that the folks at THSS is doing. I'm not ever going to suggest that someone avoid this club or match...

oy...

This was not the Trailhead of 10 years ago. The only criticism I have is over the definition of a continuous sweep. Everything else was great. I've been telling them for a while about what I thought ought to be done to improve things. They've listened and made gradual improvements. This year they nailed it, IMO.  I can't think of anything else that will make it better.

3 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I think only having one person load at a time is weird..and silly. 

I agree. But, that's THEIR rule, and til they change it, I will follow it(for the most part :rolleyes:). That's the least of my worries.

They did no t over-emphasize the “only one at a time loading”  rule. Mentioned it, but did not beat it to death.  

This was was a good, fun, match. Lots of shooter prizes. Lots of guns at banquet raffle (I didn’t  win one :() nice  awards. 

This was my first Trailhead, and I had a blast. I really appreciated the very warm hospitality, and I'm already looking forward to Trailhead 2020.

Incidentally, Posse 5 rocked!

Was at Trailhead in 2014. We had a fantastic time, great stages and great bunch of folks who put  Trailhead on.

Hopefully one of these years we'll  return.

Thanks to all at Trailhead.

JRJ & SP

I would also recommend planning to stay and shoot on Sunday.  They offer the Couples shoot, Team shoot and the man on man type pistol shootout.  It's done very well and is a hoot!  It's my favorite part of the entire match (except for the Rooster's Ride side match).

Archived