SASS Wire Forum

WTC: Starting Position?

Bushy Blonco

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I understand it,  the purpose of the Safety Bar on the '73 is to prevent firing until the Toggles are over-center and fully locked. A much safer option to removal of the Safety Bar is to lighten the spring pressure on the Safety Bar and then adjust the Lever Spring so it just overcomes the Safety Bar Spring when closing. This approach preserves the mechanical purpose of a functional safety as designed, but eliminates the extra pressure needed to seat the Lever home, making the action cycle smoother and easier while keeping it safe. 

Wait, what was this thread about....:huh:

Ooops, sorry if I digressed OWM!  Thanks for keeping us on track, in that spirit...

Here's what I have learned from the answers to the OP:

There are no defined conventions for "at the ready" or "in hands" other than their literal meaning.

It's all about the stage instructions, what do they say?

When writing stages, be specific if you want the shooter in a specific position (rifle shouldered and on target), or keep it simple if you want to let the shooter have some options (rifle in hands = any way they want to hold it as long as it's in both hands and safe). 

Does that sound about right?

5 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

He's referring to posts that are no longer there.  Ask me how I know.:rolleyes:

Nice! Again...

And oh yeah, No P! If you want the shooter to start with rifle at shoulder(or any other specific position), stipulate that.

On 3/26/2019 at 11:40 PM, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Additional commentary:

Any T/O who would intentionally start a shooter, KNOWING that a "faulted" situation exists in order to assess a "P" deserves a MDQ for "unsportsmanlike conduct".

REF: SHB p.23

Deserve......Yes! In a prior discussion was it not determined that T/O’s were exempt from penalties?

3 hours ago, Wyatt said:

Deserve......Yes! In a prior discussion was it not determined that T/O’s were exempt from penalties?

Exempt from most firearm-related penalties while running a stage; but NOT exempt from ALL penalties.

Example:

- Any shooter, guest, or match official who uses foul language, is disrespectful, offensive, rude, or becomes belligerent or threatening in any manner will be disqualified from the event and, at the discretion of the Match Director, may be required to leave the property.  

- Interpersonal conflicts will not be tolerated. 

SHB p.13

The best way I've seen clubs head off problems with a TO of "questionable skill or integrity" is for the posse leader to select and announce the specific folks who will be running the timer on their posse that day.

As we've discussed already on this thread, clarity and communication can prevent a lot of unpleasantness.

Well Allie Mo, we always strive to keep all our TOs polite and on their best behavior at PRVC,  and we look forward to shooting with you at the Lazy Arrow ShootOut in May!!

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 6:53 PM, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Easy solution on this one.

TO's award P's - No one else.

If "I" (as the TO) start the shooter in a faulted position...

"I" (as the TO) have the following options...

Disregard the penalty.

Offer a reshoot.

Award a "P".

Depending on the severity of the infraction; I may decide the first course of action is best and the mistake did not materially affect the competition.

If I determine the infraction was advantageous enough; I will offer a reshoot for TO error/ interference (my failure as a TO will have materially affected their match).

If shooter declines to accept the offered reshoot - then I will explain that while the TO (myself) does carry some fault ; ultimately the responsibility falls upon the shooter and I will have to exercise my option as TO to award the "P".

At a larger or championship level shoot - I would additionally seek out the match director and advise them of my input.

Then I would accept and enact their wishes.

An error that is not entirely of the shooters causing; should always be addressed in such a manner as to have the least amount of impact on the shooters score and overall placement.

I've seen TOs/PMs disregard a P. IMO, that is not appropriate as the shooter has shot the stage differently than everyone else. One time it was the PMs fault as he told the shooter the way the shooter wanted to shoot it was okay. That gave the shooter an advantage over other shooters. IMO, a reshoot was the only option.

18 hours ago, Bushy Blonco said:

Well Allie Mo, we always strive to keep all our TOs polite and on their best behavior at PRVC,  and we look forward to shooting with you at the Lazy Arrow ShootOut in May!!

Thank you Bushy! I will send Roger Rapid an email and ask him to share it with you as I don't have your email. I may not be able to attend. :(

21 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

dead horse.jpg

This  picture is like saying I have a bone to pick with you.:lol:

Enough with the horseplay, quit foaling around! It's time to put this thread to pasture, we've herd enough and strayed from the mane topic over two, neigh, three pages. We've discussed all this with unbridled enthusiasm, but I canter-magin there's more to say. I'm getting horse, so it's time to head for the barn and hit the hay

On 3/25/2019 at 12:42 PM, Bushy Blonco said:

Very helpful comments! Being fairly new to the game, it is a huge help to have you all fill-in-the-blanks regarding interpretation of the SHB and RO courses. As Snakebite said "No rule book can cover every possible 'what-if' situation... it takes UNCOMMON GOOD sense." The wealth of information shared on the Wire really helps clarify the practicality of how the rules are applied. Your willingness to share and help develop common sense and personal responsibility in our sport is what sets it apart and makes it such a good time. Thank you for the discussion and education.

Fixed that for ya... that other is defined as "sheer stupidity" nowadays... 

45 minutes ago, Griff said:

UNCOMMON GOOD sense."

Thanks Griff! I like it, and will change my vocabulary accordingly!!
It goes along well with another of my favorite sayings:
"Those who seek to idiot-proof society underestimate the ingenuity of fools."

Archived