SASS Wire Forum

Leather, in the safe?

Iron Biscuit SASS#108048

Howdy all,

I have a quick question:  where do you keep you leather, rigs, shotgun belt etc? I have been storing them in the safe with the guns, but I am wondering if that is the way to go or not since I want the guns dry and I don't t want the leather to dry out.  

Thanks for input in advance

Iron Biscuit

If you have room in your safe for your leather, you don't have enough guns!  :D

My leather gets left in the back seat of the car much of the time, or in a box in the garage.

I keep nine in the front hall closet.

Well, I was keeping it together, but it does seem to make  more  sense to put on a shelf  nearby.  I totally agree if there's room in the safe, I don't have enough guns! ,lucky for me, cowboy  shooting seems s to be curious g that issue!

Keep leather in your "climate controlled" living quarters.  I use a big "outdoor gear packer" type box, with lid opened a crack to allow air in.   Kept in the house.   Has sufficient moisture to slow down cracking and drying, but not enough to promote mold growth.

Good luck, GJ

I just hang 'em on peg hooks just below my hats, in my office.  If I owned guns, I'd keep them things in a safe... But, not the leather.

no uv, no heat, no moisture. Hang them where you live.

I should add fresh air.

6 hours ago, Grizzly Dave said:

My leather gets left in the back seat of the car much of the time, or in a box in the garage.

I can’t get all my guns in the safe, let alone rigs.

4 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Mine is in the range bag or hanging on hooks mounted to the wall.

All our rigs are hanging on the wall. That way I don’t need to worry about holsters getting messed up.

10 hours ago, Grizzly Dave said:

:lol: :D

By the way, my leather is either hanging in the reloading room or hanging in the Jed I. Van. (Unless I’m sleeping with it on!!)

As a victim of a pretty substantial burglary, I now keep my leather out of plain sight. The thieves took all my leather that was hanging about but none of my guns in the safe. I have spent too much time wondering what the junkies got out of that leather. I know what I had in it. My concerns are not for the conditioning of the leather but rather security. That said there's no room in the safe so the leather goes in an inconspicuous closet with an anvil and grand piano dangling overhead.

I keep mine in the box on my gun cart.  I do however understand why people might keep it in the safe.   My holster set-up is my initial set of CAS leather and didnt set me back much.  It is a different story when a professional grade set of leather might cost as much as a revolver.   If I had a 500 dollar rig and room in mt safe - I'd probably lock it up as well. 

Leather in a gun safe is like throwing a wet sponge in there with your guns.

Please avoid the misconception that the quantity of moisture in the safe changes when you add heaters etc. The air does not 'dry out' from heating. Only the relative humidity changes, which has nothing to do with the quantity of moisture in the safe. Heaters are to prevent condensation, not remove moisture. So when you put your leather in the safe, your adding moisture which will not affect the leather condition because the moisture is still in there. It's your guns that suffer because your raising the dew point temperature to where it will turn to water because of a slight lowering of the safe temperature (like having the A/C on in the house).

Safe dehumidifiers absorb moisture, but that moisture is still inside the safe. So refrain from adding more moisture than necessary by keeping leather in the safe. 

I have a separate, insulated, climate controlled (including humidity) building where I do my loading, & I have a safe in there also, bolted to the floor. The main match leather for my wife & myself go in the safe. If anything nasty happens, like burglary, explosion, etc., I like the idea of the leather having the same fighting chance as the guns. And, this is all the cowboy stuff. The other guns, which don't get used very often, go in a separate safe in a location in the house.

54 minutes ago, Chuck Steak said:

I keep mine in the box on my gun cart.  I do however understand why people might keep it in the safe.   My holster set-up is my initial set of CAS leather and didnt set me back much.  It is a different story when a professional grade set of leather might cost as much as a revolver.   If I had a 500 dollar rig and room in mt safe - I'd probably lock it up as well. 

+1, Mine & Ellies stay in the cart box as with my bad shoulder I can't get an anvil or piano over them!

I keep mine in a carpet bag I use to store all my miscellaneous gear: wild rags, sleeve garters, safety glasses, ear plugs, etc.  I get dressed for a shoot, throw my guns, cart, ammo and carpet bag into the car, and I'm all set.

Blast I truly wonder aboit your logic

enlighten me how does a metal rod with an

electric heating element inside it  “absorb” moisture?

it does in fact lower the humidity ( moisture in the air), thats why they are called dehumidifier rods!

20 hours ago, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

Blast I truly wonder aboit your logic

enlighten me how does a metal rod with an

electric heating element inside it  “absorb” moisture?

it does in fact lower the humidity ( moisture in the air), thats why they are called dehumidifier rods!

First it's not logic, it is about psychometrics.

Second, the 'heater' I referenced is what your talking about. There are also dehydrators that absorb and hold moisture (it's not a metal rod).

I am a thermodynamic engineer; I don't give a crap about what they call there stuff, it DOES NOT lower the humidity in the air, it changes the relative humidity which is the air's ability to hold moisture( ie. it's relative). It has nothing to do with the amount of moisture, it has to do with changing the dew point temperature (or wet bulb temperature). Adding heat prevents condensation from occurring by raising the safe temperature.  An electric light bulb would do the same thing.

The electric heater your talking about raises the 'sensible heat' in the safe. The moisture is 'latent heat' which never changes when you add sensible heaters to the space. All your changing is the relative humidity.

The only metal rod that will 'dehumidify', would be a dielectric rod that freezes the moisture out of the air. As I stated, the moisture still stays in the safe on the rod and is not removed from the inside of the safe. As you stated your talking about a 'heating rod', this is something else all together.

Hope this helps. It is not something most people properly understand. But it's something I work with every day.

Even more dumbed down...for us laymen....Keepin the safe at a higher temp than the outside air keeps things in the safe from them nasty condensates landin on 'em,

I have marveled this phenomnom my entire life watchin them condensates gather on my whiskey glass

Archived