SASS Wire Forum

Are good quality hats worth it? They sure are.

Just Bill SASS# 16394

Did you ever wonder if there is a difference between a cheap off the shelf hat or a custom hat?

This video shows a hat from start to finish. It is a fedora, but the same work goes into making a cowboy brimmed hat, or a bowler hat.

I was amazed to see the hat built from start to finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYH9VHYqMMw

In one word.  Yes.
I bought a hand made Custom hat from Smitty at Colorado Mountain Hat Company back in 2003.  I'm still wearing that same hat in 2019 even though I bought another one 3 years ago from him.  And I just bought a third.

That original hat has been worn to a State match - more than once - when it rained all weekend.  The hat was soaked but never ever lost it's shape.

I’ve got hats made by Knudsen, Colorado Mtn. Hat Company, D bar J and Jackson built and they are all worth every penny I spent on them. I enjoy having a different look at matches.

1 hour ago, Red Rider Rudy said:

It's hard to pay the price!  But yes a good hat is nice!

As I get older I try to embrace the thought of "buy once, cry once." I soon forget what I paid  as I enjoy the story of how the purchase became mine, how much I enjoy it and how I feel when I wear it, whether it's gun leather, boots, hats or firearms.

Just now, Johnny Reno said:

As I get older I try to embrace the thought of "buy once, cry once." I soon forget what I paid  as I enjoy the story of how the purchase became mine, how much I enjoy it and how I feel when I wear it, whether it's gun leather, boots, hats or firearms.

Yeap - life is short...enjoy the finer things if and when you can as you probably worked real hard to get them.

Phantom

2 hours ago, Johnny Reno said:

Well said!

On 3/25/2019 at 5:25 AM, Gunner Gatlin, SASS # 10274 said:

What a treasure - very cool.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Thanks!  That’s the only time Art has allowed his work to be filmed so I think it will have some historical significance.  

8 hours ago, Catlow4697 said:

Jed 

nice video

Has Art retired ?

if so has anyone taken over the business?

thanks CATLOW 

He has not retired.  It will probably be August of 2019 before he actually retires.  Still time to get your order in ;) (tell him I sent you).  

I'm 81, and chasin' 82 real hard. Ive worn hats all my life and I remember when a cowboy could get a decent Bailey hat for about $25. My uncle always bought $100 Stetsons, that was the best hat you could buy at the time. I have a Resistol my wife got me for Christmas about 35 years ago, and it cost about $125 for a 10X beaver.

That was the last off the shelf hat I have. For the last 30 years I have had my hats custom made in Lubbock Tx. at Flint Hat and Boots shop. I pay about $350 for my

hats and by far they beat the off the shelf hats sold today. They are well worth the money if you wear hats as an everyday thing. If y'all are just wearing hats for SASS shoots, a custom hat might be a little expensive. Just my honest opinion.

On 3/24/2019 at 9:03 PM, Johnny Reno said:

You know it!

In my autumn years we finally have enough $ to enjoy the finer things in life: A Yul Lose gun cart; Earthwalker boots; Guns engraved by Aspen Filley; a hat from Colorado Mountain hat co; fancy gun leather from Osage Mike; and a small house in the country where we can retire(hopefully). 

Life is GOOD!

I couldnt bring myself to spend a small fortune on a hat right out of the gate and bought a cheap one online. It was the most uncomfortable thing i'd ever placed on my head. I wanted something different and a style you dont see everyday. I started looking at custom hats and was floored by the starting prices. I ended up talking to maverick custom hat restoration per some good pards referrals. I found out that he does 100% custom hats in addition to just fixing up your old hat. His prices were about half as much as other customs that I had been looking at. I just got it about 6 weeks ago and i'll tell you what, I couldnt be happier with the fit and look. I'm not sure I'll ever buy another hat off the rack again.  

Here is a younger hat maker located in WV, Mavericks Custom Hats & Restoration  He is only on Facebook, no website, but he is very responsive via email and messenger, plus he lists his phone number.

I've bought my last hat from him and I was pleased not only with the price and speed but also with the quality.  He used a Stetson for the base and moulded it just the way we talked about, then he sent me pictures before shipping.  His guarantee, if you don't like it or it doesn't fit return it and he'll make the deal right.  Here is a  link to his catalog: Catalog.   

I recommend him if you want a quality custom made hat. 

I used to wear factory hats for some years before I realized what a step up a custom handmade hat was! I used to get headaches from wearing hats all day just because there were no factory hats that took my head size and shape into consideration. 

I now have several custom hats that I love and wear nearly every day. My favorite maker is John Penman of the Penman Hat Company. http://www.penmanhats.com/

2 minutes ago, Straight Arrow Hombre said:

I keep thinking I want a custom hat. Just can’t decide what style. 

Head shape has a lot to do with what style hats would work for you. I recommend asking a custom hatter for their recommendations. Of course- in the end it's up to you but it always helps to get a professional opinion.

Archived