SASS Wire Forum

Anyone done a DNA test? Surprises?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both my wife’s test and mine have a minimal percentage of Germanic European DNA. Mine is 9%, I think my wife’s is 10%. But my daughter’s test does not show Germanic European DNA. Odd.

11 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Both my wife’s test and mine have a minimal percentage of Germanic European DNA. Mine is 9%, I think my wife’s is 10%. But my daughter’s test does not show Germanic European DNA. Odd.

Not odd at all. It just confirms how inaccurate their analysis of ancestry really is.

Earlier you mentioned the lack of Native American ancestry in your analysis despite your families previous claims to the contrary and how you felt about it.

If you and your wife were proud of and actually celebrated this Germanic ancestry, how would you feel if  your daughter placed her faith in the DNA test and decided you both just fabricated your Germanic heritage? Not saying this to be disrespectful I am just pointing out a perfect example of just how flawed this analysis may actually be.

Think about it.

18 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Not odd at all. It just confirms how inaccurate their analysis of ancestry really is.

Earlier you mentioned the lack of Irish ancestry in your analysis despite your families previous claims to the contrary and how you felt about it.

If you and your wife were proud of and actually celebrated this Germanic ancestry, how would you feel if  your daughter placed her faith in the DNA test and decided you both just fabricated your Germanic heritage? Not saying this to be disrespectful I am just pointing out a perfect example of just how flawed this analysis may actually be.

Think about it.

DNA is absolutely 100% accurate.

I know this cuz I saw it on the Internet. :lol::lol:

52 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Earlier you mentioned the lack of Native American ancestry in your analysis despite your families previous claims to the contrary and how you felt about it.

Think about it.

From what I understand a parent doesn’t pass down exact DNA sequences that match the parents. In other words if I were 50% Irish and 50% African and my wife was 50% English and 50% Pacific Islander my daughter wouldn’t be 25% of each of those. She may get more of one than the other. 

I take no offense Dave. You make a valid point. 

Also, if you knew my family you wouldn’t be surprised that the truth had been stretched. ;)

13 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Simple to explain - Gypsies swapped out babies in the hospital.

41 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

From what I understand a parent doesn’t pass down exact DNA sequences that match the parents. In other words if I were 50% Irish and 50% African and my wife was 50% English and 50% Pacific Islander my daughter wouldn’t be 25% of each of those. She may get more of one than the other. 

I take no offense Dave. You make a valid point. 

Also, if you knew my family you wouldn’t be surprised that the truth had been stretched. ;)

My moms side of the family has the opposite problem. Back in the 70s, my Mom's sister was tracing her family tree and discovered the very real possibility that her Great Great Great Grandma was considered a full blooded member of the Creek tribe.  Seems that her mom and dad took advantage of the chaos of post Civil War America to return to their ancestral homelands in the Appalachian mountains. There they lived and raised a very large family.. My Great Grandpa was forced to flee the Carolina's to escape imprisonment for moonshining and eventually settled in central Missouri.

While my Aunt was researching our genealogy she discovered that one of her Aunts knew the location of several diaries that documented this and a whole lot more family history in great detail. However she was one of those that believed that if the truth was known it would have been a great embarrassment to her and a couple others in the family that were ashamed of our heritage. When my Aunt found out about them and was trying to locate them they wound up being destroyed rather than risk the possibility that someone find out that my ancestors were real people that dealt with real life the best way they knew how. She and a few others preferred to present their heritage as having descended from much more noble and refined blood.

All we have left is a very old family bible. Unfortunately it was in bad and several of the names and dates in the family tree and not legible enough to make definitive connections. 

I was fortunate to read some transcripts from several interviews that a grad student from University of Missouri conducted with my Great Grandma before she passed.  She was collecting oral histories about life in Missouri during the depression. Great Grandma must have took a shine to that girl because she said more to her in one session than I heard he speak in 10 years.

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I know this 'cause Abby said so. So there! :P

I did a DNA test to prove / disprove my lineage to my clan founder.  It proved that I descend directly from the clan founder through the male line, who was born in the early 1200s.

Having done a lot of my genealogy, I knew that I'm mostly Scottish, with some Irish, Welsh, and English scattered in there.  But if there is a Scottish clan name, it likely appears in my ancestry.

What I expected to see was something surprising -- I expected to be surprised with something new (like being 1 / 1024th Native American or something)...but...NOTHING!   The surprise was I am COMPLETELY from the British isles, with the vast majority being Scottish.

While I know saying a person is part Vulcan is a joke, supposing, somewhere, somehow, Earth was visited by extra-terrestrial aliens.  Wonder how that would show up...if at all? :o :ph34r:  After all, there is a place in the Bible that says that when angles descended to Earth, they found the women desirable....  Just sayin'!

16 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Rarely is anything 100%. In our case it was  :D . It's accurate enough to be solving decades old cold cases though.... ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

11 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

While I know saying a person is part Vulcan is a joke, supposing, somewhere, somehow, Earth was visited by extra-terrestrial aliens.  Wonder how that would show up...if at all? :o :ph34r:  After all, there is a place in the Bible that says that when angles descended to Earth, they found the women desirable....  Just sayin'!

It would show up as Neanderthal. 

27 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

It would show up as Neanderthal. 

Well, there has been some evidence of Neanderthal DNA in modern homo sapiens.  But I have also known some people who would definitely qualify as Neanderthals! :P

14 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Well, there has been some evidence of Neanderthal DNA in modern homo sapiens.  But I have also known some people who would definitely qualify as Neanderthals! :P

My results showed I have more neanderthal DNA than 75% of humans. 

I didn't pick neanderthal by accident. 

10 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Troglodites! ;)

My dad did our family tree before computer made it easier, and I do know the family tree back to around  the 1400 or something like that. I took both ancestry and national geographic DNA test and both of them came back showing the same thing even the percentage s were real close to the same. 

That is good new Shoer. And very cool that your Dad did that for your family and your generations to come.

Unfortunately, I will pretty much have to rely on what I get from my own research. My Dad was adopted and I don’t know any of his blood family. My Mom’s family had some secrets that no one would discuss so no help there.

Ancestry.com is going to be my main tool for figuring out my ancestry.

My wife wanted mine sent in so I did it.  There was a little bit of a surprise though.  I know I am one half Mexican on my mother's side, but when the results came back I found out I am 43% native American whatever that means.  Now my father is from Oklahoma, but I can't ask him as he died in 1967.  My mother is still going strong at the age of 96 though.

13 hours ago, Pay Dirt Norvelle #90056 said:

My wife wanted mine sent in so I did it.  There was a little bit of a surprise though.  I know I am one half Mexican on my mother's side, but when the results came back I found out I am 43% native American whatever that means.  Now my father is from Oklahoma, but I can't ask him as he died in 1967.  My mother is still going strong at the age of 96 though.

Not surprising. Lots of intermarrying or cohabitation for hundreds of years between the Mexican and Indian population.

On 3/29/2019 at 8:59 AM, Gunner Gatlin, SASS # 10274 said:

Rarely is anything 100%. In our case it was  :D . It's accurate enough to be solving decades old cold cases though.... ;)

There's a difference in matching DNA samples and ancestral DNA. As far as matches go it very very accurate.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

There's a difference in matching DNA samples and ancestral DNA. As far as matches go it very very accurate.

There are cases were ancestry DNA results have been paired with DNA samples found from crimes scenes to make a match to a suspect.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/dna-genetic-genealogy-major-game-changer-heat-decades/story?id=56172244

GG

57 minutes ago, Gunner Gatlin, SASS # 10274 said:

There are cases were ancestry DNA results have been paired with DNA samples found from crimes scenes to make a match to a suspect.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/dna-genetic-genealogy-major-game-changer-heat-decades/story?id=56172244

GG

Yes I know matches are accurate. I think you misunderstood my post. I was speaking of the accuracy of the DNA in terms of saying “You are 18% Lithuanianl” etc dur to the aforementioned mutations etc.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Yes I know matches are accurate. I think you misunderstood my post. I was speaking of the accuracy of the DNA in terms of saying “You are 18% Lithuanianl” etc dur to the aforementioned mutations etc.

Roger that. AncestryDNA is always updating and we have seen some changes over the years so I can see what your saying. 

Happy day UB

GG

On 3/26/2019 at 6:42 AM, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

My DNA Test Shows my Ancestors was Adam and Eve ! :D

Just sayin.

Rooster 

So, the next branch down on your family tree would be either Cain, Abel or Seth, and the female would have been...?

16 hours ago, Badlands Beady said:

So, the next branch down on your family tree would be either Cain, Abel or Seth, and the female would have been...?

There are a number possibilities...

https://answersingenesis.org/bible-characters/cain/creation-basics/

https://www.blueletterbible.org/faq/don_stewart/don_stewart_717.cfm

http://apologeticspress.org/apcontent.aspx?category=11&article=1145

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362
On 3/28/2019 at 9:32 PM, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

I did a DNA test to prove / disprove my lineage to my clan founder.  It proved that I descend directly from the clan founder through the male line, who was born in the early 1200s.

Having done a lot of my genealogy, I knew that I'm mostly Scottish, with some Irish, Welsh, and English scattered in there.  But if there is a Scottish clan name, it likely appears in my ancestry.

What I expected to see was something surprising -- I expected to be surprised with something new (like being 1 / 1024th Native American or something)...but...NOTHING!   The surprise was I am COMPLETELY from the British isles, with the vast majority being Scottish.

Not unusual at all.

I just paid $10 for the Ancestry DNA Traits analysis. It gave me a list of people that could be 1st and 2nd cousins. I have never heard of any of these people but one stuck out. There is a lady in PA that showed up on my daughter’s list as a close genetic match and as a “second cousin”. That same lady shows up on my list as a first cousin. 

My daughter sent this lady a PM and this “lady” about lost her mind calling my daughter a “liar, liar, pants on fire” and thoroughly denying any relationship. 

I sent the lady an invite to compare information. That oughta set her free. :D

Because my family seemed so isolated from other members of our “family” I have a feeling things might get interesting in my ancestry search.

Archived