SASS Wire Forum

Anyone done a DNA test? Surprises?

I just got around to checking my results from an Ancestry.com DNA test, mostly no surprise.......53% English/Welsh/NW European, 38% Irish/Scot.......and 9% Norwegian! That doesn't sound too strange, but genetically 9% is a strong hit, like about a great grandparent. Problem is there are no known Norwegians in my ancestry! No one on either side of my family has any idea where that came from. I guess one of my grandparents somewhere about 3 generations ago had some extracurricular activity! :lol:

Sus amigo,

JHC

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Voluntarily sending my DNA off to anyone for any reason is not something I'd do. 

AND pay THEM to do whatever they want with it.

Zero comfort level on my part for that.

My ancestry results, if even accurate, are not worth the potential risks of loss of privacy and security regarding my personal DNA. 

Just my thought.

My sister did the test. We were always told our maternal great grandmother was a full blood Cherokee. Her test revealed zero percentage of native American genetics. She was disappointed.  :lol:

I haven’t done mine. There would be differences as me and my sis had different dads. 

5 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Well the British isles got invaded by the Vikings around 700-800 that doesn’t surprise me at all.

True, but 9% (if anywhere near accurate) is too much for a Viking raider 1200 years ago. I spent some time on the phone yesterday with a recently discovered cousin who's big into genealogy and he agreed.

JHC

4 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

True, but 9% (if anywhere near accurate) is too much for a Viking raider 1200 years ago. I spent some time on the phone yesterday with a recently discovered cousin who's big into genealogy and he agreed.

JHC

Well, you are thinking one Viking ancestor, maybe ten or twenty.

I’m not exactly sure what danger there is in having a test done. So my dna would be out there. And?

Plenty of reasons. And as technology advances, who knows what potential risks there could be in the future. I for one don't want my DNA on file somewhere, me having freely given up that personal information.  

https://www.investors.com/politics/commentary/dna-testing-kits-risks-privacy/

http://fortune.com/2018/09/10/genetic-history-test-privacy-risk/

20 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I’m not exactly sure what danger there is in having a test done. So my dna would be out there. And?

Me either unless one is afraid of a paternity suit or some such, and I haven't planted my seed anywhere I shouldn't have. ;)

JHC

Contact your local LDS / Mormon church and ask where their local Stake Center is.  They'll usually let you use it for the cost of copying what ever you find and you don't have to join the church to use it.  They generally aren't even aggressive with pushing the word, either.

What have you got to lose?

7 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Me either unless one is afraid of a paternity suit or some such, and I haven't planted my seed anywhere I shouldn't have. ;)

JHC

When signing up, you can choose what they do with the results, up to ONLY sending you the results. Which is what I did. 

I submitted my DNA for test. The results haven’t come back yet. My wife’s did and she was surprised that she had no Polish ancestry.

My daughter got her results. My Dad always said he was Scots-Irish / Cherokee Indian. My daughter’s results showed Zero American Indian. If my Dad were alive he’d probably be stomping mad.

Once I get my results I’ll get to see if there were any woodpile activities in my background. 

By by the way, I figure if anyone wanted my DNA they’d be able to get it fairly easily. Heck, my finger prints are on file from one end of this nation to the other. 

Maybe they could clone me. That would be awesome! :lol:

1 hour ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

JHC

Viking genes are twice the size!

Problems with Indian DNA can be traced in some part to an area in the mid-south east portion of the country.  Many of the Indians Cherokee and others learned that they could live a much more peaceful life if they identified as Portuguese.  Blacks if they were lighter skinned could also become Portuguese or if darker the became Cherokee.   I show 1% African which I would bet comes from one of  my "Cherokee" ancestors.

I have always identified a Swedish but discovered I show 6% Swedish and nearly 62% Irish.

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

Plenty of reasons. And as technology advances, who knows what potential risks there could be in the future. I for one don't want my DNA on file somewhere, me having freely given up that personal information.  

Thanks Dan, those articles were interesting.

My feelings are mixed.

One is I'm so glad they caught the Golden State Killer. We, in Sacramento, knew of him and feared him as the East Area Rapist.

However, what "Big Brother" or "Big Insurance" could do with the results is not heartwarming. False or crossed results are a concern with any testing.

There is something seriously wrong with the analyses. Maybe they all use the same software, maybe not.  There were three women, the Dahm triplets, famous only because they were the only triplets to appear in Playboy. DNA confirms that they are identical. However the analyses said they had different heritages.  As Homer would say DOH!

6 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

My sister did the test. We were always told our maternal great grandmother was a full blood Cherokee. Her test revealed zero percentage of native American genetics. She was disappointed.  :lol:

My ex-wife always claimed to be 1/4 Cherokee. This past Christmas, one of the DNA sites was offering a "percent off" deal, so my daughter sent a sample in. It came back mostly Norwegian/Swede, and zero percent injun. :lol:

If my grandparent and great-grandparents told the truth about where they came from, I should be either 1/4 Swede and 3/4 Norwegian, or 1/4 Swede, 1/4 (Foster), and 1/2 Norwegian. No one really knows where the Fosters came from a few generations back... the UK, Scandinavia, or possibly even Germany.

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

I cut myself on a piece off glass yesterday and my blood was green ,SO, I determined I must be IRISH , VULCAN or Both.:D :FlagAm:

6 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Like Fingerprints? 

1 hour ago, Texas jack Black SASS#9362 said:

I cut myself on a piece off glass yesterday and my blood was green ,SO, I determined I must be IRISH , VULCAN or Both.:D :FlagAm:

Kapla or Qapla’...depending on your familiarization with the language. :P

1 hour ago, Texas jack Black SASS#9362 said:

An old friend has always said I look like I've got Vulcan in me, (big ears), so when my DNA profile came in I sent him this:

dna.png

Mrs. Lose was surprised that she’s more Native American than she thought she was.

3 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

An old friend has always said I look like I've got Vulcan in me, (big ears), so when my DNA profile came in I sent him this:

dna.png

Live long and prosper! spock-4.jpg

I don't know how this effects Native American but in Australia they cant determine Aboriginal Heritage as they don't have a big enough Gene sample to compare it to.

It has been said as more and more people are tested they will build a library of markers and will discover people who previously were not indicative of a group ( Aboriginal, Native American, Inuit, Vulcan) will then be classified as partly belonging to that group.

Hold on you may be part Native American yet?

I also put my Scandinavian links to over active Vikings, noting that the Normans were also Northerners so it may be multiple dips into that gene pool over many centuries?

Also I have been told that the company's doing this are, or linked to, LDS/Mormons as ancestry is very important to their religious beliefs (apologies I don't know what the link is and if I have offended anyone it is omission of knowledge on my behalf not commission of a deliberate offence).

If an ethnic marker is present only on one chromosome then only about half of that person’s descendants will inherit that marker.  All of Mom’s 46 chromosomes and all of Dad’s 46 chromosomes are shaken and stirred before 23 of them get packaged into an ovum or sperm cell.  Each of us only get half of each parent’s genetic material, and siblings get different halves.  Lack of an ethnic marker in one individual  does not prove the absence of that ethnicity in the family.  You would have to study the DNA of everyone in the family to draw meaningful conclusions.

Archived