SASS Wire Forum

How bad is Illinois?

Lawdog Dago Dom

New Governor proposing increase in gas tax from .19 to .38 per gallon. Population leaving, even illegal immigrants numbers are down. Lost count on the anti-gun bills being drafted.

Fill the tank before you get to the border.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-03-22/illinois-demographic-collapse-continues-get-out-soon-you-can

Ohio's new governor wants a .18 tax hike on gasoline! It must be in the air, after all we do get weather from Illinois the next day! 

14 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Ohio's new governor wants a .28 tax hike on gasoline! It must be in the air, after all we do get weather from Illinois the next day! 

Ohio is already .28, .56 would put into california’s League. Maybe he is putting 28 out there to get 14 after negotiations.

In a few more years the rest of the nation will be saddled with paying off the state's pension deficit. :( Wonder how long it will be before their poor political choices destroy Florida.

Howdy 

Illinois isn't too bad unless you live in Cook County.

Even Cook isn't real bad unless you live in Chicago.

Cops are getting shot and mugged, see todays news.

Due to super cold last winter my windshield cracked.

I wonder how much to get bulletproof??

Motorists driving on I57 get used for target practice by gangbangers.

All from tv I haven't been in Chicago in years.

Friends retire and move.

Best

CR

still here.....????don't know why...

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Ohio is already .28, .56 would put into california’s League. Maybe he is putting 28 out there to get 14 after negotiations.

I made a mistake, it's a .18 cent tax hike that he wants!https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2019/02/20/gas-tax-ohio-governor-mike-dewine-proposes-increase/2879951002/

Michigan's governor has proposed a 45 cent increase in gasoline tax to be implemented over the next few years.  The new tax is supposed to be used for road improvements.  We've been down that road (pun intended) before.  Tax increase--funds diverted to some other "worthwhile" cause.

Raise taxes and misspend the money.Gotta be able to fund those welfare programs.

6 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Raise taxes and misspend the money.Gotta be able to fund those welfare programs.

BINGO!!!!

Missouri is also asking for a gas tax increase.  They make the excuse that our gas taxes are lower than most of the nation, as if that is a bad thing.

Vermont wants to now add a heating fuel tax to pay for energy improvements for the welfare crowd.  I'm getting real tired of paying for everyone Else's needs.

I've never had kids but pay dearly for school taxes and now Bernie wants to give out free college. How much will that cost. I just went on Medicare that I've been paying since I went work at 14, now I have to pay for Medicare. So much more the benefit I worked my life for.

Sorry Pat, I went off topic from the OP of gas taxes.;)

My opinion on taxes.

The tax bill should be required to specify what the taxes will pay for and have a expiration date.

If tax money is diverted, then the tax bill is void and all money returned to the tax payers.

AND the people who proposed redirecting the tax money from it's original project should be prosecuted/convicted for theft of public tax moneys.

Yes, I am tired of politicians steeling and making a fortune off the tax payers.

Word of warning. Do not come to Texas. its full of rattlers. scorpions, spiders, supper hot in the summer like 116F, blizzards in the winter in the panhandle.

Just one terrible place to live, oh and did I mention that it takes longer to drive the length of Texas than it does to drive from Texas to Calf.

Howdy,

Interesting thing gas tax.

I know some folks who vacation a bit and they try to have empty tank

in Missouri....So that state gets sales tax and gas tax and snack tax from travelers.

Raise the tax, lose the sales.  Simple economics 101.

One state out east passed tax targeted on millionares.

The next couple years millionares  'moved' to other states.

Word was they just designated another home as permanent instead of vacation.

Change driver lic. change car registration to other state.

Just what I heard, don't  know any myself.

Best

CR

Illinois can't be all bad. I am a native son.  Wait, maybe that is not a good thing for Illinois. 

ALL states want to raise gas taxes. A hedge against when all we have is high speed trains in operation,

Like Washington's Sounder.  Look to the future cowboys and cowgirls. Another advantage of high speed trains,

makes train robbery more difficult. Jesse and Frank would never be able to keep up on horse back.

Neither would Butch and Sundance. 

Missouri is famous for diverting tax revenue. It's one of the reasons voters denied the 1 cent "transportation" sales tax proposed a few years ago. Proponents refused to specify how the money would be squandered...err, "spent". 

A few years prior, Kansas City voters approved a 3/8 cent sales tax specifically for the bus system. The city pirates...err, "leaders" then diverted the funds to other pet projects and still have the temerity to claim the bus system needs more money.

7 hours ago, Tascosa, SASS# 24838 said:

Word of warning. Do not come to Texas. its full of rattlers. scorpions, spiders, supper hot in the summer like 116F, blizzards in the winter in the panhandle.

Just one terrible place to live, oh and did I mention that it takes longer to drive the length of Texas than it does to drive from Texas to Calf.

Bugs.  You forgot to mention the bugs...  Texas can be downright bugular, don'tcha know...  bug.gif

And I mean other than the scorpions and spiders.  :rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Bugs.  You forgot to mention the bugs...  Texas can be downright bugular, don'tcha know...  bug.gif

And I mean other than the scorpions and spiders.  :rolleyes:

Yep the love bugs just lovely.

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 2:31 PM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Now, Tascosa!

You know you're speaking to fellow SASSers. Would you really like to discourage us from being your neighbors?

:(

Allie

Ma'am, SASS people are welcome, but not anyone else. Texas is starting to be blue a little because of all the people fleeing calif and other states.

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 2:01 PM, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

My opinion on taxes.

The tax bill should be required to specify what the taxes will pay for and have a expiration date.

If tax money is diverted, then the tax bill is void and all money returned to the tax payers.

AND the people who proposed redirecting the tax money from it's original project should be prosecuted/convicted for theft of public tax moneys.

Yes, I am tired of politicians steeling and making a fortune off the tax payers.

It's a great idea, but only has 2 chances of being adopted - Slim and None, and Slim just left town.

Archived