SASS Wire Forum

Making a hitching rail prop

Diamond Curly SASS#57086

It's got to be able to break easily when a fight breaks out at the saloon it's in front of and tall enough to duck under instead of walking around.  Kidding aside, back when we had horses our hitching post was two 4x4s stuck in the ground with another 4x4 nailed down on top. I assume you could make a moveable unit by making a tee with 2x4s at the bottom of each post.

3 hours ago, Cholla said:

It's got to be able to break easily when a fight breaks out at the saloon it's in front of and tall enough to duck under instead of walking around.  Kidding aside, back when we had horses our hitching post was two 4x4s stuck in the ground with another 4x4 nailed down on top. I assume you could make a moveable unit by making a tee with 2x4s at the bottom of each post.

Thanks, sounds good

3 hours ago, Cholla said:

Yep.

Keep in mind that if shooters are going to be moving near a temporary prop that the T-base doesn't become a trip hazard.

A weighted L base with the bottom of the L down range will not trip up shooters like a T base will.

I did one a few years ago that we still use. I have a lot of scrub juniper that I've cut off our dryland pasture for firewood, so I took a couple of relatively straight juniper branches about three inches thick and three feet long, screwed a piece of half inch plywood to the bottom of each for a base, drilled a 1/4 inch lag screw part way into the top of each and cut off the hex head, then drilled a hole in the side of another branch about four feet long at each end to fit over the lag screws sticking out of the other pieces. Breaks down into three pretty light pieces and easy to store, and the thin plywood isn't a tripping hazard.

The junipers aren't totally straight and I left the bark on them, so it looks pretty rustic too...

21 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Keep in mind that if shooters are going to be moving near a temporary prop that the T-base doesn't become a trip hazard.

A weighted L base with the bottom of the L down range will not trip up shooters like a T base will.

Thanks for your idea.  DC

7 hours ago, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

I did one a few years ago that we still use. I have a lot of scrub juniper that I've cut off our dryland pasture for firewood, so I took a couple of relatively straight juniper branches about three inches thick and three feet long, screwed a piece of half inch plywood to the bottom of each for a base, drilled a 1/4 inch lag screw part way into the top of each and cut off the hex head, then drilled a hole in the side of another branch about four feet long at each end to fit over the lag screws sticking out of the other pieces. Breaks down into three pretty light pieces and easy to store, and the thin plywood isn't a tripping hazard.

The junipers aren't totally straight and I left the bark on them, so it looks pretty rustic too...

We have a lot of pine trees on our property so will look for some good branches. DC

Magdalena (now closed) used to have hitching posts behind the shooting line.  Spotters loved to lean on them.  Place you hitching posts where the spotters have a good view and they will love them.

Archived