SASS Wire Forum

WTC Dropped Gun

I do not do face book and was told that a similar topic was recently discussed. Today a shooter went to the unloading table. He placed both revolvers on the table as well as his rifle and shotgun. He showed the shotgun to the unloading officer and the officer cleared it and the shooter placed it back on the table. The shooter then picked up  the rifle and cycled it and  the officer cleared that. When the shooter placed the rifle back down on the table to do the pistols next, he hit the shotgun knocking it off the table onto the ground. WTC, no call for gun had been cleared or stage DQ for dropping a firearm on the ground before all guns were cleared.

The call was a no call because that gun had been cleared and discarded. I believe SASS rules as written may say safe when all guns are cleared but I am just to tired to look it up at this time. Looking for an easy answer as so many do here. Can I be any more honest that that.

SDQ.  As you noted, if it had happened after all the guns had been cleared it would have been a No Call.

BS

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Simple.

SDQ

You're still on the Stage until all guns are cleared.

Phantom

Hey Old Man:lol:

What section of the shooters handbook is that? I can't find it.

Then again-I'm still look'n for my mind.........:lol:

The SG was 'cleared' at the UT.

https://www.sassnet.com/Downloads/Shooters Handbook Vers 23.2 MASTER COPY.pdf

OLG

you aren't "safe" until the last firearm has  been cleared,,, sdq

While I was digging through the SHB trying to find information I stumbled onto this tidbit:

SHB, page 22, Penalties Overview

Minor Safety Violation (MSV) infractions include:

- Open, empty long guns that slip and fall - but do not break the 170 degree safety rule or sweep anyone.

BS

SDQ shooter was still on the firing line.

Page 23 SHB

STAGE DISQUALIFICATION PENALTY (SDQ) A Stage Disqualification (SDQ or “Stage DQ”) is generally a safety violation of a more serious nature, and means the competitor’s time and performance on the course of fire is disqualified as a result of the violating action by the shooter.   - Shooting on the move (continuous, fluid movement while engaging targets). - Any dropped unloaded firearm on the firing line. 

Page 44 SHB Section 9 Glossary of terms

Firing line – from first firearm placed on the loading table until all firearms are confirmed as cleared at the unloading table.

2 minutes ago, Barry Sloe said:

The penalties seem to be conflicting. 

BS

No conflict that I can see, you are quoting a gun that slips and falls.  In this case the gun was knocked off the table by the shooter hence it's a dropped gun.  Even though it had been cleared the shooter was still on the firing line because he/she still had uncleared guns.  

6 minutes ago, Barry Sloe said:

The penalties seem to be conflicting. 

BS

According to the OP, the shotgun was knocked off the ULT by the shooter's direct action...same as "dropped".
This is NOT a "slips & fall" scenario.

Revolvers were not cleared = shooter is still on the firing line.

SDQ

REF: rules cited by Grey Beard above.

10 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

According to the OP, the shotgun was knocked off the ULT by the shooter's direct action...same as "dropped".
This is NOT a "slips & fall" scenario.

Revolvers were not cleared = shooter is still on the firing line.

SDQ

REF: rules cited by Grey Beard above.

Thank you sir, all my lazy efforts have payed off.

Archived