SASS Wire Forum

Honor Among Enemies

Subdeacon Joe

In a similar vein is the purported words of Kamal Ataturk about the ANZAC's at Gallipoli.

Ataturk was a Turkish Divisional Commander at Gallipoli and is credited with being a major factor in the Allies defeat.

He is said to have said the words on this wall in 1934 (the wall is at Gallipoli) and there are memorials to Kamal in Australia and New Zealand.

Does anyone know of any other world war (or other National Wars) enemies who have honored one another so enthusiastically?

In case it cant be read

Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives ... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours ... You, the mothers who sent their sons from faraway countries, wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

296987.jpg

9 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

In a similar vein is the purported words of Kamal Ataturk about the ANZAC's at Gallipoli.

Ataturk was a Turkish Divisional Commander at Gallipoli and is credited with being a major factor in the Allies defeat.

He is said to have said the words on this wall in 1934 (the wall is at Gallipoli) and there are memorials to Kamal in Australia and New Zealand.

Does anyone know of any other world war (or other National Wars) enemies who have honored one another so enthusiastically?

In case it cant be read

Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives ... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours ... You, the mothers who sent their sons from faraway countries, wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

296987.jpg

DANG!  One heck of a message there.  An interesting man of great vision.  

16 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I have the book.  There is a lot more to Franz Stigler's story than is in this short clip.  It never mentions how Luftwaffe fighter pilots were treated by the German civilians after the war.  They were viewed as cowards for having let the allies bomb Germany.  It is a very interesting story.

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Germany after the war was a strange place. I did not appreciate the differences when I was there but I could see them on later visits.

Germany has always been a strange place. ;)

Archived