SASS Wire Forum

Little Known Historic Sites

Subdeacon Joe

I have only been to one of the sites listed. 

Fort Necessity in Pennsylvania. I went when I was a kid. Very good history lessson.

I live about 25 minutes or so from Huffman Prairie. I'm a little embarrassed to admit I've driven past it many times, some of them on my way to the much more popular Museum of the U.S. Air Force at Wright-Patterson. I suppose that article should be impetus to actually go there.

Interesting tidbit of information. The piece on Huffman Prairie mentions the Wright brothers riding the "interurban" to get to Huffman Prairie. It was the Ohio Electric Railway, a branch of which ran parallel to my property about 30 feet or so from my back fence. My place is sectioned off a farm, and the line evidently had a right of way along the farm. Mrs. Doc used to ride horses at the place as a kid and teenager, and they would find railroad spikes even then. I'd love to get out and metal detect it, but the more recent owners haven't cared for the land as well as the old owner.

5 hours ago, DocWard said:

I'm a little embarrassed to admit I've driven past it many times,

That is a pretty common thing - not going to local landmarks.  I've had people come for visits and are amazed that I don't go, or haven't gone, to some of the local, or at least nearby, landmarks or points of historic interest.

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

That is a pretty common thing - not going to local landmarks.  I've had people come for visits and are amazed that I don't go, or haven't gone, to some of the local, or at least nearby, landmarks or points of historic interest.

I'm somewhat that way. However, I went to the CA state capitol building four times in one year. I've been to Old Sacramento a gazillion times.

5 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I’m happy to  admit I’ve been to a number of them locally, but that is one I’ve neglected 

I've only been to 2 of these sites. The Maggie Walker home in Richmond, and the Pillsbury A Mill in Mnpls.

Archived