SASS Wire Forum

S&W revolver lock problems

Dantankerous

So this doesn't hijack Abilene Slim's thread...

Regarding Smith and Wesson revolvers I know the older or pre (safety) lock revolvers are generally thought of as higher quality and highly sought after by Smith and Wesson revolver aficionados or just by folks who want nothing to do with what's now known as the Clinton safety on a S&W revolver. Unsightly thing, that safety keyhole on the side of the gun, IMO.

On other websites I have read reports where the safety lock fails and actually locks up the gun making it unusable. I have also seen a couple of videos demonstrating this failure. I have no idea how widespread or rampant this problem has been but it certainly something that would concern me greatly were I to want to carry a newer Smith and Wesson revolver for personal protection. 

Have any of you here actually had a problem with the safety lock failing, causing the gun to become inoperable? Lots of newer Smith and Wessons are very aesthetically pleasing and balanced quite well. I'd love to get 1 or 2 but the lock failure issue so far has scared me away from them. 

I recently had several new revolvers side-by-side including a Smith and Wesson 686 Plus that I absolutely loved except for the safety lock. Needless to say its counterpart from Ruger is the one that came home with me. 

A lot of 1911 shooters also have a similar issue with Colt's series 80 internal safety mechanism. I'm wondering if the Smith's safety is generally much ado about nothing like most people's experience with the series 80 from Colt?

my experience is it is much ado about nothing. I have shot the daylights out of mine with no hint of any issues. I sure don't like the look of the lock but it really doesn't bother me otherwise.

Only heard of one instance in person (as opposed to internet).  It involved a lighweight scandium j frame dropped on a hard surface.  Guy got it fixed and apparently has had no more issues.

Only had a few of the lock guns myself (prefer pre  Bangor Punta guns), but none have ever caused a problem.

No problems here with the Smiths or Series 80.

Well, I never had a problem with the new S&W locks, aside from the looks, but I only own 1 newer Smith...

I usually take my pistols to my gunsmith for an action job, whether I think they need it or not, and I had heard of these possible problems. So, when I got this 627 PC I did my usual and asked him to disable the lock. He did so and said I'll never have to worry about it again. It was not the first time he'd performed this job. Someday, maybe I'll see about a plug for that ugly hole.20180324_165327.thumb.jpg.bae9e6ba771e5ab0e1cf18eaf954e794.jpg 

Nope. I have the lock on my 327 Night Guard and my model 60 Pro. I have run .357 Magnum in both and shot them both a lot.

Personally, I think those that have lock problems have created the problem to have something to bi...complain about.

Anyone that I have heard say “I know a guy that had problems with his lock” I have called Bull Spit on and asked them to prove it. The back peddling is quite humorous and quite annoying all at the same time.

Yep. I am opinionated on certain things. 

19 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Have any of you here actually had a problem with the safety lock failing, causing the gun to become inoperable? Lots of newer Smith and Wessons are very aesthetically pleasing and balanced quite well. I'd love to get 1 or 2 but the lock failure issue so far has scared me away from them.

In August of '03, I bought a new 8 3/8" .500 mag. On the 4th shot, it locked up and wouldn't cock, nor would the cylinder open. The lock flag was down, indicating it wasn't locked. I tried the key in the lock and it wouldn't turn either direction. So I emailed S&W, and the next day, Herb Belin, S&W'S handgun product manager, called me and asked some questions. He wanted the revolver sent in, of course. I told him it still had one loaded round in the cylinder, and I could probably get the bullet & powder out, but not the primer. He was very much against that idea, naturally, and said he had a field rep in Denver he would have drive to my house the next afternoon and personally take possession of it - a round trip of some 25 hours and 1600 miles. Sure enough, the next afternoon, the rep showed up (Dan Roden... Roder...?), gave me a receipt and left with the revolver. Eleven days later, a brand new one was shipped to my doorstep, and Mr. Belin followed up with me a few days later, mentioning it was the only factory documented failure of the new lock system, up to that time anyway.

I have shot a lot of matches with my 627 (was purchased new); the gun has almost 15k rounds on it now. 

When I first bought it I wondered/worried about the safety thingy ... AND ... when I heard about someone selling plug kits (on the S&W forum) I jumped on it.

The plug laid on my desk for ages and eventually the guy sent me another one (unsolicited).

It took me a while to figure out why he sent a second (the choices were stainless or black) but it turned out one was "shiny" stainless and the other "brushed". 

I never had any problem with the safety ... never put the plug in and have never heard anyone at a match or on the Enos forum mention having a problem or being so shocked at the cosmetics they couldn't stand it.

The year before last I actually saw the guy selling the plugs at the ICORE state championship here in Arizona.

I found the website (he didn't have a website when I bought mine ... it was all email .. word of mouth transactions). 

Sooooooooooo ... here is the website (you probably already found it) ... I haven't read Abilene Slim's post yet ... my apologies for any duplicate info ... 

https://www.originalprecision.com/reviews-and-pictures.html

709390675_627safety.jpg.8ce4552e65a414a5829805c89eaf48c6.jpg

Archived