SASS Wire Forum

Help with a new outfit

Moe T Vator

Howdy All,

In reading the handbook I realized that my costumes have "outlawed items" so I need to correct myself.

In the search for period correct outfits I am in need of a few things.

pants 32'' waist X 32-34'' leg

shirt / vest 40'' chest 46'' shoulders (usually medium)

hat 7-1/4 -7 1/2

boots 9 - 9 1/2 regular

boot knife

Thanks in advance!

R,

MTV

If it were me, I'd get the boots and hat first and worry about the rest later. Wear jeans and a long sleeve shirt until you find something that you like. I dislike button down collars despite their having been made in 1896. I won't even buy them for Hubby in modern street wear.

I've bought many boots on Ebay. Just beware, the reason folks may be selling them are that they are too tight. Or, so has been my experience.

Buy a good hat that you can try on. If you ever go to Vegas, check out D Bar J. :wub: 

I am a self admitted cowboy clothes Junkie.  I have always enjoyed the dressing up aspect of our sport and disagree slightly with the order of acquiring clothing. Like others have said your hat is one of the most important items, in a lot of ways it defines you. You will probably only have one or two hats in your entire wardrobe. Because the price of a good hat is so expensive I would find a cheap hat until you find the perfect one.  I would start by figure out who your Alias is, what does do.  Cowboys in general wore what ever they had or could find.  Some of my best looking outfits don’t match on purpose.   Boots are a bit tough too because as some mentioned they have to comfortable all day.  If I had to start over I would find a good pair of Lacers or Ropers to start with. Something that will serve me on the range or out on the town.  You can get into the more period boots as your develop you caracter.  There are so many options for dressing on the cheap but Still looking cowboy.  For a very basic outfit a pair of colored jeans and a long sleeve work shirt fits the bill.  Go to a couple second hand stores.  Look for banded collared shirts that look cowboy.  Even a regular collard shirt looks great with the right material. I have found so many usable items at second hand stores you wouldn’t believe it.  If you or your wife is handy with a sewing machine its even easier.  Check out the vendors both at matches and online.  Sometimes there are great deals on close outs and seconds.  eBay is an awesome place to look too.    

Here is a complete outfit from the good will store.   Shirt.  $ 3.00.   Used green levi’s $ 5.00.  Wool sport jacket cut down and accessorized $ 15.00 plus another $ 20.00 in conchos, trim  and 4 hours time.   Use your imagination there is a lot you can do for very little cash

92214BE7-6ABB-4B6A-B9F3-C626B0D5C9A6.jpeg

5F4BBD1C-2A46-479C-B6AB-D75619B8B68E.jpeg

EC3EB0F1-A788-4D13-8CA0-C6E1B58D191E.jpeg

MO T, your outfits look okay to me. I don’t think anybody is going to call you on the way you dress. Period correct is not a requirement. If your going to the Cowboys match up at Norco on Sunday stop by and we’ll visit about it. 

your a bit to tall for any of my stuff but i could loan you high water pants and a shirt , i suggest you contact one of the many that make very fine clothing for this sport that advertise here and at the shoots you attend , im fond of annie - leather originals , clear lake wisconsin , leatherandlogs@chilbardun.net , she does fine work for the cowboys and cowgirls in this area of the country 

if i ered in posting my favored seamstress here i hope that it is not held against her - please censor me 

When dressing up/down for cowboy I wore clothes for three categories and I considered two of which to be my interpretation of real cowboy and that is worth the cost of what you are paying here.  First and most often was the look/feel of an old Comanchero that was left over from the CW era bushwhackers.  Old, mismatched and bummy parts from genuine CW era uniforms /clothing fit the bill best.  My most desired costume was never fully acquired and this was partially due to my refusing to spend the big bucks on 'the perfect working 'Mexican vaquero' outfit.  Those clothes that I always dreamed of, have actually disappeared from my computers memory AND I never even lost the weight that would have made it worth spending that kind of big bucks!  Last but not least was my just make it do costume, a pair of jeans, a no-sweat-um pull over shirt, a pair of work boots and a comfortable western style hat, frequently straw.  As for those who show up in shorts, ball caps and Ts, they are breaking every rule that resembles appropriate summer wear, ask any real Dermatologist about all of the exposed skin in the summer time!  If you really want a great low cost summer costume look at some of the Halloween costumes (prisoner stripes are popular) and these are extremely light/cool while giving a bit of skin protection.  I even saw a dude wearing pajamas one time and they looked perfect for something the spaghetti westerns depicted as Mexican peasant costumes and very light weight!         

On 3/22/2019 at 6:33 PM, Chili Pepper Pete 11917 said:

You will probably only have one or two hats in your entire wardrobe. 

As if!

Looking for #14 at the moment.  I had about 20 a few years ago, sold a bunch, now rebuilding the inventory!    Nothing changes an outfit more than putting on a different hat.

I can't be the only hat freak in SASS.

9 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

I have several hats, but only wear one. It is how I am known and I like it. 

Imis

It's true. As soon as we pull in the driveway last Saturday, Mustang Lewis proclaimed "There's IMIS!"

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 1:41 PM, Moe T Vator said:

Howdy All,

In reading the handbook I realized that my costumes have "outlawed items" so I need to correct myself.

In the search for period correct outfits I am in need of a few things.

I agree that your profile pic looks like you'd pass muster at any SASS event, but if you're looking for more 19th century "real west" vs "reel west" clothing, I propose two choices: contact a maker who specializes in period correct clothing (expensive), or buy some old used suits or suit parts at the thrift shop (much less expensive).  Look at old photos of the 19th century, and you'll see what appears to be pieces and parts of suits worn by nearly every class, in various states of repair.  The photo of the Daltons after Coffeyville - they all appear to be wearing what we view today as dress slacks!  Wool pants, vests and coats were much more prevalent in the Old West than the canvas we predominately wear today. 

Fortuitously, you can pick up a three-piece suit at the thrift shop for around $5-10.  With a few minor modifications (or extreme ones, as Chili Pepper Pete has done B)), you can turn that suit into a decent facsimile of an old sack suit.  Find an old shirt (preferably pullover with button up placket) and you've got your outfit.  When it's warm, just wear the shirt, pants and vest, when it's cooler, wear it all.  Good suggestions for boots already mentioned, and old motorcycle harness boots with the harness cut off strongly resemble the old Civil War "artillery boot".  As for hats, there are as many makers in as many prices as you can dream, or you can buy an old hat from the thrift shop or flea bay, and reshape it to your taste.   Now, this may not pass the "stitch Nazi" test, but most folks aren't worried about that anyway.  From five feet away or so, you'll look dead-ringer authentic. 

One sidenote about wool: if it's the right weight and weave, it's cooler than the canvas duck pants on a hot day.  I shot in the summer for years in my canvas jean trousers, but after going to a pair of wool ones . . . night and day difference! 

Keep your powder dry,

Wild Ben

howdy all,

thanks for all the feedback. Now to rephrase the intent. I am looking for the items in the post so that I can start building a better costume. I realize  I should have phrased my post differently. No one has given me any negative flac about what I have shot in thus far.

The SASS convention in Las Vegas used to be a fun source of ideas and resources for cowboy costuming. In the absence of that I’m forced to shamelessly steal ideas from other pards I see at shoots and try to interpret them in a way that respectfully makes them my own. The best advice is to git yerself to some large events where there are many vendors. Bring cash. Cowboy shopping is addictive and fun.

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:41 AM, Lead Friend, SASS #53635 said:

Cowboy shopping is addictive and fun.

It definitely can help a fella lighten his wallet!

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoy the history and legend of the old west.  The costuming angle to CAS is probably the only thing that got me to shift from IDPA and 3-Gun to CAS.   That being said - some of the costume rules really strike me as odd or even arbitrary especially in the B-Western category.   While B-Western costumes may "depict leading role characters in B-Western movies" it seems odd to me that the SASS would specifically "outlaw" John Wayne, spaghetti western, and townsperson characters. 

I cant understand how "The Ringo Kid" or "Rooster Cogburn" would be unacceptable characters for a B-Western costume.  I also can't wrap my head around the idea that "The Man with No Name" comes up short as an acceptable B-Western costume.  Every townsperson character you could imagine played a huge role in B-Western movie history - the banker, the gambler, the saloon girl, the bar keeper - you can't have a B-Western movie without a cast of random townies.

Admittedly, it would get pretty boring if everyone shooting B-Western showed up wearing the same wool poncho - or everyone showed up with an eye-patch - it just seems odd that two of the biggest western movie actors aren't worthy of B-Western costume status.   The dress code seems more slanted to guitar slinging movie cowboy than gun slinging movie cowboy. 

...but I reckon if someone wants to dress up like 'Blondie' they can shoot in an age based category all day long.

You seem to have the basics to get started, but when it comes time to spend more money on the duds, there are several great vendors affiliated with SASS.

I got most of my stuff at Wild West Mercantile. Got lucky and walked into the shop when Boulet Shooters Boots were on sale (score!!). They always have something on sale. Got one of my Stetsons at FM Light & Sons in Colorado. They have been in business for over 100 years and a Stetson expert in the shop fit it for me. 

Get a good hat and get boots that fit right and feel good. Buy them in person where you can try them on and have them fitted if necessary. You’ll need both ends to be comfortable for a long day on the range. 

Howdy Chuck

17 hours ago, Chuck Steak said:

I also can't wrap my head around the idea that "The Man with No Name" comes up short as an acceptable B-Western costume.

Unfortunately, he wears his revolver too high on the belt... :D

And a bit more serious: The category is called "B-Western" and not just "Western"  ;)

Though I cannot exactly give a definition what a B-Western is, I definetly wouldn't consider any Italo-Western (Leone, Corbucci etc.) a B-Western. For me a B-Western is where the "good guys" wear flawless white hats, have perfectly shaved and fresh faces despite the fact they were riding through the desert for days and wear neat shirts, or as it is written in the SHB "all coustumes are expected to be fancy and flashy"! It's sort of the opposite of reenacting, a made-up fantasy world created by filmmakers. I wouldn't claim that Italo-Westerns are more realistic than B-Westerns; they both have just a complete different deviation from the reality and wouldn't chime together on the same stage (besides in a kind of weird cross-over... :wacko:)

Disclaimer: Neither I am actually shooting nor I am interested in shooting in the category of B-Western :blush:

Equanimous

Archived