SASS Wire Forum

Matches on Friday

Marshal Hangtree

Why are many of the big matches, like the upcoming Florida State Championships, scheduled for Friday and Saturday, instead of Saturday and Sunday.  I can travel several hours to make it to regional matches, but I can't take off on Fridays.  I may be able to drive down on Saturday and watch, but since the first stages start on Friday, I'm out of luck when it comes to shooting the match.

I know that driving down on Thursday, then shooting Friday and Saturday is no big deal to folks that are retired.  But those of us who still work 40-60 hours a week can't make those days of the week.  Am I the only one that sees this as a problem/inconvenience?

Perhaps attendance at the larger matches may improve if they didn't start on Friday.

Just curious on y'all's thoughts.

This year He'll On Wheels will be a Friday-Saturday main match. Gives the host club extra time to clean up everything after the match. And the score keepers aren't as pressured to get scores completed. 

If enough shooters want to shoot through, they can shoot all 12 stages on Saturday. We also have many shooters coming up from EOT and they want to get home after being away from home after 3-4 weeks on the road. I have to manage my vacation in order to host a match, it's no different than traveling. 

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

What Phantom said.

I've probably  got 15 more years of 40-45 hours a week. Never had any trouble taking off on a Friday; guess I'm lucky. 

40-45 a week in IT!?!

Dagnabbit things have changed.

I used to work 40 hours a DAY!

You probably don't even carry a beeper.

:lol:

DAGGONE WHIPPER SNAPPERS!

Waimea

Just now, Waimea said:

40-45 in IT!

Dagnabbit things have changed.

I used to work 40 hours a DAY!

You probably don't even carry a beeper.

:lol:

DAGGONE WHIPPER SNAPPERS!

Waimea

Oh, I put in my fair share of 60-72 hour weeks...

I've also quit 2 programming  jobs that required on call and overtime. Now I'm back at the first one I quit for those reasons; boss man finally got the higher ups to understand ;)

There are quite a few multi day matches out west here that don’t shoot on Sunday. Many start on Thursday for side matches and end with the awards banquet Saturday night and folks head home on Sunday or are able to attend church. 

Archived