SASS Wire Forum

Am I the only one?

Boomstick Bruce

Who else has left and right pistols? Even though when firing I can't tell the difference between each of my pistols, I still have left side and right side guns. Always left gun in left holster, right gun in right holster. Also, I shoot one handed and draw the left first.

Anyone else do this or am I just weird?

I swapped the escutcheons on one grip so the screw heads both face out .....:wacko:  :D

I also have left and right revolvers. Different emblems on grips. Can’t tell any difference between the two. Does help when cleaning. Keeps the cylinders in the right gun. Draw different one first at times. Just what I do. And I’m not OCD

I had a "perceived" malfunction with one of my Rugers.  It went away and when I asked my smith to check it out,  I could not tell him which revolver it was - even though I knew it was my left.

Since then I have always put the lower serial # left and higher right.  I also load and shoot left first, right second.  I think I'm marginally OCD :)

Sheriff Langston.

I can pick up my Uberti revolvers, blindfolded, and can tell you which one is right and which one is left. There is a slight variation in the grips that I can tell, even though these were a 'matched pair' with the R-L serial numbers.  I started shooting them with the R number in the right and the L number in the left and it just stuck.

My Rugers are consecutive serial numbers. I cannot tell the difference in feel between the guns. However, 5 goes in the left, 6 goes in the right.  On reason I keep doing it is, if I have an issue with a gun on the firing line I only have to remember which hand had the problem. If I always shoot the same gun with the same hand, I don't have a problem remembering.

I shoot FCGF and try to keep my hands pretty close together the entire shooting string - if I can. The inside edges of my pistols are always filthy from the side blast coming out of the other pistol. Keeping them Left and right means I do not have to clean the outside edges of my pistols because they don't get dirty. And, I always keep the same unloaded chamber throughout the match. Again - so I don't have to clean that 6th chamber! :P

Of course, I also line up my shotshells in my belt the same direction so I can read the writing on them. That is part of my mental prep when getting ready for the stage and not indicative of any other problem.

As a "Gunfighter" yes, I have a left and right gun if for nothing else to know which one gave me trouble if trouble with the gun arises. But I do custom fit my left gun to my left hand and right to right hand. Some pistols have sharp edges on the trigger guard for example and I will knock that edge off for that gun for that hand. I don't have to make the edge go away for both hands. Like I said it is really to know what gun has a hiccup or problem, I will know by what hand it was in.

I draw the left pistol first, with the left hand.   Then I draw the right, with the right hand.   Shoot both of them one handed.

My father's 3rd Gen 4-3/4" SAA always goes in the left holster, no matter what goes in the right. 

If I am not shooting Dad's Colt, then depending on what pair of pistols I am using, then it greatly depends.   If I am using the Buntline, it always goes left.  If both Sheriff's models, the nickel goes left, the blue right.  But if I am shooting the sheriff with the buntline, it goes right, regardless of finish.   Beyond that, it comes down to which of the two pistols do I like more.   The one in the pair that is preferred gets the left.  For example, at the upcoming Tri-State shoot, I plan on Dad's Colt for the left and my "Reconstruction of old Fort Des Moines" commemorative, a gun with a gold finish, will go on the right.   But if I was shooting the gold Colt with anything else, it would go in the left.

I hope this is remarkably confusing to all.

Hi my Name is Bubba, and I am Weird also! :D

My Vaquero's are consecutive, the one that ends in 3 goes on the left and the 4 goes on the right... don't know why... just makes my OCD feel better... :blink:

Well, as my left-side pistol is a 5-1/2" OM Ruger Vaquero, and the right one is a7-1/2", I don't tend to get them mixed up.  I shoot Duelist and tend to shoot both guns with my right hand, though I will occasionally will shoot the left-hand gun with my left hand.

4 minutes ago, Buckaroo Bubba said:

Hi my Name is Bubba, and I am Weird also! :D

"Hi, Bubba. . . "

Yep, I do that same thing, fellas.  Well, sort of.  Like H.K, I have a special pistol: an old ASM 1860 Army my grandfather gave me when I was twelve.  It's my main match revolver and always goes in the right hand.  The left usually draws another 1860 and occasionally an 1851 Navy.  But that 'ol ASM, boy - it's the final act of pistol targets!  Probably my most accurate cap 'n ball as well.

Keep your powder dry (and guns in order),

Wild Ben

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362
1 hour ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

Who else has left and right pistols? Even though when firing I can't tell the difference between each of my pistols, I still have left side and right side guns. Always left gun in left holster, right gun in right holster. Also, I shoot one handed and draw the left first.

Anyone else do this or am I just weird?

You are not alone ,I do the same . But, you may be still weird. ;) :FlagAm:

I know lots of folks who do it that way.

I am not one of them.  They go in holsters by which I pick up first with no thought as to one vs the other.    And which I draw first depends on the stage and transitions.

Bruce its OK to be weird .

I have been weird my whole life lol

Screenshot_2017-06-14-22-48-15.thumb.jpg.66877d70f576c227fc05193acfc4578b.jpg

Not only do I have left and right .... 

I have engraved their names on the back straps.

Praise is on the right and Glory is on the left, when I use my backups (also 5 1/2 Rugers) Truth is right and Light is left

rifles and shotguns also have names and are matched up to specific pistols 

regards

Gateway Kid

11 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Not only do I have left and right .... 

I have engraved their names on the back straps.

Praise is on the right and Glory is on the left, when I use my backups (also 5 1/2 Rugers) Truth is right and Light is left

rifles and shotguns also have names and are matched up to specific pistols 

regards

Gateway Kid

Ok I REALLY like that. No engraving on mine, but for a while I referred to my main pair of revolvers as “Fire and Brimstone”.

Yes, it is weird...don't let the fact that others do it convince you otherwise.

Phantom

PS: For those that are looking for some odd and nefarious motive behind my post, there isn't any...humor is like an opinion.

I have slightly thicker palm side grip spacers so yes, I have a right and left but 7 is right, 8 is left

5 hours ago, Wyatt said:

Six sets of consecutive serial numbers. The odd serial number, which is the lower, always goes in my right hand.

Yes I am strange!

Nope. I'm a lefty. 89 in the left, 90 in the right.

Left one has darker wood handle than right. Right one misses more than left one even though I shoot both with left hand.

I had a really hard time telling my main match guns apart. They weighed the same, had the same dimensions. Yet I always shoot the same one in my left hand and the other in my right. It came down to the grips. Turns out the nickel colt has ivory grips and the cch colt has walnut grips. Finally a way to tell them apart. Now I’m going outside to measure my horses so I can tell them apart. I’ll start with the white one since it’s six inches taller than the black one. 

Archived