SASS Wire Forum

A bad day... Update: 04/29/2019

Tempting from an emotional standpoint, but ultimately a waste of time and money.  Unless the boss caused the fire intentionally or negligently, he probably has no liability for property belonging to others.  And a lawsuit cannot force him to accept a moral responsibility.

Your son is a class act; give the notice and move on.

LL

I would at the very least take him to Small Claims Court for the maximum allowable. In CA that’s $10,000 for an individual or $5000 for a business. Your son is an individual. $75 and no attorneys fees and 2-3 hours in evening court. Better than nothing.

4 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Well... I'll make this short: 

The owner told the guys he would need all his insurance settlement funds to cover his own losses and buy new equipment; "sorry, fellas."

A few days ago he was overheard telling one of his vendors that he "had never told his employees to bring their own tools, so it's on them!"  [He did not provide proper tools.]

Sassparilla Kid is a loyal sort with a strong work ethic.  He has worked for the man for two years, usually six days a week (sometimes seven), and during harvest season as much as 20 hours a day, using his own tools and his own truck for off-site assignments.  And no "benefits."  

He's giving the boss one week notice this morning, and starts his new job next Monday - at 38% higher pay, weekends off, plus benefits, and a company vehicle.  

Gave him more notice than I would have.  After being treated that way I'd take everything that was mine, including anything that had even a small scrap value, drop the keys on the ground and drive away.

Arrgh! Expletives deleted. He will meet Lady Karma one day.

He reminds me of a well known "restorer"  Hubby worked for. He did sub-standard work and overcharged. He liked to make Hubby give the bill to customers.

Hubby didn't last long working for him. When Hubby quit, the "restorer's" son quit too. I wonder how the kid is doing now. This was in the early '80s.

Your son is a class act, HPC.  Looks like he took after his father.  Bless him for taking the high road and walking away from a bad situation. 

Best wishes in his new position.

5 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

A few days ago he was overheard telling one of his vendors that he "had never told his employees to bring their own tools, so it's on them!"  [He did not provide proper tools.]

He may have never told them to bring their own tools, but I bet he strongly hinted that they should do it.  And would have complained at them if they hadn't.  

5 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

He's giving the boss one week notice this morning, and starts his new job next Monday - at 38% higher pay, weekends off, plus benefits, and a company vehicle.  

Sounds as if things are for the better.  You can bet that when word gets around about how the guy treated people he will have trouble finding a replacement.

On March 20, 2019 at 5:51 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I'm wondering if it's possible to salvage that lathe...  thinking.gif

It was a really sweet old LeBlond.  Here's a "Before" shot:  :mellow:

1494031681_ShopFireLathe1.thumb.jpg.b7bc3231ec1c95410e4ae895e8c684ac.jpg

If the motor on that lathe isn't ruined, the electric controls are simple and it's doubtful that the fire was hot enough to damage much else.  It would take a lot of cleaning and probably all of the seals would need replacing, but it should come back to life again with some TLC!!

I wouldn't leave anything behind.

The kind of person that "Boss" is, he'll likely try to claim they were his, on the insurance claim.

That or charge back for cleaning up and dumping things. 

Archived