SASS Wire Forum

Finding out about service record of Colt SAA?

Deuce Stevens SASS#55996

I have a Colt SAA that is known as an artillery model. I came with and interesting story from the previous owner. I have had it lettered by Colt and all they really did was confirm that it was indeed at one time a service revolver. Does anyone know of anybody that tracks down the service records of Colts. I was given the name of the man who apparently carried it in the Spanish American War. I don't mind paying for the service either if it is authentic and reputable source. Thank you for any help on the subject or experience shared. 

Howdy Deuce, IMHO, one of the best sources for info on how to research provenance on a firearm is John Gangel at Little Johns gun auctions. He may even be able to tell you quite a bit about the gun based on his knowledge of Colt firearms, might be worth a try. 

Try John A. Kopec. I have two artillery models with letters from him. The amount of detail he includes is truly amazing. Much more information than the Colt letter. He co-authored the definitive book on Colt SAA.

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

Colt service? I do not think Sam Colt ever served in the service.:rolleyes: Although he did invent waterproof cable and the first remote controlled explosive.:FlagAm:

1 hour ago, Snake-eye, SASS#45097 said:

Try John A. Kopec. I have two artillery models with letters from him. The amount of detail he includes is truly amazing. Much more information than the Colt letter. He co-authored the definitive book on Colt SAA.

Spoke to him this afternoon, I am going to go with him for the authentication. 

2 hours ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

Spoke to him this afternoon, I am going to go with him for the authentication. 

Good deal. that's who I would go with as well. Nobody knows more about that era of Colt's. Please relate whatever information you come by. I love hearing these stories.

You could also post it on the Colt forums to get comments from the experts there.

Kopec is the main guy for an SAA as he specializes in them.  But US Martial Arms might also have some information.  They used to be called Springfield Research Service.  They specialize in US military arms.  You pay the guy for an annual subscription to his newsletter, and he'll do a search for your SN.  If he has information, he can write you a letter for something like $50.  His information comes from the national archives, where he and his predecessor have spent untold thousands of hours looking up armory and unit records.  I've had him check at least half a dozen guns for me, and so far there were no hits.  In one case he had hits for the 2 guns on either side of mine, but he won't write a letter unless it's an exact match.  In another, he told me that information on my gun was "not being released" by the government. 

When you get the letter, please post it.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived