SASS Wire Forum

Hello from a new member in VA

Marshal El Malo

Howdy ladies and gents!  Long time lurker on the forum and have been following the sport for about 10 years.  Finally in a financial and "free time" situation to where I can jump in.  I have been shooting single action Rugers for many years now and lever action rifles.  

I currently own a Marlin 1894 in 45, many Rugers in 45 (and 22, and a 327 thrown in there for good measure) as well as a Stoeger coach gun in 12.

I did go ahead and order the SASS Vaqueros in 45 which should be here next week (Christmas in March!).

That being said, a few questions.  How long between registration with SASS and receiving your number?

When signing up, they asked for three aliases.  Will they pick one of the three, or ask me to pick?

Looking forward to watching a few matches in Virginia (already reached out to the Pungo Posse) and getting started.

Welcome to the cowboy party. It might take a couple weeks with the registration but don't worry about that. Most clubs let you shoot without being a SASS member. And in fact, I think all clubs let you shoot and welcome new shooters with open arms. At least they should. Get your feet wet and then become a SASS member and enjoy all of the luxurious privileges afforded such.

I'm originally from Lynchburg. Haven't been back to Virginia in quite a while. Almost 5 decades in fact. I hope everything is well there. And glad to hear cowboy shooting is a thing in Virginia. I'm in the Midwest now and will probably only migrate farther West stopping just short of the left coast at some point.

The Marlin and the Rugers will serve you well. The 45 Colt is a great caliber. You will learn more about caliber differences as you go but I started with 45 Colt and I have never seen a need or reason to change. Lots of us feel the same way. If you keep those Rugers they will probably serve your grand children well as well. I still have my 1st Marlin and my 1st pair of Rugers. They have a special place in my cowboy history. 

Lots of good and useful information here on the wire. And again, welcome and enjoy being a modern Old West cowboy.

I believe they pick your first choice if it's not already in use, then your second, etc.  You don't need a number to shoot at local monthly matches so you don't have to wait to join the fun. 

I shoot at most of the central Virginia clubs, and get down to Pungo several times a year.  It's 105 miles from my house, but always worth the trip!  There are three other very active clubs between you and Richmond at West Point, Mechanicsville, and Montpelier(near Oilville not James Madison's estate in Orange Co.).  Of those, West Point is closest to you, of course. I shoot there frequently.  

Sounds like you are pretty much set up from a hardware standpoint. Try to visit a shoot before you make any more decisions--sounds like you might still need leather. Ask around when you get there for preferred rigs and makers. 

Hello Mr. SRSTAdams21

Welcome to SASS World. You have already been in touch with Pungo. The Pungo Posse and the Mattaponi Sundowners in West Point  are your two closest clubs and both of these clubs shoot two matches each a month. I am the Territorial Governor for both clubs. The Mattaponi Sundowners have a match this Saturday so come check it out. I've never heard of the three alias thing but Ripsaw's reply as I typed this sounds correct. If at any time you need any information you can contact me at www.majorbswalker@gmail.com

Once again" welcome"

SRSTAdam21: Welcome aboard  to some fun feeling great cowboy action and meet up with lots of grrrreat folks.

Good shooting, take care , have fun.

Jackrabbit Joe #414

1 hour ago, Major B. S. Walker said:

Hello Mr. SRSTAdams21

Welcome to SASS World. You have already been in touch with Pungo. The Pungo Posse and the Mattaponi Sundowners in West Point  are your two closest clubs and both of these clubs shoot two matches each a month. I am the Territorial Governor for both clubs. The Mattaponi Sundowners have a match this Saturday so come check it out. I've never heard of the three alias thing but Ripsaw's reply as I typed this sounds correct. If at any time you need any information you can contact me at www.majorbswalker@gmail.com

Once again" welcome"

Leave off the www when you email BS. 

And I remember submitting three choices of alias, they took my first. You can run a check on a proposed alias and there is a page that will tell you if it's already taken. IIRC.  

Welcome to the dance .

The best advice I can git to a new Cowboy or Gal is .

1 Safety first .

2. Only compete with yourself .

3. Have fun .

Rooster 

Welcome to the game!!! Have a Blast!!! :lol:

image.png.84484a5319d60a67adec2aa4b7276b1f.png

Welcome SRSTAdams21 , to the best game and folks goin. When I signed up for SASS and a couple others that I've signed up, I called the office and they OK'd the alias over the phone. The member package came within a few days.

Hang on for the addiction.

5a2a989e95497_SASSWelcome.JPG.ed5045d9abb98d8837093843c187d2e5.JPG

Awesome thanks for the input everyone.  Received an email with my Alias and SASS# this morning.  How would I go about getting my username here changed to my alias?

EDIT: Amber was ON IT!

Many thanks.

12 hours ago, Major B. S. Walker said:

Hello Mr. SRSTAdams21

Once again" welcome"

Major, I will be reaching out to you for sure!  Bear Tooth Les has been super helpful so far.  I intended to make last weekend at West Point but my business trip out of town was extended a bit.   Will shoot you an email later today!

Welcome to the family Marshal El Malo. I just shot with the Mataponi Sundowners this past weekend and I guarantee it wont be the last time. They hold a top notch event with very friendly people. I'm sure if you need the help they will be glad to give it to you. If you ever make it up towards Lynchburg or Roanoke we hold a shoot at Bedford on the first Sunday of the month and at Roanoke the fourth Sunday and would love to see you there.

Archived