SASS Wire Forum

Loading 32SW

Hoss

Figured I better check my stock of pocket pistol ammo for the upcoming spring shooting season. 

Loading 32SW, I have a high dollar 32SW case gauge. If they fits, they ships!

now if I could only find my 38SW shell holder! My bench looks like a tornado disaster area! 

EAA35276-08B0-4FB6-914C-08BD2B1E9B12.jpeg

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

Figured I better check my stock of pocket pistol ammo for the upcoming spring shooting season. 

Loading 32SW, I have a high dollar 32SW case gauge. If they fits, they ships!

now if I could only find my 38SW shell holder! My bench looks like a tornado disaster area! 

EAA35276-08B0-4FB6-914C-08BD2B1E9B12.jpeg

Hey Hoss, my pocket pistols are 38sw. All I have used is factory ammo. That gets expensive! Do you use 38 special dies to reload or 38s&w? I apologize now if thats a dumb question.

10 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Hey Hoss, my pocket pistols are 38sw. All I have used is factory ammo. That gets expensive! Do you use 38 special dies to reload or 38s&w? I apologize now if thats a dumb question.

I use the 38 SW lee dies, tried 38 short colt with no luck.

2 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

38SW Lee Dies. I use APP powder, bullet set to just touch powder. I do cheat a little and use 105 grain 38Sp Bullets. .357 vs .361. They may rattle a bit going down the barrel, but at PP distances accuracy isn’t really an issue.  

I woukd really avoid using smokeless powder in these old pustols. Most pre-1900 really aren’t made for it. 

I also use the .38 S&W Lee dies.   .38 Short Colt, which I also reload, is a totally different animal.    I have several loads for the little cartridge, some with a 158 grain .360" bullet that I got from betterbullets.com, and some with a 150 grain .358" hollow base bullet I got from Buffalo Arms.   Both bullets give me good accuracy, and the smokeless loads only go into newer guns that I know are made to handle them.

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Why are the primers in the rnds inserted in the cyl mangled?

I load .32 S&W on my D/550.

OP-What press?

OLG

I noticed that too. Using a Lee classic press. I finally had one get stuck in the primer cup and would not come out. I wet it down with oil and then pried it out with pliers. The cup was filled with crud. I cleaned it out and much mo betta now. I guess it just got something in it from sitting on my bench. I probably have not loaded small pistol with that press for several months. I guess I need to keep a closer eye on it. 

4 hours ago, Hoss said:

I noticed that too. Using a Lee classic press. I finally had one get stuck in the primer cup and would not come out. I wet it down with oil and then pried it out with pliers. The cup was filled with crud. I cleaned it out and much mo betta now. I guess it just got something in it from sitting on my bench. I probably have not loaded small pistol with that press for several months. I guess I need to keep a closer eye on it. 

Store it in a zip-loc bag. ;)

OLG

Archived