SASS Wire Forum

LOOSE AND LOSE

Bull Skinner

The misuse of these two is beginning to bug me. So excuse my grammar lesson. 

Here is an example of their proper use: If you lose your mind you are said to have a screw loose.  While I'm at it. It's Oops not Opps.

There, now that I got that off my chest I feel better!

7 minutes ago, Bull Skinner said:

Tyrel ,  I can't help it. It's the result of being married to a school teacher for 49 years! :lol:

I agree with you pardo, didn't you catch my misuse of too and your?

Well, having a name that folks tend to misspell the first name as often as the last name, Yule Loose, Yool Luz, etc.. I kinda know what you’re talking about. IMHO, folks tend to mispronounce my name in an effort to agitate me, I’m not easily agitated.

And some folks enjoy dining out... not dinning out.  

Not to mention that we tend to see "alot" used a lot.  :rolleyes:

Don’t get me started. I’ve been called a spelling and grammar Nazi on the Internet more than once.;)

One of my favorite "God I hate that" words is alright.

There is no such word. Like irregardless, it does not exist. The correct term is all right.

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

This is the SASS Wire...take this somewhere else.

Just my suggestion...

Phantom

This is the Saloon.  Maybe you need to go somewhere else.

Just my suggestion.

Forty Rod

PS: are we still friends? :D

English ain't all that difficult...

:huh:

6 hours ago, Alpo said:

One of my favorite "God I hate that" words is alright.

There is no such word. Like irregardless, it does not exist. The correct term is all right.

all right or alright?: Usage Guide

Although the spelling alright is nearly as old as all right, some critics have insisted alright is all wrong. Nevertheless it has its defenders and its users, who perhaps have been influenced by analogy with altogether and already. It is less frequent than all right but remains common especially in informal writing. It is quite common in fictional dialogue and is sometimes found in more formal writing.  the first two years of medical school were alright  — Gertrude Stein

Btw, I don’t feel right if I don’t cringe about something a few times a day but this is not one of them.

7 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Just my suggestion.

Forty Rod

As much as some enjoy seeing you tell him that, to be fair, this post was originally  on the SASS Wire and was moved to the Saloon.

Alright or All Right.

When I was in high school I wrote a story and used the word “alright”. My English teacher chastised me for it. She said “alright” is not a proper word. I went on a mission and wrote a report regarding the history and use of “alright” vs “all right”. I proved to her that “alright” is all right and that it in fact a proper word (what ever a “proper word” is). 

I do know that some folks still think that the word “alright” should not be used. I use it in informal settings, like here, but when writing policies, procedures and formal documents at work I use “all right”, alright? ;)

10 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Just my suggestion.

Forty Rod

Yeah.

But guess where this was originally posted?

Sometimes folks need to not assume the worse in people.

Phantom

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Yeah.

But guess where this was originally posted?

Sometimes folks need to not assume the worse in people.

Phantom

Just found that out.  I apologize, but if I can't be grumpy and assume the worst I'll be out of affordable hobbies. :rolleyes:

If I start a thread, on the eire or in the classifieds, and some self-appointed forum guardian doesn't like it there, posting, "THIS DOESN'T BELONG HERE. MOVE IT" does no good. I don't have the ability to move the post once I've made it.

Instead, try clicking on the little flag in the top right corner. Report the post that is in the wrong forum to the moderators. They are the ones that can move it.

5 hours ago, Alpo said:

If I start a thread, on the eire or in the classifieds, 

Why would you post in Ireland? And how do you do that anyway? Was that just for St Paddy’s day? :lol::lol::lol:

29 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Why would you post in Ireland? 

I was over there stocking up on The Tyrconnell.

Did you leave the period off the abbreviation for saint because that's how they do it over there?

19 hours ago, Bull Skinner said:

The misuse of these two is beginning to bug me. So excuse my grammar lesson. 

Here is an example of their proper use: If you lose your mind you are said to have a screw loose.  While I'm at it. It's Oops not Opps.

There, now that I got that off my chest I feel better!

But you use ain’t

My pet peeve is when someone says "I could care less...". It's supposed to be "I COULDN'T care less".  When you say the former you're saying that yes, you could care even less than you currently do. I can understand the occasional grammatical boo-boo, but so many people these days seem to have absolutely no grasp of the English language that you wonder what teachers are actually doing with their students these days. It's even more frustrating when you realize that learning the correct spelling or way to say something is as simple as doing a quick Google search.

Years ago one of the best two-way radio technicians that I ever knew would turn in job tickets with the worst handwriting and spelling that I had ever seen. The shop clerk would decipher his scrawl, as I called it and prepare a job ticket and invoice that was presentable to the customer. Sometimes instead of trying to spell it out he would draw a very intricate picture. A customers base station took a lightning hit one night and he drew a very detailed rendition of the event as he perceived it happened. I kept that picture for years because of the talent involved in drawing it, it was beautiful.

Archived