SASS Wire Forum

Don't Tick Off The Badger Boat

Subdeacon Joe

Sort of funny thing from the Middle East of today.  Some training materials were found in a mop'd up combat area.  One item was a picture of an A-10 in flight just a little ways away from the camera.  The writing under the photo translated to "Never, Ever, Shoot at one of these Planes."

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Haha...yep, it is. Funny that you picked the Virginia. I served on the ship named the USS Virginia CGN-38. Guided Missile Nuclear Powered Cruiser. It was actually a League Destroyer but Carter wanted to compete with the Russians in the numbers of Cruisers in the USN. It was designated DDGN-38 when commissioned.

The Iowa class had the most advanced fire control system when they were built. a full broad side of 16's is a lot of whoop-ass all at once. they fired armor piercing or H.E. shells depending on the target and had a range of about 20 miles.:blush:

A 152 is big.

A 16 incher is bigger.

51 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

A 152 is big.

A 16 incher is bigger.

And badder.

When I worked behind the gun counter the first time, I was dealing with an annoying customer who was trying to impress my with his claims of shooting things like the .500 S&W Mag, and .338 Lapua, etc... I don't recall the exact conversation, but he scoffed at one point and asked what the biggest gun I'd fired had been. I shrugged and said "155mm." From down the counter an older gentleman lifted his voice enough to say "I've got you beat." When I looked over and asked "You do?" He grinned and said he was a Gunner's Mate on the USS Iowa. I laughed and said "Yes Sir, you have!" The annoying customer just seemed to disappear.

Of course, the story about the Wisconsin reminded me of another, from WWII:

Johnston's first action took place three months later in the Marshall Islands where she bombarded the southern Kwajalein beaches on 1 Feb 1944, supporting the landing operations. During bombardment, gunnery officer Robert C. Hagen spotted a Japanese officer on the beach, waving a saber to instill morale as he coordinated the defenses. Hagen directed all five of Johnston's main 5-inch guns at the officer and fired, obliterating the Japanese officer. "Mr. Hagen, that was very good shooting", Evans said from the bridge. "But in the future, try not to waste so much ammunition on one individual.

https://ww2db.com/ship_spec.php?ship_id=377

Thought about this.  If the first round was “fire for effect” and it hit the Wisconsin, the next command would have been “battery/battalion/group/corps adjust!”.  The Wisconsin was just defending itselffrom possibly a rain of 6 inch shells that might have hurt somebody.

Archived