SASS Wire Forum

END of TRAIL - Volunteer as a Waddie!

Misty Moonshine

2019 boasts lots of great fun- and awesome rewards and benefits for our EOT Waddies! 

Click the link to sign up: WADDIE SIGN UP

Waddies are a crucial workforce for END of TRAIL. The success of the event as a whole hinges upon the dedication of the folks who sign up to volunteer their time as Waddies. These renowned folks play an immeasurable role in the success of END of TRAIL!

The term "Waddie" originates in the true American Old West. A Waddie is defined as: One of the words for cowboy, especially a cowboy who drifted from ranch to ranch and helped out in busy times. Just like the waddies of the Old West, END of TRAIL waddies are Cowboys who come to Founders Ranch to help out in our busiest time- END of TRAIL! In exchange for your volunteering as an END of TRAIL waddie, you'll receive your meals when working, camping, parking, and many other goodies exclusive to waddies! You'll earn a gold dollar a day as an homage to the true Old West waddies, and- earn points toward SASS membership, merchandise, Founders Ranch Range fees, and even EOT Entries! 

The END of TRAIL schedule is jam-packed with opportunities for you to help. And we need you! Whether you have just a few hours here and there, want to volunteer for a special event or task, or if you'd like to attend END of TRAIL as a Full time Waddie, we'd sure love to have you!

In addition to "a dollar a day and "found" (food)" as was traditional in the Old West, all hours spent volunteering as a Waddie qualify for the Founders Ranch Waddie Volunteer reward program. Waddies will recieve $5 Volunteer bucks for every hour volunteered- to be spent on any SASS or Founders Ranch sponsored event, merchandise, range fees, or membership. 

A special pre-event Welcome and Thank you dinner at the Ranch house hosted by the Wild Bunch will be held early in the event- as well as a post-event dinner at a local restaurant as a small sign of our thanks. 

Click the link to sign up: WADDIE SIGN UP

**This is a new signup format for 2019. Specific tasks will be assigned as needed during your shift.**

Thank you for considering being a part of END of TRAIL! 

If you have any questions about being a Waddie, please don't hesitate to contact us directly:

Angela Bellarose, Waddie Coordinator & Trail Boss - angela@sassnet.com

UncleSam-Poster-Waddies-page-001.jpg

Misty Moonshine, Event Management - misty@sassnet.com

Count me in.

Hi Misty, left you a phone message this afternoon; think it was after going home time for you.  I'd like to explore helping out at EOT. I'm a new SASS member and that would be a great way to see things up close and personal. I will be in Salt Lake City the first part of June for my daughters wedding. My wife and a friend are flying to the wedding but I'm going to drive and have a little cross-country trip. Had already considered stopping by EOT for a day or so to see all the goings-on. There is no reason that I could not spend several days helping out - IF my novice status wouldn't interfere with my doing what needs to be done. Not as spry as I was 50 years ago, but still get around pretty well. (not as well as I need to shooting CAS stages, but I plan for that to get better). May be better for us to to talk on the phone; I left my number. OO

You'd be more than welcome.  EOT is like a big family party and we're always looking for new pards.  If you're above ground and moving you'll have a great time! 

12 minutes ago, Ozark Okie said:

Hi Misty, left you a phone message this afternoon; think it was after going home time for you.  I'd like to explore helping out at EOT. I'm a new SASS member and that would be a great way to see things up close and personal. I will be in Salt Lake City the first part of June for my daughters wedding. My wife and a friend are flying to the wedding but I'm going to drive and have a little cross-country trip. Had already considered stopping by EOT for a day or so to see all the goings-on. There is no reason that I could not spend several days helping out - IF my novice status wouldn't interfere with my doing what needs to be done. Not as spry as I was 50 years ago, but still get around pretty well. (not as well as I need to shooting CAS stages, but I plan for that to get better). May be better for us to to talk on the phone; I left my number. OO

OO, I’d bet you’d be very welcome and whatever you can do would be greatly appreciated.

I'm signed up....working at least a few hours per day from 17th through 22nd.

First time, so I'm excited, expecting to see and learn a lot. 

OO

Come on folks, being a Waddie at EOT is a whole bunch of fun. Sure there’s work BUT where else will you get to rub shoulders with and visit with the greats of our game? There’s plenty of jobs that need to be done and one of the best things about being a Waddie at EOT is when you’re leaving on the last day with a big smile on your face knowing that you were a big part of making the whole event happen. Since Misty has taken the reins at SASS Waddies are really treated like part of the family and are welcome at all of the events that everyone else is invited to. On Monday before EOT really kicks off they have a very nice Waddie dinner up at the Big House and they really make you feel welcome. Tex, Judge Roy Bean, Cat Ballou, Justice Lilly Kate, Misty and all of her crew will be there and it is a special evening.

Even if you’re shooting the match there are time slots that you can work in if you want to help out. I just signed my grandson Nick The Kid up to help out wherever they need him. If you Waddie or not please stop by the front gate and say Howdy and if we haven’t met I can’t wait to meet you.

On 3/29/2019 at 11:55 AM, Ozark Okie said:

I'm signed up....working at least a few hours per day from 17th through 22nd.

First time, so I'm excited, expecting to see and learn a lot. 

OO

Thank you!! Cant wait to welcome you to END of TRAIL! 

Misty

• 1 month later...
On 5/7/2019 at 1:37 PM, Moog said:

How many waddies on average volunteer for EOT?

Angela at the SASS office might be able to help you on that one. 

On 5/7/2019 at 2:37 PM, Moog said:

How many waddies on average volunteer for EOT?

Never enough.  Even talked my wife Miss Mari into doing a bit.  She got assigned tram duty.  She's pretty game, even though she'd never pulled a trailer before.  I fixed the fence later, and they found something else for her. ;) 

Q: What duties would newbie Waddies (hubby and wife) do?
EOT is a 10-day event.

Q: Does a Waddie volunteer sign up for 10 days, or ??

Apologies on the newbie questions... trying to learn the ropes.

18 hours ago, bgavin said:

Q: What duties would newbie Waddies (hubby and wife) do?
EOT is a 10-day event.

Q: Does a Waddie volunteer sign up for 10 days, or ??

Apologies on the newbie questions... trying to learn the ropes.

Good morning- and thank you for your interest in being an EOT Waddie! 

EOT is a 10 day event- but you can sign up for whatever days/time slots you like; you don’t have to commit to the entire event... and we can always use extra hands!! 

Duties are are tailored to each Waddies’ capabilities and experience. During the event, we need help with things like making sure there’s water on all the bays, gathering garbage, driving shuttles, manning parking areas, security, helping set up areas for hospitality receptions, range maintenance, the antique shooting gallery, public greeters & ticket takers, etc. 

We are grateful for any amount of time that can be spent lending a hand to help us make EOT a success. 

In return for volunteering as a Waddie, you’ll receive the following:

1- Pre-event & Post-event “thank you” dinners hosted by the Wild Bunch

2- for each day you volunteer, you’ll receive a dollar coin (paying homage to the old west waddie tradition) and meals for the day

3- free event camping 

4- special waddie gifts and prize drawings

5- FR reward tickets: the Founders Ranch volunteer reward program is this: for each hour of your time you donate, you’ll be given a ticket. Each ticket carries the value of $10- these tickets can be redeemed for anything you want; SASS membership, merchandise, event registration (EOT!), Founders Ranch membership, range time, etc. ex: if you volunteer for 2 hours, you’ll receive $20 worth of reward tickets,  10 hours=$100, 20 hours=$200, etc. 

Whether you can help out for 2 hours or 20- we’d love to have you! 

Being an EOT Waddie is truly being part of something great! 

I hope you'll consider joining the team.

Misty Moonshine

misty@sassnet.com

Hey Misty,

I don't need any of these Waddie benefits...and of course I'm shooting and helping out on Side Match Day, but if you need any help doing anything, please let me know. 

Phantom

Archived