SASS Wire Forum

Commercial Shotgun 12 gauge Ammo

Buck Henson

I have ordered and received Winchester AA  Low Recoil in 12 gauge. The FPS is 980. I enjoy shooting it at SASS events. I was looking online to buy more but it seems to always be sold out. Does anyone out there know of a reliable provider of this ammo? I would take other ammo as long as it is SASS legal. I just like the low recoil as it feels good to my shoulder. I am thinking I am going to have to do reloading of shotgun in addition to reloading 38’s. I don’t reload yet but I know I will begin one day. Just need a vendor that doesn’t run out of low recoil shotgun ammo.

9FDCA8B1-DF5F-454A-BA37-9954669B92B2.jpeg

10 hours ago, Patagonia Pete said:

Last year Winchester offered the $2.00 rebate on each box of 25 shells if purchased April 15th through some date in the fall.  I purchased from Rogers.  If you don't mind the hassle of cutting UPC's from each box and mailing them in, the net cost is a good deal.  No shipping or taxes.

Of course I can't guarantee they will do it  again this year.  :)

Sheriff Langston 

I appreciate the help!!  Our Sportsman's Warehouse has closed in this area.  The Wal-Marts in our area don't carry that specific ammo.  I have ordered it from Bass Pro shops before but it took 2 months for them to ship it out.  I will go online and set up Rogers Sporting Goods and Sportsman's Warehouse as favorites so I can order the shotgun shells from them.  I saw them on Rogers Sporting Goods website.  I don't need them now but I was thinking about ordering some before I get too close to  running out.  

Thanks again!!!

2 minutes ago, Buck Henson said:

I appreciate the help!!  Our Sportsman's Warehouse has closed in this area.  The Wal-Marts in our area don't carry that specific ammo.  I have ordered it from Bass Pro shops before but it took 2 months for them to ship it out.  I will go online and set up Rogers Sporting Goods and Sportsman's Warehouse as favorites so I can order the shotgun shells from them.  I saw them on Rogers Sporting Goods website.  I don't need them now but I was thinking about ordering some before I get too close to  running out.  

Thanks again!!!

Keeping checking for the annual Winchester AA rebate before making a big purchase.  For the last several years one could get $2/box rebate for up to five cases.  That is worthwhile despite the hassle of cutting the barcodes from the boxes.

I have looked everywhere and cant find the Remington low recoil any more.  The lowest FPS that I can find is 1145 or something in that area.  Featherlite and Federal Metro loads are by far the lowest FPS factory loaded shells I have found.

1. Cabelas has some Herters 1060 fps 1 oz.

2. Walmart has Estate 1080 fps 1 oz.  $5.50

3. Take off your recoil pad/butt plate & fill the hole with lead shot. Replace pad.

19 minutes ago, Yusta B. said:

Take off your recoil pad/butt plate & fill the hole with lead shot. Replace pad.

Does that really help?

9 minutes ago, Smoky Pistols said:

Does that really help?

I could tell the difference in my Baikal.

2 minutes ago, Yusta B. said:

I could tell the difference in my Baikal.

Good to know.  Hopefully I'll not need the info---but......

3 hours ago, Chuck Steak said:

I have looked everywhere and cant find the Remington low recoil any more.  The lowest FPS that I can find is 1145 or something in that area.  Featherlite and Federal Metro loads are by far the lowest FPS factory loaded shells I have found.

Remington discontinued that offering quite some time ago. 

22 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

If you have a Sportsman's Warehouse, they always stock it. WalMart also has it in many of their stores.

I have been buying it at my local Sportsman’s Warehouse. $9.99 per box + WA sales tax. Not the cheapest but my Stoeger Coach Gun and CAI 1887 like it. 

19 hours ago, Texas jack Black SASS#9362 said:

Might be time to start thinking about reloading your own.IMHO. :FlagAm:

Hi Buck,

I agree with Texas Jack Black.  

If you load your own 12 gauge ammo; you will never need to look for lite/low recoil ammo again -- just components.

Buy a MEC,  use Remington Gun Club hulls,  Federal 209 primers, 7/8 gray wads, and Clays powder. 

You will be able to make an accurate round so lite that the shotgun can be fired with one hand like a pistol.  (Not in a match, of course)

This is the way to go if you have shoulder issues!  

All the best, 

Slow Mo Dern

Archived