SASS Wire Forum

Car Wreck Scam

Yul Lose

I just got a call from our auto insurance company about the wreck my wife was allegedly in on Saturday March 16. The adjuster told me that there was a claim filed this morning and her car license plate was used to identify her car. The only trouble with the story is that it never happened. Our 12 year old grandson had been here for a week and left on Friday and she was worn out and didn’t drive her car anywhere on Saturday and I very rarely drive it, in fact her garage door wasn’t even opened on Saturday. I told the adjuster to get a copy of the police report and she said that there wasn’t one. We’ll see if it goes any further.

BTDT

Insurance company calls my work about accident. When I call back they tell me my truck was involved in a head on near San Antonio. Tell them that's not possible as my truck is in the driveway and I have plenty of people that can vouch for me and the truck.

They send out an adjuster and it is obvious my truck was not involved in a major accident. He does some digging and the PD report has the right year, make, model but the VIN is one digit off. My truck was built in Canada and the VIn starts with a 2 but the vin on the insurance card the PD copied and the report starts with a 1. Turns out someone had sold my insurance card and info to someone so they could use it fraudulently.

Unfortunately I cannot get the incident removed from my insurance record.

Something new going on in my area of California

LAGUNA BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- Orange County parents are on alert amid a "virtual kidnapping" scam. 

Police said parents are receiving threatening calls claiming their children have been abducted and demanding thousands of dollars in exchange for their safe return. 

I think two parents so far...One paid...

Texas Lizard

https://abc7.com/virtual-kidnapping-scam-targets-oc-parents-for-ransom/5202883/

I put tape over the vin numbers up on the dash board so the only way they could have gotten the vin number was by running the plate through DMV or law enforcement data base. They had her DL number, SS number and vin number and she was home all day. The adjuster just called and told me that she had exchanged the information with the other driver which is BS because she was home all day. I’m thinking maybe that kid from the satellite tv might have something to do with all this. I smell a big fat rat.

3 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

I put tape over the vin numbers up on the dash board so the only way they could have gotten the vin number was by running the plate through DMV or law enforcement data base. They had her DL number, SS number and vin number and she was home all day. The adjuster just called and told me that she had exchanged the information with the other driver which is BS because she was home all day. I’m thinking maybe that kid from the satellite tv might have something to do with all this. I smell a big fat rat.

SS number is not something you give out at traffic accidents...Yep big rat...

Texas Lizard

I would call the police and claim fraud, criminal impersonation, whatever I needed to get some investigators looking into this.

How in the hell would they have your wife’s SSN? I’ll bet the dishbag had it from your contract with them.

Yul-this is a big scam going around.

Put a close eye on your bank accounts and CC's.

You are 'ripe' for identity theft.

If you have a home security w/camera set up-Change the password ASAP.

Change ALL of your passwords, on everydangthing you use one on.

BTDT

OLG

Our insurance agent called this morning to let us know that it was indeed a bogus claim and it has been referred to the insurance companies fraud department. They were very apologetic and assured me that the claim would not go on the record. It seems these things are pretty popular these days.

21 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

Something new going on in my area of California

LAGUNA BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- Orange County parents are on alert amid a "virtual kidnapping" scam. 

Police said parents are receiving threatening calls claiming their children have been abducted and demanding thousands of dollars in exchange for their safe return. 

I think two parents so far...One paid...

Texas Lizard

https://abc7.com/virtual-kidnapping-scam-targets-oc-parents-for-ransom/5202883/

It's a good thing that never happened to me when I was a child. My dad might have paid them to keep me. :unsure:

4 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

It's a good thing that never happened to me when I was a child. My dad might have paid them to keep me. :unsure:

Had a friend that used to say that if anyone ever kidnapped his wife it would be like hitting the lottery. He claimed that after a couple of days they would be offering him money to take her back. :o

about 20 years ago, my local insurance agent was colluding with someone, and began filing false accident claims against my insurance,  I did not find out until I moved and changed insurance.  They wanted to know why I had neglected to mention the three accidents the national insurance data base said I had had,.  I said simple answer is that they never happened.  I called Farmers fraud division, they investigated and found he was filing the claims, paying out, and split the money.  They prosecuted and he went to jail.  Yep scams have been around for many years.

On 3/18/2019 at 8:03 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

BTDT

Insurance company calls my work about accident. When I call back they tell me my truck was involved in a head on near San Antonio. Tell them that's not possible as my truck is in the driveway and I have plenty of people that can vouch for me and the truck.

They send out an adjuster and it is obvious my truck was not involved in a major accident. He does some digging and the PD report has the right year, make, model but the VIN is one digit off. My truck was built in Canada and the VIn starts with a 2 but the vin on the insurance card the PD copied and the report starts with a 1. Turns out someone had sold my insurance card and info to someone so they could use it fraudulently.

Unfortunately I cannot get the incident removed from my insurance record.

Shouldn't there be a state agency for insurance? You know the state people who regulate the insurance business in TX. Make a complaint to them about not having the incident removed. I thought the insurance  companies use the incidents to raise your rates. I would think you would also be owed money back if your rates went up.

On 3/19/2019 at 3:05 PM, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Ever read O. Henry's The Ransom of Red Chief...?  :rolleyes:

On 3/18/2019 at 7:52 PM, Yul Lose said:

I cover my vin with old parking passes.  But it don't matter because the vin is on the registration sticker on the window too. 

Archived