SASS Wire Forum

Pearl vs. Ivory grips.

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

I am sure most of us are familiar with General Patton's opinion of pearl handled pistols.  In all truth, I don't truly agree with his reasons for not liking pearl grips.  If you like them, then by all means, put pearl grips on all of your guns.  But that being said, I just personally don't like the look of pearl grips.  For example, here is a pic of one of my Colts that came with Mother of Pearl grips from the factory.

2102147620_GoldPearl.thumb.JPG.ac122ca3392c45483d606eaea0d0ab6c.JPG

They're nice and all, but I really jut don't like them all that much.  So, what to do? 

Well...

1336835907_GoldIvory.thumb.JPG.96580329df5bc23bc098b443c9c533c5.JPG

I found this pair of Wooly Mammoth Ivory grips and decided I had to have them.   I think they look better.  Don't worry, I'll keep the original grips, but I just think this is a better way to go.    They don't fit perfectly, there are some sharp edges that will need to be smoothed out, but other than that they fit very well.

So...   Anyone have any opinions as to which looks better?   :)

20 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Nickel?  Look again...

That's gold on that thar pistol

IMO...the gold accents on the pearl grips (Colt emblems and grip escutcheons) complement the entire ensemble quite nicely.

Ivory. 

I have bone, mother of Pearl, ivory, and big horn sheep grips. My favorite look is the aged ivory. 

Personally, I like the ivory. But for that there shiny gold revolver, stick with the originals (can't believe I said that) Sorry Sir.

But then again, I'd never buy a gold Colt (or any other gold gun). Never want to get it dirty and I can't see payin that kinda money for a non-shooter.

Polished silver guns... I like black or a dark wood.

Howdy,

I like well fitted wood. 

I never cared for any slick grips.

I like stag if they have the right pattern, hard to describe.

Best

CR

I like the Ivory better.  Not to be contrary but to me it’s smooth but not “slick”.  The imitation ivory that I’ve felt was slick though.  Pearl grips seem to be more slick but not as much as the plastic.  Natural materials just feel better than the imitations.

Both sets of grips look good with the gold though!

That's a right purty gun!

That said, I'm an odd ball.  I much prefer working guns that have been around the block a few times and still running well.  If I had a gun that clean, I'd have to dirty up and drag it around the dirt for a while :D

In my opinion, there is nothing nicer than checkered ivory grips on an SAA.  Real pearl is heavy and very fragile.  Kind of like having glass grips.  Not very practical.  But, to each his own.

How does that that same type of pearl or ivory grip look on a blued pistol?

The wood on my Uberti Cattleman pistols is just a tad bit mismatched and I am thinking about buying some faux-ivory or faux-pearl grips so that both guns will match (what I lack in skill I can make up for in style). 

6 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Personally, I like the ivory. But for that there shiny gold revolver, stick with the originals (can't believe I said that) Sorry Sir.

But then again, I'd never buy a gold Colt (or any other gold gun). Never want to get it dirty and I can't see payin that kinda money for a non-shooter.

Polished silver guns... I like black or a dark wood.

I don't understand.   What is this "non-shooter" of which you speak?  The very concept is unknown to me.   I did not know there was any such thing as a firearm, aside from one that is broken, that can not be shot.   I am very perplexed in my lack of comprehension...

As far as cost goes, I got the gun for $1500.00, which is a great deal less than what I normally see a generic 2nd Gen Colt going for these days.   I hardly ever see one in good condition for less than 2 grand, and often a lot more.  Anything below that is usually pretty badly beat up.  The only exception to this, other than the very rare bargain, seems to be the various 2nd Gen commemoratives, of which this pistol is.

And yes, I'll be using it at the MA/CT/RI Tristate in June.   I'll also be preaching at Cowboy Church.   So, if you wanna see a pistol packin' preacher, come to that shoot!

I agree that ivory is smooth, not slick. Real ivory is warm to the touch, and wicks moisture away for a better grip -- and the fake ivory I have to use looks good, and I envy (and admire) your mammoth ivory grips. But my "tick" is that I've never cared for "white" grips on nickel or gold plated guns. I want ivory on blued guns for contrast, and ebony on nickel and other "bright" guns. But it's just a tick, and I don't claim it's any better than anyone else (I prefer your mammoth ivory to the pearl).

9 minutes ago, Oddnews SASS# 24779 said:

I agree that ivory is smooth, not slick. Real ivory is warm to the touch, and wicks moisture away for a better grip -- and the fake ivory I have to use looks good, and I envy (and admire) your mammoth ivory grips. But my "tick" is that I've never cared for "white" grips on nickel or gold plated guns. I want ivory on blued guns for contrast, and ebony on nickel and other "bright" guns. But it's just a tick, and I don't claim it's any better than anyone else (I prefer your mammoth ivory to the pearl).

Funny you should say that.   To me, the standard black hard rubber grips look great on a blued gun but out of place on a nickel one.   To that end...

2109764711_44-405-5NickelColt.thumb.JPG.5422a5278005e9d1e27d10d06e0e531e.JPG

The wood grips came with this gun, a generic 3rd gen I found at a local gunshow.   The grips on it now are "Ivory Laminate" grips by J Scott, made under license of some kind for Colt as aftermarket accessories.  I have no idea if thin layer of "ivory" laminated over the wood grips is real or imitation, but I think it looks great.

By contrast...

1496549926_44-405.5ChromeColt.thumb.JPG.3008b2b0b1ea2cc1b64cda2991736111.JPG

This is a First Generation, antique with the original, and very worn, black hard rubber grips.  The other side of the has a chunk missing, but I have left them on here cuz it gives the gun some "character."  Yes, it has been refinished.   According to the seller it was a "bad chrome refinish."  I have no idea of the gold hammer, ejector, cylinder pin and trigger are original to the gun.   This bad finish allowed me to get this gun for $500 bucks!

But to the original point, I think the dark grip looks put of place on a shiny gun.   I may yet play musical grips with something or get replacements for this one.  It has been suggested to me that this is a prime candidate for the Turnbill Treatment.  Don't know if I'll go there though.   I like the weird look this one has.

Howdy HK,

If you want to let go of those wood grips, I have a good place for them

PM me if you want to talk or whatever.

Best

CR

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

If still in doubt put the pearl on one side and the Ivory on the other .:D :FlagAm:

never been a fan of nickle or gold , ivory or pearl myself , always gone blue with black rubber or wood , but i understand the attraction , i also think that combination to be great together , these photos prove it - very impressive , 

I definitely think a COLT should have natural grips.  That being said, I have had ivory composite, real ivory, stag, elk and real MOP on Colt's and Rugers.  My hunting rig, OM Blackhawk in 45 Colt, wears moose antler and has a matching Randal skinner (I live on the edge of grizzly country).  My SASS rig was matching SAAs with real ivory and a matching knife.

So, in descending order: Ivory, antler (elk or moose), buffalo horn, stag, hard rubber, micarta, wood.

Archived