SASS Wire Forum

The Mossberg un-shotgun

:lol:
I dunno... I was in town yesterday to meet @grenadier for breakfast, and thought I'd take a stroll through Murdoch's afterward. I've read about these things, and they had 3 in stock, so... the 12g version followed me home. It is, for me anyway, surprisingly easy to hit a human size target at 20 yards from the hip, and with my cowboy action shells (12 grains Red Dot, 7/8 oz shot), or AA Featherlites, you could shoot it all day long. This is Mossberg's "Shockwave" w/five + one capacity, vs. four + one for Remington's Tac-14. Both have a 14" barrel, and are ~26 1/4" overall. The Mossberg will reportedly will hold nine + one with the Aguila mini-shells, so probably eight + one in the Remington. Entertaining! :)

Oh, and my first impression of grenadier is he's a pretty decent cowboy, picking up the breakfast tab and giving me 60 rounds of factory Hornady .44 spl's he had no use for at the moment. :)

100_2490.JPG

Almost picked one up the oother day. Good home defense gun.

Mossberg puts a copy in the box. ;)

They found a loophole - it's not a handgun, not a rifle, and not a shotgun, because the description of a shotgun says “designed to be fired from the shoulder”... so they designed it NOT to be fired from the shoulder, and made it slightly over 26" overall to avoid the catchall AOW, and got away with it... for the time being anyway.

$341.99 at Murdochs with 10% veterans discount. :)

Also available with wood furniture (The "Nightstick").

I planned on buying one of these until I decided to move back to California. I did buy a Shockwave grip and the Mossberg forend with the nylon strap for one of my Mossberg 500’s.

The Shockwave grip sure is much better than the other pistol grips I have tried on my pumpguns. 

7 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

It's hard to find where they're not legal, but I think at least California, Ohio, and Massachusetts.

Dang, dang, dang!

Somewhere on Beacon Hill, there's a little closet with a little guy inside, whose sole job is to read everything he can about guns, and then to write nearly unintelligible regulations banning or restricting their sale in MA.  Oh, wait...it's a woman, not a guy...and the sign on her door says "Attorney General"!!!!!

Sigh.....

LL

I was actually in the process of buying the kit from Mossberg to assemble my own Shockwave. You have to call Mossberg and speak with a rep to order the kit. You need a receiver that was originally manufactured by Mossberg and assembled as a gun with a pistol grip. Not sold as a shotgun with a stock attached.

I can’t remember if you have to sign a document stating that your state allows firearms that shoot shot shells that have barrels shorter than 18” or if you have to provide a letter. I have a 500 that I bought that came from the factory with a pistol grip. The kit was $250. I believe it came with the barrel, magazine, mag spring and follower and the grip and forend. 

When I decided I was going to try and move back to CA to be near family I abandoned the Shockwave project.

Also, there is a company that makes an adapter that allows your 500 to fire Aguila mini shotgun shells. 

http://www.opsolmini-clip.com/

10 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

It's hard to find where they're not legal, but I think at least California, Ohio, and Massachusetts.

I surmised it wasn't legal in Ohio because of online dealers stating in their conditions that "We do not ship this item to California, Ohio, or Massachusetts."

The video indicates that although they are now legal in Ohio, the law doesn't take effect til March 28th...? So you can buy it now, but can't take possession of it til the 28th, right?

1 hour ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

I surmised it wasn't legal in Ohio because of online dealers stating in their conditions that "We do not ship this item to California, Ohio, or Massachusetts."

1 hour ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

It was!! There was some kind os a mistake in the gun law, it’s been fixed and signed by the Governor! It was going to outlaw most semi autos! Whew glad it’s been fixed!

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking of adding a Crimson Trace laser to mine.

Red is $50 less than green... how come?

Amazon, $218.06 vs. $169.00

Reviews say visibility is the same, but a green laser uses more power... logically, then, battery life should be less than with red...?

13 minutes ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

Red is $50 less than green... how come?

Amazon, $218.06 vs. $169.00

Reviews say visibility is the same, but a green laser uses more power... logically, then, battery life should be less than with red...?

I asked this in my Why thread. Apparently the green requires more circuitry to work. It also uses more battery. The human eye can see green better than any other color inthe spectrum. It’s a rods and cones thing. Optics planet has the red for $159 and free shipping. I donKt think the green would be any particular advantage on the Shockwave as most probably in a home defense scenario it would be low light situation.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/s/crimson-trace-for-mossberg

On 3/18/2019 at 10:07 PM, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

There is now  a MA compliant version - 18.5" barrel, 6+1, 12 gauge.

$299 at Four Seasons.

LL

48 minutes ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

I'm leaning towards a flashlight mounted on mine, something very bright with a momentary switch

Gat a mount ordered. For mine. I see a problem with operating a switch seein as how theres so much movement involved with racking the slide. 

14 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Gat a mount ordered. For mine. I see a problem with operating a switch seein as how theres so much movement involved with racking the slide. 

UB,

Do you have a website where you ordered your Shockwave rail mount? I wanna put a flashlight on mine. 

42 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I'm saving pennies for the Remington V-3 Tac 13.  Like the looks of that.  And it's based on the very reliable Versa Max.  

V3_Tac-13_right_Remington.jpg

The Mossy holds more in the magazine than either of the remmys do ;)

The Mossberg would make a great bear country defense gun.

Just wish they were legal in PRK........:angry:

OLG

9 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

The Mossy holds more in the magazine than either of the remmys do ;)

The Mossberg would make a great bear country defense gun.

Just wish they were legal in PRK........:angry:

OLG

Some of the Mossberg Shockwaves hold more.  Some of them are 5+1 like the Remington.  But I carry a 1911, so higher capacity don't always impress me.

19 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Some of the Mossberg Shockwaves hold more.  Some of them are 5+1 like the Remington.  But I carry a 1911, so higher capacity don't always impress me.

The 2 stubby Remmys I played with would only hold 4 in the mag.

The Mossy I handled holds 5+1.

I too still carry the 1911 I used as a LEO.

OLG

The Mossberg is 5+1. The Remington with the plastic stock is 4+1.

The Remington with the wood stock is 5+1, but it also costs $100 more than the plastic stocked one. Don't know if that's for the wood or the extra round.

2 hours ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

UB,

Do you have a website where you ordered your Shockwave rail mount? I wanna put a flashlight on mine. 

Amazon. Just search Mossberg Shockwave accessories. They have a lot.

2 hours ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

mine is the 590 and it holds 5+1

I am thinking a pressure pad switch, but you may be right

Yeah, ypu couldn’t put the switch on the moving handguard and it’s a long way back to the grip. The wire would just get in the way I think. I’ll be experimenting.

Archived