SASS Wire Forum

What do YOU do with the milk?

Alpo

Assuming you eat cereal for breakfast, and you have finished all of the cereal in your bowl, if you are like me you have a large amount of milk left. What do you do with it?

From the time I was an itty bitty boy I would pick the bowl up in both hands, tilt it up to my mouth, and drink it.

In '08 I took my mother to Georgia, so she could meet her youngest great-grandchild. While we were visiting, one morning we had cereal. When I picked up the bowl to drink the milk, Mama said to Hazel, "I don't know where he learned to do that". Heck, I'd been doing that for 50 years.

Since I live alone, and the only thing I was using the milk for was to put on my cereal, a few years ago I seriously considered pouring the milk back into the bottle. Yes it was now sugary, but so what? It would be poured back on sugary cereal. No harm no foul. Never ended up doing that though.

This morning I got to thinking about this, and when I finish the cereal I got down a measuring cup. I poured the milk from the bowl into the cup. A full cip - 250 cc.

I think the "couth" way to do it is to spoon it out. But 250 cc using a 5-cc teaspoon, is gonna take a while.

Am I the only uncouth one that drinks it out of the bowl?

I also drink my soup. :o:P

This - "From the time I was an itty bitty boy I would pick the bowl up in both hands, tilt it up to my mouth, and drink it." Though I might use just one hand sometimes.

I even add extra milk to the bowl for this purpose.:D

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Assuming you eat cereal for breakfast, and you have finished all of the cereal in your bowl, if you are like me you have a large amount of milk left. What do you do with it?

From the time I was an itty bitty boy I would pick the bowl up in both hands, tilt it up to my mouth, and drink it.

In '08 I took my mother to Georgia, so she could meet her youngest great-grandchild. While we were visiting, one morning we had cereal. When I picked up the bowl to drink the milk, Mama said to Hazel, "I don't know where he learned to do that". Heck, I'd been doing that for 50 years.

Since I live alone, and the only thing I was using the milk for was to put on my cereal, a few years ago I seriously considered pouring the milk back into the bottle. Yes it was now sugary, but so what? It would be poured back on sugary cereal. No harm no foul. Never ended up doing that though.

This morning I got to thinking about this, and when I finish the cereal I got down a measuring cup. I poured the milk from the bowl into the cup. A full cip - 250 cc.

I think the "couth" way to do it is to spoon it out. But 250 cc using a 5-cc teaspoon, is gonna take a while.

Am I the only uncouth one that drinks it out of the bowl?

I also drink my soup. :o:P

I suggest one of those large bowls with a handle. I don't eat cereal; but I do have soup. When the soup gets low in the container. I pick it up by the handle and drink it like coffee.

Mine is like the following.

Image result for corning ware bowl with a handle

I, too, pick up the bowl and drink what milk is left.  Been doing that my whole life and find it to be perfectly acceptable behavior.  :)  However, I try not to overdue the milk when adding it to my cereal.

Now, I work with a young lad who does not like milk, EXCEPT with cereal, which he eats for breakfast at the office.  When he is done with the cereal, whatever milk is left, he POURS down the sink drain!  :angry:  I find this to be wasteful and completely unacceptable behavior!

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I drink from the bowl...except for the bit I give my dog.

She expects to clean EVERY dish I eat from. So I leave a couple ounces in the bowl for her.

1 hour ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

When he is done with the cereal, whatever milk is left, he POURS down the sink drain!  :angry:  I find this to wasteful and completely unacceptable behavior!

My granddaughter does the same. I don't get it.

5 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

It’s a little uncool in public, but you are what you are, pick it up and drink it unless you at a White House breakfast with the President.  If you are the President, it’s your home pick it up.

If you are having breakfast with the President in the White House, I have a sneaking feeling that Count Chocula isn't going to be on the menu.

I drink it from the bowl.  To pour it out is wasteful and I was raised not to waste food.

If you pour in enough milk so that the cereal just starts float you'll find that you have only enough milk to finish the cereal. Then, you can drink the few drops that are left. I tried to teach the grandchildren this trick by telling them, " Just enough milk to float the boat. "

I drink it from the bowl unless I know it will nauseate someone at the table.  I can't stand the sound or retching.

However, I do not eat sugared cereal and never put sugar on my cereal.  I like enough milk to make the corn flakes soggy.

Duffield

9 hours ago, Fast Tracker said:

If you pour in enough milk so that the cereal just starts float you'll find

that the top 2/3 of the cereal in the bowl is dry. If you're going to eat dry cereal, why pour in a bowl? Just eat it straight out of the box.

I don't particularly like my cereal to be soggy, like Duffield does, but I want both milk and cereal and every spoonful.

7 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I don't particularly like my cereal to be soggy, like Duffield does, but I want both milk and cereal and every spoonful.

I have my reasons.

I’ve learned to put just enough milk in so at the end there’s only a tiny bit left. Then 

I drink it or pour it into my coffee.

This morning the jug was almost empty, and I, completely against my wishes, ended up following the suggestion of "just use enough milk to float the cereal".

When I finished there was about a mouthful of milk in the bowl. However, as I suspected, first half of the bowl was like eating it straight out of the box.

And I went to the grocery store today, and forgot to get milk. Guess I'll eat eggs tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

However, as I suspected, first half of the bowl was like eating it straight out of the box.

Use your spoon to scoop from the bottom of the bowl and push the dry cereal down into the milk as you go along.  It's really not that difficult to get cereal with milk in every bite when you just float the cereal with milk. 

Archived