SASS Wire Forum

Western Marshall Slippery Slope - Repair Parts Advice

Ozark Okie

It started when I bought a Hawes/Sauer Western Marshall at a local club sale day.  Continued with a second one from  Gunbroker, shot my first event with them this past weekend. I really like the guns in spite of their shortcomings...long hammer stroke, recessed cylinders (using my home made dowel rod) , etc. One of the guns has a problem with very light trigger pull; afraid it's the premature hammer, trigger wear that I've read about. (I think I can hear the chorus singing "been there, done that"). I'm including a set of pictures showing hammer and trigger wear surfaces. For reference, the pistol in a 357 mag, serial 8496/3...what I think is referred to as the large frame model....the hammer pivot hole measures .222 in, trigger hole .169. hand pivot/hole .077. 

Two questions - hopefully the pictures show enough detail to help answer them 

- is there enough material on the end of the trigger for me to file a new flat surface?  

- is there a recommended source if its determined that I need a new hammer and trigger?

Thanks for any suggestions/advice.

OO 

Hawes Sauer Hammer Trigger Hand 3 18 2019.jpg

Hawes Sauer Hammer Trigger Mated Close 3 18 2019.jpg

Hawes Sauer Trigger End 3 18 2019.jpg

Hawes Sauer Trigger Side 3 18 2019.jpg

My suggestion would be to send it to a good gunsmith to get the shelf repaired and all parts hardened so they will last longer.  Most folks can't successfully harden metal parts themselves.  If necessary, material can be added to the worn areas with a TIG.

The hammer notch isn't that bad but the trigger is completely rounded off and is unsafe. I'm surprised it holds the hammer back at all. If it was mine I would  re-cut the trigger and try hardening it, but that is me. If you don't have some sort of sear cutting fixture it can be very problematic getting the right angle on the sear.

Gentlemen, thank you for your replies. I am looking for a gunsmith who could do the repair, rebuild. Its been pointed out to me that I could easily spend more than the gun is worth.  I won't shoot the gun the way it is, but if worst came to worst, I might attempt the trigger filing and hardening myself.   Springfield, if you were doing the job yourself would it require special equipment for heating, quenching, tempering? There are videos online that provide the basic steps. I know a special fixture would be required to get the right angle on the trigger.  Thanks again to both of you. I really appreciate the feedback. 

OO

PLUS ONE to Springfield Slim.  The Full Cock Ledge on the hammer is not wonderful.  The trigger is .... KAPUT.  Removing enough metal from the trigger to give you a good sear may well extend hammer travel too far.  I might first look at a trigger from Uberti, or Pietta to see if I could modify to work.  Then recut the full cock ledge to match.

OK, I did a little looking around and found some parts. These are from a 22, but IIRC it shares the large frame. They made two different ones, a small frame with one piece trigger guard/backstrap and the large frame that they are separate. At any rate the hammer and trigger look fine, I'll throw in the hand in case yours has a different diameter pin. PM me your address and I'll get them on the way to Nawlins. Hopefully this will cure your ills. No charge, pass on a good deed to the next fellow.

Correct me if I'm wrong here... but Numrich lists the Large Frame and Western Marshall (see large frame).

Aren't these new and/or used parts for you guns?:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/hawes

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/hawes/large-frame-haw

Looks like you could have a new hammer and trigger for $41 and $15.

Coffinmaker, Goody, Fast Enuff - thank you all for your feedback. Looking at a Uberti, Pietta to modify might be an option. I did look at the Numrich large frame schematic, couldn't determine  that the hammer and trigger combination would work for me, because of hole diameters in hammer and trigger, and pin diameter on the hand...and replacement hand is not available. If I do have to, I'll get whatever seems closest and be prepared to modify to fit.  Goody, you may well be my salvation...thank you very much. PM sent. And thanks to all of you for helping.   

OO

Bailey Creek, thanks.

I didn't realize that Numrich Gun Parts would match up parts if I send the old ones...makes sense that they could. Good to know. 

Also didn't realize the EMF Great Western is the same as my Hawes/Sauer Western Marshall. I do have a lead on the parts for my gun, but if it doesn't work out, I'll check into the Great Western; other good Colt clones with the 4 click hammer set up may be possibilities, too. 

Thanks again.

OO 

Current Great Western parts will not work. I couldn't say about the original Great Westerns made here. Those have a whole nuther story and lineage and did lead to the Hy Hunters, which begat the Hawes, Sauer, Weinrich. Parts went in the mail on Thursday afternoon. hopefully they'll fit and you won't need to worry with it anymore.

Sure 'nuff,  it does seem to be soft. I have a replacement trigger coming.....wish I knew how to harden it. 

OO

Archived