SASS Wire Forum

Do you play with your dog's ears?

Alpo

I always do. I always have. As long as I've had anything to do with dogs - and the first one I recall was a beagle when I was four - I played with their ears.

I scratch in the hollow behind them. I take the ear leather between two fingers, and flap it back and forth.

When I pet other people's dogs, I play with their ears. I have never met a dog that did not like having their ears played with.

Every time we go for a walk, Worthless Yeller Dog Worthless.jpg.445c46d4165114fb2ca8a639d37f8a58.jpg    finds someone and DEMANDS that they pet her. Young people, old people, children, babies. They are required to pet her. She does not take no for an answer.

And people stroke her head. They pat her head. They stroke her back. And when she flops down on her back, they scratch her belly. But until yesterday, no one ever played with her ears.

14 year old girl was petting her head and reached over and caught an ear between two fingers and flipped it back and forth a little. That's not only the first time I've seen someone play with her ears, but it's the first time I recall seeing anyone play with any of my dogs' ears.

It's like the general public is unaware that dogs like it.

Are me and this little girl the only ones that do this?

Nope. My dog Maddie lives having her ears petted. My daughter’s dog, when I was staying with her and her family recently, would move his head so that I would scratch and rub his ears. 

I don’t think I have met a dog yet that doesn’t like it.

I had an old half breed blood hound that had the softest ears you ever came in contact with. He lived for ear rubs and naps, "after 30 years I still grieve"

Imis

Dogs are the greatest people on earth.  I will never stop showing them how much I appreciate them      GW

AND AGAIN I SAY!!  I like most dogs better than I like most people!!!

And ear rubs are a requirement!!

8 hours ago, Alpo said:

I always do. I always have. As long as I've had anything to do with dogs - and the first one I recall was a beagle when I was four - I played with their ears.

I scratch in the hollow behind them. I take the ear leather between two fingers, and flap it back and forth.

When I pet other people's dogs, I play with their ears. I have never met a dog that did not like having their ears played with.

Every time we go for a walk, Worthless Yeller Dog Worthless.jpg.445c46d4165114fb2ca8a639d37f8a58.jpg    finds someone and DEMANDS that they pet her. Young people, old people, children, babies. They are required to pet her. She does not take no for an answer.

And people stroke her head. They pat her head. They stroke her back. And when she flops down on her back, they scratch her belly. But until yesterday, no one ever played with her ears.

14 year old girl was petting her head and reached over and caught an ear between two fingers and flipped it back and forth a little. That's not only the first time I've seen someone play with her ears, but it's the first time I recall seeing anyone play with any of my dogs' ears.

It's like the general public is unaware that dogs like it.

Always.  I think God used beagles' ears to show what softness is supposed to feel like, and most other dogs have wonderful ears, too.

4 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Yep almost all dogs love to have their ears scratched.  Another favorite is between their back hips and the base of their tail. 

My little dog demands, DEMANDS, that her tummy and drumsticks be rubbed and will forego either one for ear rubs and wobbles.

It's a morning ritual for Custer. It's the first thing that happens when he gets out of bed every morning and continues through out the day.

I also do it to any dog I meet and they all love it. Even one dog whose owner at the dog park said he did not like to have his ears touched!

Gus, my daughter and son-in-law's Australian Shepherd loves his ears and rump to be scratched. To him, I am nothing more than ten fingers attached to a large blob that was put here on Earth solely for his pleasure. When I'm sitting on the floor playing with my grandkids, he sits right by me with his face literally inches from my face saying "OK, you've played with them long enough, now it's my turn". He is a great dog and fantastic with the kids. It's amazing what he will put up with from them.

IMG_20190215_180058693_BURST001.jpg

Both of my dogs enjoy head scratching, back rubbing (one just LOVES a deep massage) and ear pulling.  I told my brother the other day that for fun I abused my dog.  I pulled his flesh, I smacked his face, I pulled and flipped his ears, I stuck my fingers into his moth because I can, and did a few other assorted "things" to him.  I was tired when I was done.  He wanted more.  Silly beast loved it.  :)

The smaller one in the back of the photo is my victim.  The pretty one up front is too elegant to stand for that fun abuse for more than a moment. 

Crockett and Magnum.jpg

17 hours ago, Alpo said:

I do it all the time.  One of my first dogs had a problem with her ears where the wax calcified and it was very painful for her.  I had to put solution in them and rub them for about 5 minutes twice a day.  The vet mentioned that if we rubbed her ears more the wax wouldn't have a chance to calcify.  Ever since then I've seen it as my duty to scratch ears.  Most of my dogs like you to really do it hard. 

13 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Another favorite is between their back hips and the base of their tail. 

Same dog mentioned above.  I started scratching her there and she REALLY LOVED IT!  I mean, when we wouldn't scratch that spot, she'd back up to our leg and rub it herself by sitting and standing.  Or the wall. Or furniture.  I'm tellin ya, it got kind of weird.  She had a bald spot back there for most of her life till she got his dysplasia. 

1 hour ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

There's always one character that will take a good thing too far......

lbj-him.jpg

Well, it is Johnson...I’ll keep more of my opinions to myself on that pi....guy.

Archived