SASS Wire Forum

STATE MATCHES

Tequila Shooter

Go for it . I regret every match I have not attended and not a single one where I have shot.  Go everywhere you possibly can and shoot, big and small. We will be looking for you at the TN State.

Imis

So here's an update, I signed up for the Florida State match next month.  The club was very nice by even letting me sign up since I was past the deadline.  I'm looking forward to it, nervous, but excited.  I just told my wife I've got a 3 day shoot with 1 pair of pants, 3 shirts, and 2 vests, not to mention a dinner.  I've got to figure this part out next.

Thanks everyone for all the words of support they did help me make a decision.

Forget nervous.  Let people help you.  Drink a little.  Laugh a lot.  Learn & enjoy!!  Thass what we do here!!

2 hours ago, Tequila Chase said:

So here's an update, I signed up for the Florida State match next month.  The club was very nice by even letting me sign up since I was past the deadline.  I'm looking forward to it, nervous, but excited.  I just told my wife I've got a 3 day shoot with 1 pair of pants, 3 shirts, and 2 vests, not to mention a dinner.  I've got to figure this part out next.

If the match has vendors then buy some more clothes.  Your journey into costume and gun buying has just begun. 

No different, just more people, more posse's, a longer main match, more side matches, a banquet, and vendors. Oh, and more fun. The overall match winners are the same people they are at a monthly match.

Well Tequila, I think you have enough recommendations to shoot the big match, so I'll just throw in my little story.  I had been shooting a few months when I shot my first Comancheria Days in 2000  (not state match that year, but very big).  I shot on the same posse with Gunzilla.  You likely never heard of him but he is one of the great and memorable "characters" of SASS.    My life has never been the same, and I am the better for it.

6 hours ago, Tequila Chase said:

... not to mention a dinner.  I've got to figure this part out next....

Don't worry too much about banquet wear just yet.  You will see a lot of cowfolks wearing their shooting clothes.  Dressing up IS fun, but no need to rush into it.

Tequila-glad you are coming to the Red Hills Ruckus, the Florida State Championship.  We’ll do everything we can to help you have a good time.  And there will be 199 other shooters there ready, willing and happy to give you encouragement and support.  Don’t worry about being nervous-that’s just adrenaline telling you that are doing something you find exciting.  No better way to get ready for big matches than to go to them.  And yes, we will have vendors selling clothes, bullets, knives and lots of other cowboy goods.

6 minutes ago, Cassalong Hopidy said:

Tequila-glad you are coming to the Red Hills Ruckus, the Florida State Championship.  We’ll do everything we can to help you have a good time.  And there will be 199 other shooters there ready, willing and happy to give you encouragement and support.  Don’t worry about being nervous-that’s just adrenaline telling you that are doing something you find exciting.  No better way to get ready for big matches than to go to them.  And yes, we will have vendors selling clothes, bullets, knives and lots of other cowboy goods.

Looking forward to meet all y'all too.  I'll bring my checkbook for the vendors :D

17 hours ago, Tequila Chase said:

Glad your gonna do it.

You like RVing so take the wife and make a weekend out of it.

There nothing like hanging around in the evenings visiting other people's campfires. That's even better than shootin'

You'll make some great friends and learn allot. Like shootin' with a hangover is ROUGH, and ya don't have to drink everything that's passed to ya. :lol:

On March 17, 2019 at 7:47 PM, Tequila Chase said:

Ok, this is my first year in SASS.  I've shot with 2 different clubs and have been in the middle of the pack.  Don't get me wrong I'm not saying in any way shape or form that I'm any good which leads to my question.  It's been recommended to me to participate in larger matches to see what it's like and for experience.  I thought it's too soon and I don't want to make a fool of myself in front of complete strangers.  What do you think?

A state match is only 2 matches on back to back days.

Go!

If you decide not to shoot that's not a bad thing. Going and volunteering is a great way to get exposure, get new gear at the swap meet, and see how the process works. There is always a need for helpers and more than likely before its all said and done, you will have guns in your hands shooting along with everyone!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/18/2019 at 5:37 PM, Tequila Chase said:

I’m new-ish but also signed up with one pair pants, two shirts and ONE vest. Ha! I ain’t worried, everyone else will have wrinkled shirts on, too, I reckon. 

Come on over and shoot the Alabama State Championships in a couple weeks. We have RV camping on the range. Generally friendly disposition, we do have a couple of grouchy old guys. You will have a great time shooting and socializing with us. 

It is not to late register. 

https://www.northalabamaregulators.com/alabamastatechampionships

We imagine that others are focused on us during the early days of playing the game. That's not true at all. As long as you know which way to point a gun, other than the TO and the spotters, people are too busy with their own shooting to pay much attention to anyone else. The fact is every match has people of all speeds. You'll be shocked to find how many longtime shooters will finish behind you. Moral of the story: Nobody but you will be keeping up with how fast you shoot.

Go. You'll enjoy yourself. . .probably so much you'll want to come to Alabama April 25-27. :rolleyes: 

As long as you know the basics I think that you ought to attend some of the Big matches. Big matches often have easier stages than small matches because they are trying to get more people through. New shooters often feel like Everyone is Watching them... but that is just not the case. When you get good at this game, that is when everyone is watching you. 

Snakebite

Archived