SASS Wire Forum

STATE MATCHES

Tequila Shooter

Ok, this is my first year in SASS.  I've shot with 2 different clubs and have been in the middle of the pack.  Don't get me wrong I'm not saying in any way shape or form that I'm any good which leads to my question.  It's been recommended to me to participate in larger matches to see what it's like and for experience.  I thought it's too soon and I don't want to make a fool of myself in front of complete strangers.  What do you think?

Go for it. I don't think you would make any more mistakes than seasoned shooters. Good experience and very good people who are very willing to help

Go for it!  I didn't shoot our State Match my first year because of being a new shooter.   I sure missed a good time!   Go have fun you will learn a lot by shooting a bigger match.

I’ve shot in 1 state match and Winter Range and haven’t been shooting a year yet. Everyone was very good about hiding their grins and laughs. Didn’t finish last in either of them. ( might not have been far from there, but hey) The bigger shoots are a lot of fun. Go for it. You’ll meet some great folks and have a good time. 

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362
34 minutes ago, Tequila Chase said:

Ok, this is my first year in SASS.  I've shot with 2 different clubs and have been in the middle of the pack.  Don't get me wrong I'm not saying in any way shape or form that I'm any good which leads to my question.  It's been recommended to me to participate in larger matches to see what it's like and for experience.  I thought it's too soon and I don't want to make a fool of myself in front of complete strangers.  What do you think?

Go for it and join the rest of us  It is the best way to learn and we ALL have done some foolish deeds. ENJOY.:rolleyes:

39 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

It's just another match. No qualifying... Zero difference in the abilities of the folks attending vs a monthly.

I agree.  And you'll be glad you went.

..........Widder

By all means shoot the big matches.

And I even recommend (or more recommend) going to big matches AWAY from home to shoot with different people.

The people you'll meet and things you'll learn are priceless.

Or, you can wait and make a fool of yourself in front of people you know. :DWork hard and do your share of work, others will respect you more. Ask questions and learn as much as possible.

Maybe get some video and get the better shooters to critique your shooting. Don't attempt to make major changes during the match.  You'll learn a lot if you really pay attention. 

56 minutes ago, Tequila Chase said:

I thought it's too soon and I don't want to make a fool of myself in front of complete strangers.  What do you think?

I have the same fear. Know what I do? I introduce myself that way we aint complete strangers and I can make a fool out of myself all I want!

Jokes aside, everybody messes up. Well, except maybe Phantom. Dont let that fear keep you from the enjoyment of a big match.

Tequila,

Let me be the first to invite you to the Tennessee State match this October. We don't care whether you're a new shooter or a seasoned competitor but we guarantee you'll have a good time.  I look forward to meeting you there! 

Chickamauga Slim 

One thing you gotta know:  you're not going to have nearly as much fun if you take this too seriously.  I feel sure you'll catch a lot less flak than those who've been around longer.

Grandson #2 had the same fear after a year in London:  but what if they laugh at me?  I reminded him that, if anybody laughed, it wouldn't be about his shooting.  If we ain't laughing at/with somebody, we probably don't like him very much.

Do it.

Last year was our first year on the road.

We met a ton of great people at these matches, where the "cowboy" way really is the way things work. Yes you will make some mistakes. And you will see more experienced shooters make mistakes. And both of you will share a laugh about those mistakes later.

And at the end of the match you will wonder where the time had gone.

Assassin had a good point. Don't change your strategy right before or during the match. If you see a shooter run a stage with way that seems better than your way (the way you have done it before) stick to YOUR way. Try out the other ways when you get home. Might find out your original one works better for you.

Best wishes for a fun year!

When I first started, I felt like you.  So I turned down an opportunity to shoot a big match.  I made a mistake and I regret it.  I can never go back and that was a match unlike many that I would ever get to experience.

Shooting the bigger matches are not all that different than your monthly, just a little more shooting and many more opportunities.

You get to meet a lot more people and normally do more activities, such as side matches, etc.  Plus usually more opportunity to meet and socialize with others from a wider area.

And opportunities to see a wider range of shooters -  some very talented and many a lot of fun.

Folks will normally be glad to work with you and if you like coach you.

So, I too say, go for it.

Do it!! Go!! Have fun!!

At one of my  State shoots I shot against a young feller that was just starting..

Hadn't shot many matches but was shooting with his parents

on the same posse I was on and this was his first big match..

I complimented him on about every stage about how well

he was doing...

Well.. :rolleyes: that young feller was "Missouri Lefty"

and the following year?? He left me in his dust.. :huh:

But.. He had fun!!:D

Rance ;)

Thinkin' ya just never know who yer shootin with.. :rolleyes:

go for it! I shot the WV state match my first year shooting CAS/SASS (going on 3 years ago) and my main regret was not doing it sooner!!!! you'll have a blast! no one will judge you!

Bigger equals funner !!!! The majority of the Cowboy/Cowgirl shooters pretty much all started at the bottom of the pile. You'll find a great many will be laughing WITH  you, not at you. By not going at the first opportunity, you will miss meeting a whole herd of new folks that will welcome you like a long lost relative. New faces - new stages - new friends - how can you not go ?  :)

I had the same thoughts as you when I first started. Been shooting for 9 months when I went to my first state match. Had a nervous blast.

22 minutes ago, Major B. S. Walker said:

I had the same thoughts as you when I first started. Been shooting for 9 months when I went to my first state match. Had a nervous blast.

Nervous Blast, sounds like some kind of diarrhea.

TC, multi-day SASS matches are just RV rallies built around a shooting match. Camp onsite with your rig and enjoy the comradery.  Regarding the shooting just be safe and you will fit right in.  No one cares how fast you shoot.  They do care about safety.

1 hour ago, Chickamauga Slim said:

Tequila,

Let me be the first to invite you to the Tennessee State match this October. We don't care whether you're a new shooter or a seasoned competitor but we guarantee you'll have a good time.  I look forward to meeting you there! 

Chickamauga Slim 

Chickamauga,

Since I moved from Bradley County, TN 2 years ago I think you may have talked me into going back to TN for a try.  I'll keep my eyes open for news when it opens for registration.

Tequila

15 minutes ago, Assassin said:

Nervous Blast, sounds like some kind of diarrhea.

My shorts stayed clean but I did worry that I would screw up. Had a blast and left a happy camper. Worrying was just a wasted effort. 

I was a little nervous when I attended the Eastern Divisional a couple years back. When I arrived some of the shooters had shot with me at WR, EOT, HOW, and other matches, I felt right at home. Other areas have different ways of doing things and I was concerned I'd do something stoopid. Just shot my game and had a good time, even finished up pretty good.

54 minutes ago, Major B. S. Walker said:

Had a blast and left a happy camper. Worrying was just a wasted effort. 

This is the best advice that has been given! :)

Cody James and I shoot End of the Trail after 6 months of shooting and practice.  Neither of us placed very high overall, but we had a blast.  We got to shoot with some world champions and every level of shooter.  It will take some of the nerves out of your next big shoot, after all, you've been there and done that.  Go to have fun.  Also, this is where my daughter, SASS Kicker, was inspired by the competition and signed up even though she had only shot a 22 one time in her life. Have fun!!!! 

3 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

I shot the WV state match my first year shooting CAS/SASS

Good choice!  Love me some Appalachian Showdown!  Hope to get back someday.

1 minute ago, MizPete said:

Good choice!  Love me some Appalachian Showdown!  Hope to get back someday.

I wish I could get more people camping out with me! I'm going to the Mason Dixon stampede this year and tent camping all 3 days and of course I'm camping at the showdown Thursday through Sunday again.

Not really sure that a State match is all that different than most local monthlies. If you feel comfortable at a monthly, then go ahead. Yes, there is a higher cost in entry fees, food, hotels, etc., but there are often door or raffle prizes, more stages, good food, and just more fun. The people putting on the match are very happy you support them and want you to feel welcome and  have a great time. And the greatest thing is you get to meet new people and make new friends.

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

When I get to the line In my mind I am the only one wearing clothes and I just smile way way through the stage.:rolleyes: :FlagAm:

Archived