SASS Wire Forum

1887 - IAC/Chiappa/Winchester Parts Interchangeable?

El Juez

If you can get hold of Lassiter...he is probably about the most well versed person on 87’s there is

Thanks all. I will contact these folks.

The carrier assembly looks to have a lot of wear, or possibly some grinding on it, and doesn't function correctly, so I am trying to replace it. The IAC carrier assembly looks slightly different than those shown on schematics for the parts that are available for Chiappas.  

3 hours ago, El Juez said:

Thanks all. I will contact these folks.

The carrier assembly looks to have a lot of wear, or possibly some grinding on it, and doesn't function correctly, so I am trying to replace it. The IAC carrier assembly looks slightly different than those shown on schematics for the parts that are available for Chiappas.  

Post pictures of the cam area on the left side carrier.

What is the SG doing?

Here is some info-

http://coyotecap.com/gunsmithingsimplified.htm

Unless you fully and truly understand the magic of the '87 lever SG.

Have a pro work on it.........

OLG

Thanks.

I know Coyote Cap or Lassiter could make it run really nice. I'm not planning on using this as a main match gun, just an occasional side match. Learning how it operates and the challenge of getting it to work is half the fun! If I can't get it to go after I've spent some time with it I'll send it off to one of them. 

The carrier comes up too high. It ejects nicely but allows a shell to come out of the magazine tube and slip under the carrier causing a jam. Looks like the right cartridge guide has been worn or ground down a bit, allowing this to happen. 

Again, thanks for all the info. Much appreciated.  

Browning, must have loved puzzles......:lol:

Check the stop screw on the right side of the rec'r. Look for a flat spot on the bottom where the carrier makes contact, make sure that screw stays 'tite'.

You'll see a 'step' in the R/S carrier that the stop screw contacts.

I have had to add a small weld 'bead' in that step, and then 'dress' it down in a trial and error fitting to reduce the carrier's travel height.

OLG

Archived