SASS Wire Forum

Good By Direct TV

Yul Lose

Well after being a Direct TV customer for 20+ years I’ll be watching something else. I have a receiver in my house and another in the shop. Our bill has been about $130.00 per month for the two receivers. We got a letter from them saying that since one receiver was in unattached building (my workshop) that it would be treated as a stand alone account and we would have to pay $119.00 additional monthly charge. After a few calls to them they sent out a rep who toured my shop and saw that it was not another residence but indeed a workshop. He said it didn’t make any difference and it would be treated as a separate residence so the charge was justified and he informed us that both installations would have to be redone at our cost. Both the shop and house feed line or cable would have to be enclosed in conduit and the dish on the house chimney mount would have to be replaced with a stand alone mount not mounted to the brick chimney. The local cable company has an easement across our property about 200 feet from the house but they will not build out on our side of the road in their service area, so that is not an option. What do you other folks do for TV reception? We live down in a hollow and the over the air channels don’t come in.

that is freaking ridiculous! I may be having a fight with them soon also. My 2 year deal is up this month. If they raise the prices I am shopping for new service. I am VERY rural so cable is not available

27 minutes ago, Hillbilly Drifter said:

. My 2 year deal is up this month. If they raise the prices I am shopping for new service. I am VERY rural so cable is not available

Raising prices is the main reason why I went back to Cox. After the two years, cost started going up, and up, and UP! Soon enough I was paying more for them than I had been for Cox, and Cox has a better line-up than Direct TV.

We bailed on Dish TV about 4 years ago. Up until recently I had no dish or cable. We used our PS3 and our Amazon Firestick for all our tv via wireless internet. It won’t bring in local channels but I really didn’t want the.m anyway.

I have cable now as it came with the internet package and we got a deal but I don’t watch it. 

I still use my PS3 and watch Netflix or the Firestick and watch Amazon Prime TV. 

If I want to see news I use my iPhone. I rarely look at news any more. 

We’re getting a new (supposedly more reliable) wireless internet installed tomorrow. Our current internet service goes out nearly every time it rains and it’s been out a lot this year. It was out for 3 days the last storm we had. We can’t get ATT Uverse or whatever it’s called we’re to far from the switch. The only cable company out here won’t build out on my side of the road, I’ve been trying to get them to do it for 26 years next month. Living in the country has its advantages and disadvantages, I can still shoot my guns in the back yard.

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

Well after being a Direct TV customer for 20+ years I’ll be watching something else. I have a receiver in my house and another in the shop. Our bill has been about $130.00 per month for the two receivers. We got a letter from them saying that since one receiver was in unattached building (my workshop) that it would be treated as a stand alone account and we would have to pay $119.00 additional monthly charge. After a few calls to them they sent out a rep who toured my shop and saw that it was not another residence but indeed a workshop. He said it didn’t make any difference and it would be treated as a separate residence so the charge was justified and he informed us that both installations would have to be redone at our cost. Both the shop and house feed line or cable would have to be enclosed in conduit and the dish on the house chimney mount would have to be replaced with a stand alone mount not mounted to the brick chimney. The local cable company has an easement across our property about 200 feet from the house but they will not build out on our side of the road in their service area, so that is not an option. What do you other folks do for TV reception? We live down in a hollow and the over the air channels don’t come in.

I dumpedDirect TV about16months ago  went to Cable One.  No improvement and I don't watch TV anymore, soooooo. I'm shopping for ANYTHING better.

I’m paying $147 month for cable with Internet , two receivers . Too much but it’s reliable so I guess I can’t complain. I can’t get the Indians games any other way !

I went in for a knee replacement in December. to cut expenses so I could pay medical bills Direct TV was the logical choice. As I was home for the first 6 weeks I realized that there were ZERO shows on that I had not already seen :o , everything was a repeat , it was just that they were spaced out so it seemed that there was new programming daily. I had been a customer since 1997, was paying $145 per month for 2 receivers (so we could watch different stuff in different rooms), they had just sent a notice that there would be an increase the following month of about $15, an additional charge for the DVR of about $19 was coming in January and the equipment had been so erratic for the last two years that we were not sure if we would get a signal at all most days...:angry:

Did not watch football,, had no movie channels, HD which was supposed to be free for life was $18 per month, no local channels, ....:angry:

Been done with them for going on three months, only doing off the air stuff sometimes (everything here is repeats as well:() so we don't watch much TV at all these days.

Finding I don't really miss it either.

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Only thing available out here is satellite. I have to stick with DirecTV. I understood that another dish would be another acvoint. That’s why 

I never put one on the detached man cave. I have a laptop in there and that’s enough.

49 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Only thing available out here is satellite. I have to stick with DirecTV. I understood that another dish would be another acvoint. That’s why 

I never put one on the detached man cave. I have a laptop in there and that’s enough.

Yeah, can’t get WiFi out in the shop with the current internet provider, hopefully that will change tomorrow. I’ve had another receiver and dish out in the shop since I built it in 1996 and it was never a problem just paid $5.00 a month more for it but according to mini Hitler that came out today my shop is to far away from the house in their satellite photos and qualifies as a separate residence and address.

1 minute ago, Hillbilly Drifter said:

they would definitely have to go if they pulled that crap on me Yul

This kid obviously had a burr under his saddle about something. He was absolutely intent on losing us as customers. My wife even commented about what a jerk he was and she gives everyone, except me,  a lot of leeway in that department. 

I have Dish Network for TV and internet (Hughesnet?).

Internet SUCKS!

What I did for the separate box was go with the Dish for my RV plan/program.  You do have to buy the receiver/dish up-front, but I already had a dish.

Anything you receive on your home receiver, you'll receive on the Dish for my RV receiver.

If you spring for the portable dish or make/buy a stand for a full-size dish you can take it with you when you go camping in your TT.

I think it costs me an extra $5-$10 per month for the Dish for my RV.

I prefer Dish Network - the package I have broadcasts all Atlanta Braves ball games from the Atlanta feed unless the game is also on ESPN.

It's right at $150/month for the TV service with a receiver (Hopper) and one Joey (additional receiver), plus the DIsh for my RV service.

Not cheap, but not a lot of options out here.

I recently dumped Direct TV and went to Dish. Use Frontier for internet. Wanted Direct to add another TV which requires them sending a box, and will cost me $75 plus a monthly fee of $3 or something,  I could plug it in as the cabling was already there. They insisted on my contract being extended for 2 years even though I was paying for the box + a monthly fee; told them to pound sand. Found out Dish equipment has far better capabilities and does not drop out whenever it rains. Their installation was excellent.

Only issues with Dish are those of too many capabilities such as a very obscure key that turns on closed captions. Drove my wife nuts until it was explained to her multiple times. They have multiple examples of techie "enhanced features" that are like a cell phone on steroids. I have an MS in Information Management and can deal with this crap, but my wife is a computer novice and does not like to read the really fine print buried in the pop-up boxes.

Church Key

13 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

This kid obviously had a burr under his saddle about something. He was absolutely intent on losing us as customers. My wife even commented about what a jerk he was and she gives everyone, except me,  a lot of leeway in that department. 

File a formal compliant against him.

Don't stand for this.

OLG

How did he know about the receiver in your unattached shop?  Can you install a covered walkway to make it attached?  String up a tarp when he comes to make his inspection. 

I dumped dish and went to local cable for various reasons.  When they were trying to retain me and asked what they could do better, I told them flat out I was tired of helping them fix their problems when they clearly don't want to listen.  Now I'm thinking of dumping cable and going to 100% streaming. 

For local channels, you just need a higher antenna.  I guarantee you can get them if you go high enough, the problem is knowing how high you gotta go.  But there's also a place that lets you stream local channels for free.  I'm not using them yet but I heard about them on the Clark Howard show, so I believe they are legit.  I think I'm going to tell them I live in dallas so I won't have to deal with blacked out cowboy games. 

https://www.locast.org/ 

17 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Yeah, can’t get WiFi out in the shop with the current internet provider, hopefully that will change tomorrow. I’ve had another receiver and dish out in the shop since I built it in 1996 and it was never a problem just paid $5.00 a month more for it but according to mini Hitler that came out today my shop is to far away from the house in their satellite photos and qualifies as a separate residence and address.

I have a wireless router in the house and put a wifi antenna on the man cave roof and get a good signal.

3 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

How did he know about the receiver in your unattached shop?  Can you install a covered walkway to make it attached?  String up a tarp when he comes to make his inspection. 

I dumped dish and went to local cable for various reasons.  When they were trying to retain me and asked what they could do better, I told them flat out I was tired of helping them fix their problems when they clearly don't want to listen.  Now I'm thinking of dumping cable and going to 100% streaming. 

For local channels, you just need a higher antenna.  I guarantee you can get them if you go high enough, the problem is knowing how high you gotta go.  But there's also a place that lets you stream local channels for free.  I'm not using them yet but I heard about them on the Clark Howard show, so I believe they are legit.  I think I'm going to tell them I live in dallas so I won't have to deal with blacked out cowboy games. 

https://www.locast.org/ 

Well like I said I’ve had it out there for 20years or more and according to him it’s far enough away from the house, about 90 feet that they say it is a separate residence. They’ve had to change out the dish and equipment out there a few times over the years so they’ve known where it is. I’d need about a 60ft. tower according to one of the network techs if I want local channels.

The new wireless internet company just left and they can’t get signal anywhere near the house or the shop. They got it about 650’ north of the house and the tech said that there would be so much loss in that long of a cable run that it would not be dependable. Still searching for something better.

I went to get rid of DirecTV last year. I was tired of paying their price increases. Long story short...got offered 1 year no contract with new equipment at about half the cost so I went with that....fought them for 6 months to actually get the billing right....finally got overcharges refunded. Giant PIA. We'll see what happens in July when agreement runs out. If they jack up price...they are gone. I will do without. I live very rural. Spectrum has lines 1/4 mile north of house and Frontier is about 1/4 mile south. Neither will run lines to my house. I get my phones and internet through Verizon. Pretty satisfied right now with them. 

1 hour ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

I went to get rid of DirecTV last year. I was tired of paying their price increases. Long story short...got offered 1 year no contract with new equipment at about half the cost so I went with that....fought them for 6 months to actually get the billing right....finally got overcharges refunded. Giant PIA. We'll see what happens in July when agreement runs out. If they jack up price...they are gone. I will do without. I live very rural. Spectrum has lines 1/4 mile north of house and Frontier is about 1/4 mile south. Neither will run lines to my house. I get my phones and internet through Verizon. Pretty satisfied right now with them. 

We have Verizon phones as well.

Have been playing around with using the phones as hot-spots instead of the satellite for internet - it's considerably faster.

We don’t get cell phone reception at the house or shop either.

2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

The new wireless internet company just left and they can’t get signal anywhere near the house or the shop. They got it about 650’ north of the house and the tech said that there would be so much loss in that long of a cable run that it would not be dependable. Still searching for something better.

Yeah, the nearest cell tower to me is about 7 miles. No service. People want to text me and I tell em to just call my house number and we'll talk. They can't believe I have a wired phone in this day and age. :D

Just now, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Yeah, the nearest cell tower to me is about 7 miles. No service. People want to text me and I tell em to just call my house number and we'll talk. They can't believe I have a wired phone in this day and age. :D

The internet guy that was here this morning couldn’t believe his cellular phone wouldn’t work and didn’t believe me the first couple of times I told him. He thought his phone was broke.

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Just because you can see a cell tower doesn't mean that your cell carrier uses it. Most carriers do not share cell site locations. Especially towers

Find Your Nearest Cell Tower in Five Minutes or Less: 2019 Edition

47 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Just because you can see a cell tower doesn't mean that your cell carrier uses it. Most carriers do not share cell site locations. Especially towers

Find Your Nearest Cell Tower in Five Minutes or Less: 2019 Edition

In some cases that’s true but in my past life when I managed Mt. top communications sites we’d have all three carriers in the buildings. Verizon, ATT and Sprint and some places one of the PCS carriers. Not all of them got along either and dirty tricks were quite common.

I don’t do anything about TV reception.  Only satellite services are available in my rural world, but I cut the satellite off almost 8 years ago because I wasn’t being entertained or informed.  I didn’t watch any news but Fox (and that is becoming a bit flaky), and didn’t watch the mind-numbing programs on the alphabet channels.  I didn’t watch much of Hollyweird movies, don’t want to support their left wing diatribes and efforts at self-aggrandizement.  I do make exceptions for Clint Eastwood’s directed movies.

I didn’t want to subsidize what I considered junk channels in the basic satellite package through carriage fees.  Nowadays I wouldn’t have a satellite subscription if it were free. 

If I want news, I’ll go online to Breitbart or similar.  My philosophy:  If I don’t watch NBC/ABC/CBS/MSNBC/CNN et al news programs, I am UN-informed. If I do, I am ILL-informed. 

To each his/her own!  Do whatever floats your boat.<_<

We're on Spectrum here. have Wi-fi, internet, cable with HD. other than their boxes crapping out at about two year intervals, fairly satisfied with them, other than cost. As far as cell goes, we're kinda in a hole here. Sprint and AT&T work fairly reliably here, but if you're on Verizon, you've got to go to the high east end of the park to get reception. Drives some of our contractors absolutely nuts. I'm on Sprint for the cells, my associate is on Cricket and has fairly good service here. the previous maintenance guy was on AT&T. We use the cells to communicate across the park when we split up for rounds and some repairs. They work better than radios/walkie-talkies:blush:

We just moved to a small town in Southern AZ. We dropped the land line and cable tv, but kept the Internet. Cox raised the Internet price since we dropped the bundle, but got a Roku stick and have Netflix. The only news channel worth watching is Fox. I get most of my news via the Internet. Also have a large dvd library full of actors who aren't flakes.

Archived