SASS Wire Forum

Me 163

Subdeacon Joe

Takeoffs and landings were a real adventure in that thing.

They mistitled it though.

Should be USAAF.

53 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Takeoffs and landings were a real adventure in that thing.

They mistitled it though.

Should be USAAF.

"The Air Corps became a subordinate element of the Army Air Forces on 20 June 1941, and was abolished as an administrative organization on 9 March 1942. It continued to exist as a branch of the Army (similar to the infantry, quartermaster, or artillery) until reorganization provisions of the National Security Act of 1947 (61 Stat. 495), 26 July 1947.[4]"

5 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Man, you wouldn’t catch me in that thing. You’d have to crazy or well, crazy, to want to fly that thing.

We would be nowhere as a civilization if we didn’t have a few crazy people once in a while.  There is a line differentiating those crazy people and the “hold my beer and watch this” crowd and I think it is sobriety.

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

We would be nowhere as a civilization if we didn’t have a few crazy people once in a while.  There is a line differentiating those crazy people and the “hold my beer and watch this” crowd and I think it is sobriety.

I like land. I like staying on it. Now, going fast in the ground is fun. It’s why I ride motorcycles, but flying in an experimental plane with a rocket engine? No dice.

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

"The Air Corps became a subordinate element of the Army Air Forces on 20 June 1941, and was abolished as an administrative organization on 9 March 1942. It continued to exist as a branch of the Army (similar to the infantry, quartermaster, or artillery) until reorganization provisions of the National Security Act of 1947 (61 Stat. 495), 26 July 1947.[4]"

My dad continued to call it the Air Corps even though he didn’t go in until 43. Old habits die hard

6 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

My dad continued to call it the Air Corps even though he didn’t go in until 43. Old habits die hard

Sort of like the guys at dad's VFW  Post who called Armistice Day Armistice Day up into the '70s even though the name was changed in '57.

There were several interesting designs the Germans came up with to fend off the Allied bombers.

Good thing most of them were never fully developed. We did gain some important technology through their research though.

A couple of these little buggers were actually shot down by the Allied fighters.

Fascinating film!  The use of elevons was also a pioneering aeronautical development, ultimately used on many U.S. aircraft, including the Space Shuttle!  Although, the X-15 hypersonic research aircraft did not take off from the ground, it did land on a nose wheel and skids.  Fortunately, the Me-163 was not that effective as an interceptor due to its short loiter time.  But its speed created real problems for our bombers' gunners to track.  The Me-262 would have been a much more effective interceptor, being jet-powered, had not Herr Schikelgrubber insisted it be developed as a fighter-bomber, and also, German resources were wasted on the Vengence weapons, V-1 and V-2.  If the funding for those projects been directed at Me-262 production, the war might have been prolonged until the Allies got jets into production in quantity! 

Well London and Moscow would have looked a lot different after the war.

I don’t know if the German line was far enough east to flatten T34 factories, but Britain would have been in trouble. D day could never happen with 4 engine bombers wiping out staging areas and ship docks and yards.

I guess they could have bombed the Russian rail lines and yards back to the Stone Age.

36 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Hitler kept pushing bomber this and bomber that and should have put resources elsewhere.

Good thing he didn't, huh?

It was a good thing he was nuts.

And it was a bad thing he was nuts.

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 1:18 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Man, you wouldn’t catch me in that thing. You’d have to crazy or well, crazy, to want to fly that thing.

The Flying Heritage collection up in Everett, WA has an example on display. Like most of their collection it has been restored to flyable condition. However there is a placard next to it that says to the effect just what you said... they've never flown it and probably never will because nobody would be crazy or suicidal enough to want to try. :wacko:

Not so easy to shoot down  arocket plane. Until it turns into a glider. ;)

1 minute ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Here's a replica, built as glider only.

Yeah, saw that. Advertised as the only flying 163 in the world. I guess gliding is sorta flying. ;)

Archived