SASS Wire Forum

What flying machine is this?

Pat Riot

Two of these flew over my house today when I was assembling patio furniture. I live near Los Alamitos Air Force Base.

What are they? I think they are very cool but they ain’t sneakin’ up on anyone. ;)

5865EB43-B96A-4B26-ADB7-A604DE08B903.thumb.jpeg.a7646bdac066d9dd1671c31e9d201d9c.jpeg8AF22AFE-89CE-4A2C-AB58-7C98735ECB72.thumb.jpeg.f1b047ea858c220107c1d739b45cd087.jpeg

Osprey!  Tactical transport. Marines if I remember correctly.

12 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Osprey!  Tactical transport. Marines if I remember correctly.

Yep V-22 Osprey Marines and USAF currently have them. Army and Navy will have them before long.  V-22 Had some serious growing pains but now is combat proven.

Popular Mechanics write-up

The V-22 Osprey flies, faster and farther than helicopters, giving the U.S. military an edge on the battlefield.

Takes off like a chopper. Flies like a plane. 

I live very close to MCAS Miramar  Osprey's are flying over my house most days, It's kinda neat to see them transition from vertical to horizontal.

V22 Osprey. We see them around here quite often, there is a bunch of them down at MCAS. Early on there were some fatalities but it’s proven to be a pretty  good aircraft according to an officer I’m quite close to.

I'm surprised it's still around.  We were involved in making gears, shafts, and housing for them in 1986 when I was working for Western Gear Corp. in City of Industry, Ca.

Almost everything on those things was out of spec from the day they were designed, but it all worked.....eventually. 

22 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

It’s a failed concept that has cost many Marines their lives. There is zero use for this aircraft. The powers that be just couldn’t let this or death trap go to the scrap heap. 

The V-22 development holds the dubious distinction of having killed the most crew members of any new airframe. 

On 3/16/2019 at 7:01 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

Yep V-22 Osprey Marines and USAF currently have them. Army and Navy will have them before long.  V-22 Had some serious growing pains but now is combat proven.

Popular Mechanics write-up

I can’t believe the army will get them. They lost the Caribou to the Air force and I don’t see much difference here.

The ability to take off and land vertically and to carry large ordinance and lots of troops are its biggest selling points. The fact that it can cover greater distances and do it faster and at greater altitude are advantages over normal rotary wing aircraft.  

I always thought that the Osprey was kind of a clever cross between a fixed wing cargo plane and a Chinook!!

2 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Funny how some of the best designs go by the wayside and those with numerous problems are chosen and perpetuated.

Politics and payoffs...

Yup. Follow the money.

19 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I can’t believe the army will get them. They lost the Caribou to the Air force and I don’t see much difference here.

The C7A was the aircraft both fixed wing & rotary that I traveled by in RVN.  I still can hear & feel the ruble of the twin wasp engines on takeoff.  With full flaps there was almost zero clearance with the fuselage; so, there was loud rattling.  Not the most reassuring sound the 1st time riding one.

I know one thing, I like my new location. All kinds of helicopters and Ospreys flying in and out daily. It’s like a rotary wing air show around here during the day. :D :FlagAm:

Glad they don’t fly the Ospreys st night. Those things are attention getters with the mouse they make. 

1 hour ago, J.D. Daily said:

The C7A was the aircraft both fixed wing & rotary that I traveled by in RVN.  I still can hear & feel the ruble of the twin wasp engines on takeoff.  With full flaps there was almost zero clearance with the fuselage; so, there was loud rattling.  Not the most reassuring sound the 1st time riding one.

Still a pretty handy aircraft. Just the ticket for Army ops. But the AirForce said it was too big and Strategic for the Army so they were all transferred to them. :angry:

Australian pilots could fly the wings off em.

Caribou.jpg

Amazing what computer technology can do for flight controls. 30 years ago it used not much more than a Radio Shack computer. Today it is using cutting edge flight control systems. Thirty years ago most of the front line military aircraft were impossible. But today, with advanced computer control F35, F22, FA18 Super Hornet and others are possible. The early V22 was simply ahead of the technology needed to make it safe.

13 minutes ago, Rancho Roy said:

Amazing what computer technology can do for flight controls. 30 years ago it used not much more than a Radio Shack computer. Today it is using cutting edge flight control systems. Thirty years ago most of the front line military aircraft were impossible. But today, with advanced computer control F35, F22, FA18 Super Hornet and others are possible. The early V22 was simply ahead of the technology needed to make it safe.

Kind of like the Boeing 737 Max 8?

13 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

*COUGH* A-10 *COUGH*

That thing does a job, don't it? Air Force (politicians) want to kill it, troops on the ground wouldn't be without it.

Supported those in Az for a few years. Flying Tank don't even begin to describe it. It's a BEAST!

Kind of like the Boeing 737 Max 8?

The 737 Max8 is a game changer airplane. Range, fuel efficiency, noise, ROI....the next generation of airliner. The problem was not technology but not enough pilot training on a very new system. Someone at Boeing really dropped the ball in this regard. 

Archived