SASS Wire Forum

New Rossi 92 in 357

Buzzard Bayne

I was just at a local gun show and saw a table with a stack of new, stainless Rossi 92s in 357 with 20-inch barrels.  I gave some thought about picking one up while I walked around.  When I got back to the table I ended up buying the last one - this was only an hour after the show started.  It looks like they are back in production - and in demand,

3 minutes ago, Buzzard Bayne said:

I plan to take it to the range tomorrow.  Let you know how it shoots.

Clean the bore and check to be sure all screws are 'tite'.

Oil it up and cycle it a zillon times before you leave for the range.

Can you go out in the back yard and cycle some real ammo through it?

Good find, BTW :excl:

OLG

8 minutes ago, Deadshot Dan said:

Looks like a nice rifle. Hows the action feel ?

This is my first 92.  Action is not as smooth as my 73, but a lot smoother than the new Marlins that I looked at today.  The lever moves easily with no catches or hangs.  Trigger has a "firm roll" which is how I like my triggers.  Trigger breaks at 4.5 lbs.

2 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Clean the bore and check to be sure all screws are 'tite'.

Oil it up and cycle it a zillon times before you leave for the range.

Can you go out in the back yard and cycle some real ammo through it?

Good find, BTW :excl:

OLG

Cannot go in the back yard today - kids birthday party next door.  Can you imagine the police response?

I have some 38 special snap caps.  Loaded all 6 and worked through all six caps.  Lever worked smoothly, though I could feel a little "hitch" when it went to feed.  Time to clean it up for tomorrow.  Of course now I have to find the snap caps.

Just now, Buzzard Bayne said:

Cannot go in the back yard today - kids birthday party next door.  Can you imagine the police response?

I have some 38 special snap caps.  Loaded all 6 and worked through all six caps.  Lever worked smoothly, though I could feel a little "hitch" when it went to feed.  Time to clean it up for tomorrow.  Of course now I have to find the snap caps.

Load up some dummy ammo and run it.

I don't trust snap-caps for feeding.

OLG

1 hour ago, Buzzard Bayne said:

I was just at a local gun show and saw a table with a stack of new, stainless Rossi 92s in 357 with 20-inch barrels.  I gave some thought about picking one up while I walked around.  When I got back to the table I ended up buying the last one - this was only an hour after the show started.  It looks like they are back in production - and in demand,

After almost two years Rossi/Taurus/CBC is shipping guns again. Their most popular is the 20" stainless round barrel in 357 mag so these were first. I got some in September. but, recently I got some in 44mag too.

If you want it to run smooth and fast buy the video Nate Kiowa Jones made from his web store at Steve's Gunz. Also buy the ejector spring and Stainless Steel mag follower.

Try loading .38 specials with 125 gr RNFP or LTC with an OAL if .,505 to 1.510. I have 4 Rossi 92s and they all like this OAL and bullet profile. Be prepared to experiment some as each 92 can be picky about the OAL that it likes.

Definitely load dummy rounds to check how well the action cycles after you do the mods in the video. 

Nice. I have 4 Rossi 92s in .357 and .45 Colt. Two each. I have always enjoyed them. They are very reliable and one of my .45 Colts is my go to gun for most things around the ranch. Accurate as can be.

Mr. Buzzard I was also at a gun show about 2 weeks ago and saw several on a table in 44 and 357 . Didn't check to see if they were stainless or nickel. The vender was asking 599.00.

50 minutes ago, Major B. S. Walker said:

Mr. Buzzard I was also at a gun show about 2 weeks ago and saw several on a table in 44 and 357 . Didn't check to see if they were stainless or nickel. The vender was asking 599.00.

Major, Probably the same dealer.  He did give a good discount for ca$h.

3 hours ago, Man From Boot Hill #71246 said:

You have to watch where dummy rounds go when testing the 92, they can fly! I know, I lost one and found it a month later!!

Replace the ejector spring with the one from Steve's Gunz and they will quit flying so far.

It will behove you to buy NKJ  CD and follow it .

The rifle will run smoother then you can believe .

http://stevesgunz.com/action-video/ 

Im glad to see them coming back again .

They are a very reliable rifle .

And 90% of the shooters can Not out run the action .

Unless you faster then this . 

I had a Rossi 92 in brass and stainless, .45c. It ran fast and very smooth, I sold it when i wanted a 73 that didnt really make me faster. I wish i had the 92 back, it sure was pretty.

Imis  good to know they are coming back

Range Day

Went to a local indoor range to function check the rifle.  I set the rear sight to the lowest setting and loaded one 357 Magnum cartridge.  Shot the rifle off-hand at a 25 yard target.  Point of impact was about 1/2 inch left of point of aim.  Loaded five rounds of 357 and fired them off-hand at the 25-yard target.  Gun functioned smoothly and produced a nice 2-inch group.

Loaded 10 rounds of 38 Special - 125 grain round nose flat point, 3.0 grains of Clays, Winchester Small Pistol Primer, LOA 1.45.  Gun functioned through all ten shots.  I could feel a little "hitch" when the round was feeding, but it did not slow or stop me from working the lever.  Point of impact for the ten shots were a little lower that point of aim.  Shot several other 10-shot groups and the rifle worked flawlessly.  I am not a speed demon when it comes to working the rifle and was not shooting for speed.

I plan to use this rifle as a back-up for my Uberti 1873.  Probably break this gun out for those wet and rainy days.

Archived