SASS Wire Forum

So Supportive...

DocWard

I believe I mentioned I have I have gone back to attempt to finish earning my black belt in Kenpo. I finally have a Saturday where I am free to attend a sparring class. I was able to make one about six weeks back, but the turnout was very low due to weather, among other things.

I commented to Mrs. Doc and my oldest daughter that I thought I would go "remind myself how old, slow, out of shape and out of practice I am" by attending a sparring class. My wife's response. "Don't get clocked until you can't drive, I don't feel like coming to get you." My daughter's response "Don't look at me, I'll be playing Dungeons and Dragons."

Yes, I think they were kidding. Yes, D&D is still a thing.

Look at it as incentive not to “get clocked”. ;)

I think that is a very admirable goal. I hope you get to fulfill it. 

42 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Yes, D&D is still a thing.

About two months ago I was doing some shopping.  My state-mandated reusable bag was inside out and I commented to the checker, a very pleasant early 20s young lady, "Well, it doesn't matter, not as if it's a bag of holding."  She froze, her jaw dropped, her eyes got wide, "Don't tell me you play D&D too!"  

Heck, I was likely playing before her parents met.

2 hours ago, DocWard said:

I believe I mentioned I have I have gone back to attempt to finish earning my black belt in Kenpo. I finally have a Saturday where I am free to attend a sparring class. I was able to make one about six weeks back, but the turnout was very low due to weather, among other things.

I commented to Mrs. Doc and my oldest daughter that I thought I would go "remind myself how old, slow, out of shape and out of practice I am" by attending a sparring class. My wife's response. "Don't get clocked until you can't drive, I don't feel like coming to get you." My daughter's response "Don't look at me, I'll be playing Dungeons and Dragons."

Yes, I think they were kidding. Yes, D&D is still a thing.

I'm sure your tongue was firmly planted in your cheek while you typed this.......

However, I do agree.  Don't get clocked!!!

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

About two months ago I was doing some shopping.  My state-mandated reusable bag was inside out and I commented to the checker, a very pleasant early 20s young lady, "Well, it doesn't matter, not as if it's a bag of holding."  She froze, her jaw dropped, her eyes got wide, "Don't tell me you play D&D too!"  

Heck, I was likely playing before her parents met.

My at that time teenage son and I studied together. He was several belt levels higher and an instructor. When we sparred it was either legalized child abuse or outright elder abuse no quarter was asked or given. When we lined up across from each other the word NO would ring out loud and clear We both carry residual injuries from those battles. I stopped sparring years ago when I came to the conclusion that I didn’t bounce or heal well anymore

1 hour ago, Henry T Harrison said:

My at that time teenage son and I studied together. He was several belt levels higher and an instructor. When we sparred it was either legalized child abuse or outright elder abuse no quarter was asked or given. When we lined up across from each other the word NO would ring out loud and clear We both carry residual injuries from those battles. I stopped sparring years ago when I came to the conclusion that I didn’t bounce or heal well anymore

The couple of times now that I've sparred, I've certainly been the oldest person there. At 53 and high mileage, I will certainly feel it later, but I do believe it is a necessary component of my training at this stage.

Oh, and I drove home just fine, without calling Mrs. Doc. She was pleased she didn't have to get out. Hopefully my daughter is enjoying her D&D.

5 minutes ago, DocWard said:

The couple of times now that I've sparred, I've certainly been the oldest person there. At 53 and high mileage, I will certainly feel it later, but I do believe it is a necessary component of my training at this stage.

Oh, and I drove home just fine, without calling Mrs. Doc. She was pleased she didn't have to get out. Hopefully my daughter is enjoying her D&D.

It’s a very important part of training without sparring it’s an just an excersise in theory. I was 65 when I quit sparring the body just gave out on me

5 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

It’s a very important part of training without sparring it’s an just an excersise in theory. I was 65 when I quit sparring the body just gave out on me

Agreed.

My instructor is 74, and when we're doing lessons, the speed and power that he still has in his techniques is amazing. Thanks to the time he was laid up after breaking his leg so badly, as well as age, I'm sure, he doesn't have the ability to kick as high as he used to, and doesn't spar, but I have zero doubts he can still take care of himself quite well.

My wife took up karate around year and a half ago and has her orange belt. She loves it and being around children is a +. She also loves that sparring for some reason. And by the way next month she will be 76.

Relaying a story of my much loved cousin Bill.  Bill was a little guy, ideally suited for the role of tunnel rat but this story is not about combat effectiveness.. 

little guy, about 5’7”., after many years he said he had been a tunnel rat.

bill always loved karate, for many years he went to places to teach techniques. Eventually he retired, too many students had learned his techniques and he had broken too many bore.

Archived