SASS Wire Forum

Doc Holliday fact

Rye Miles #13621

In the recent issue of True West magazine, they interviewed Mary Doria Russell who wrote the book "DOC" about Doc Holliday.

Did you know that he was born with a cleft lip and palate and his uncle John Stiles Holliday performed the first cleft surgery in North America on his nephew Doc.??

Fascinating!!!

2 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I did know that, fellow cowboy shooter told me that years ago.

And you didn't tell us why? :P

9 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

That might explain why he became a gunfighter.  Likely the end result still looked different than everyone else and he grew up tough due to ridicule.  

In pictures of him you can't tell he had cleft surgery at all. He became a gunfighter because he had to give up his dentistry since he was coughing on his patients. He turned to gambling and from all accounts he was pretty good at it.

The book "DOC" by Mary Doria Russell gives some great insight into him, did ya know he was a pretty darn good piano player? He loved Chopin!:)

26 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

In pictures of him you can't tell he had cleft surgery at all. He became a gunfighter because he had to give up his dentistry since he was coughing on his patients. He turned to gambling and from all accounts he was pretty good at it.

The book "DOC" by Mary Doria Russell gives some great insight into him, did ya know he was a pretty darn good piano player? He loved Chopin!:)

Frederic "Flippin" Chopin.

6 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Did Chopin compose Chopsricks?

Nope it was Euphemia Allen

https://www.answers.com/Q/Who_Composed_Chopsticks

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Did Chopin compose Chopsricks?

No Bach did.  He composed everything!  All music!  All the other composers just embellished his stuff!  Even The Beatles stuff and Johnny Cash!

In fact, if Bach hadn't come along all we would have would be the noise that comes out of a Jaw Harp.

1 hour ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

No Bach did.  He composed everything!  All music!  All the other composers just embellished his stuff!  Even The Beatles stuff and Johnny Cash!

In fact, if Bach hadn't come along all we would have would be the noise that comes out of a Jaw Harp.

Which Bach are you talking about??? This is an interesting list of ALL classical music composers, Bach was a great one and they're was 6 of 'em! Check out this list!

http://www.classicalcomposersposter.com/insert_sheet3.1.pdf

C.P.E. Bach, of course! :ph34r:  I'm very sorry, I did not mean C.P.E. BACH, I MEANT P.D.Q. BACH.  Just got the initials confused.  The same thing had to have happened to J.S. BACH, he had so many kids, wore out a couple of wives, and he named them all with initials!   It had to confuse him too!

I'm sorry for my mistake!  Again I meant that grand and  gifted P.D.Q. BACH.

4 minutes ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

C.P.E. Bach, of course! :ph34r:

What exactly makes him the best?? :blink:

Johann Sebastian wasn't a slouch either as were all the rest of them! Actually he's responsible for the temperament we use today!

The Well Tempered Clavier!!!!

Chopin was no slouch either!! Doc's favorite artist!

15 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

What exactly makes him the best?? :blink:

Johann Sebastian wasn't a slouch either as were all the rest of them! Actually he's responsible for the temperament we use today!

The Well Tempered Clavier!!!!

Made a mistake.  I just edited my post.

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 8:37 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Euphemia... now there's a name you don't hear little girls named anymore. Yikes!

4 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Euphemia... now there's a name you don't hear little girls named anymore. Yikes!

She was 16 when she wrote that!

I came back to the Wire for an education.  Nice to see my wish fulfilled.  But I see an error.  This discussion about "Johann Sebastian" is in error.  I am quite certain that all of the world's great music was written by John Sebastian who might be kin to Johann Sebastian but is more well known as a restauranteur  because he owned that greasy spoon called The Lovin' Spoonful.

Jus' sayin'.....get your facts right!  :P

Getting back to the OP. Stacy Keach played Holiday in the movie Doc in the '71. He also has a cleft lip. Coincidence? ;)

2 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

And you know what happened after he passed away? He decomposed. ;)

Yep, and music ended.  Been just noise ever since, 'cept for Beethoven, Chopin, Brahms, Chopin, Schubert, Chopin, Mendelsohn, Chopin, Lizst, Chopin, Strauss, Chopin, and a few others.     

My favorite Bach is Tocata and Fuge (sp) in D minor. Anybody got that to play?  Cheers,  Hoss C.

11 hours ago, Hoss Carpenter said:

My favorite Bach is Tocata and Fuge (sp) in D minor. Anybody got that to play?  Cheers,  Hoss C.

Thanks very much Rye,  it has been a few years since I heard that whole thing. Before I started it, I poured a couple of Drams of a fine Single Malt and sipped it while listening. Back in the 70s I had an opportunity to be in a Cathedral in Munich and hear this piece on an equally great Organ with a superb Musician. Can you imagine the complexities of Bach's mind in putting all this together?  Thanks again.   Cheers  Hoss C.

Getting back to the OP, I'm amazed that Doc's uncle, John Tyler Holliday didn't get much attention being that he did the FIRST cleft surgery in North America! I'm also amazed that in all the movies about Tombstone, they never mentioned this!

Archived